theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > The Market Place > Parts Wanted

Old 15-09-17, 09:43 AM   #1
p_b82
Site Supporter

p_b82 is a jewel in the roughp_b82 is a jewel in the roughp_b82 is a jewel in the rough
Fuel Tank

Hi All,

Not sure if any-one is breaking anything atm, but if you are, I'd be interested in the fuel-tank given that mine leaks!

Diesel ideally, but as apparently they are interchangable I'll anything that's sound

I've no idea if it makes a difference but if yes, mine's a hatch....
Dieselpowered
Fitting Custom Hybrid Turbo (1856GTBv) & controller; Remap, swirlpot, lift pump
AMW Motorsports
Custom exhaust manifold & downpipe
p_b82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-17, 12:02 PM   #2
peterzs
promoted bloke!

peterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to behold
Just seen this on f/b ZS Owners page

on here as well.

Stephen Golder
10 September at 00:19 · Glassford
Breaking Rover 45 Connoisseur Diesel
Rover 45 / MG ZS
PBT Bonnet £20...
See more
Image may contain: car
Old 15-09-17, 01:00 PM   #3
Lukeus101

Lukeus101 is a name known to allLukeus101 is a name known to allLukeus101 is a name known to allLukeus101 is a name known to allLukeus101 is a name known to allLukeus101 is a name known to allLukeus101 is a name known to all
The tank & filler neck is the same the only difference is the collar that prevents wrong pump selection on the forecourt

ZS Appreciation Facebook Group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/475756782447499/

> ZR 105 (Broken) > MK2 ZS 180 (Sold) > MK1 ZS 180 (Sold) > ZR Replica (Dead) > MK1 ZS 180 (Broken)
Lukeus101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-17, 03:16 PM   #4
ZS
IT Administrator

ZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of light
I have either a second hand tank on my breaker (180) or....

A brand spanking new tank, never been fitted.

I was keeping the new fuel tank in case its ever needed on my car. However, I need to do a full Rotary Engine rebuild, so need every £ I can find at the moment!

So, I have no idea how much its worth, Rimmers doesn't have any price as NLA... Make me an offer if you are interested (in either one, just let me know which you want) and we can go from there

I love it when people call me at 3 AM. "Hey, you asleep?" "No, I'm skydiving."

http://www.bexairbrushing.co.uk
ZS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-17, 03:42 PM   #5
p_b82
Site Supporter

p_b82 is a jewel in the roughp_b82 is a jewel in the roughp_b82 is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZS View Post
I have either a second hand tank on my breaker (180) or....

A brand spanking new tank, never been fitted.

I was keeping the new fuel tank in case its ever needed on my car. However, I need to do a full Rotary Engine rebuild, so need every £ I can find at the moment!

So, I have no idea how much its worth, Rimmers doesn't have any price as NLA... Make me an offer if you are interested (in either one, just let me know which you want) and we can go from there
I'd rather the brand new one for piece of mind....

I don't want to take the ****, also I have no idea what the asking price would be - there's nothing on ebay for R45 or MG ZS, but going on other model's "buy it now" for a new one how does £125+ postage sound?
(I could potentially collect pending distances)

Feel free to PM to haggle further and/or sort out details
Dieselpowered
AMW Motorsports
Old 16-09-17, 06:50 PM   #6
ZS Phil

ZS Phil has a spectacular aura aboutZS Phil has a spectacular aura about
You need one for a diesel. They are different to the petrol ones inside. The diesel one has a crude swirl pot attached to the bottom which the petrol ones don't have. It's more of a baffle really but still different. I know because I tried to fit a diesel one to my race car... It didn't work as the petrol pump hit the baffle. Might work the other way round but why risk an air bubble in the diesel supply due to lack of the baffle?
Old 17-09-17, 05:21 PM   #7
p_b82
Site Supporter

Thanks Phil - on looking more deeply, the ZS 180 and L series have a single hole tank - the smaller petrols a 2 hole.....

The haynes suggests that the difference with the two is indeed space for the fuel pump on the petrol - which we don't have on the diesel, as our fuel pump is on the front of the engine; in terms of it fitting, I shouldn't have a problem though.

As to needing a swirl-pot/baffle; should I find that I get issues, then a lift pump in the engine bay - pre fuel filter - would do the same thing (and is a thought anyway to help take a little load off the pump if I do go for big power with the custom injectors).

But......

I've got to cut my tank off - the nuts on the threaded bar are basically just rust (as I found out after disconnecting everything - should have checked them first!)...

So I need to get replacements on order before I get the dremmel out and a load of bricks for when the bolts are cut.

I've also learnt that diesel turns waxoil back into a liquid as I got covered in the stuff where I brushed against the under of the car where it had spilt.... and most of the back end of the car is pretty badly rusted as my eyes (then goggles) found out when it all fell in my face...
Dieselpowered
AMW Motorsports
Old 17-09-17, 09:57 PM   #8
peterzs
promoted bloke!

peterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to behold
petrol does the same as well.
Old 18-09-17, 09:09 PM   #9
ZS Phil

ZS Phil has a spectacular aura aboutZS Phil has a spectacular aura about
Even if you fit a lift pump along with a petrol fuel tank without the baffle you would still be more likely to get air in the system if you run it low and corner hard, lift pump won't stop it cavitating. Can get away with it a little in a petrol but if you get an air lock in the diesel pump its a full injector bleed.
If you keep it relatively full and you aren't pulling many g's on cornering I'm sure the petrol tank will be fine.

Last edited by ZS Phil; 18-09-17 at 09:11 PM.
ZS Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-17, 09:54 AM   #10
p_b82
Site Supporter

Good points and I'm not saying that you don't have very valid points.... and for car that the owner just wants to take off and bolt on I agree 100%

But getting my hands on a good non-crusty diesel tank had proved to be a bit more of a challenge than a new petrol one

I've done a bit of digging, and there are a number of options for older cars that didn't have swirl-pots or baffles that have fuel starvation issues; and there are few potential solutions...

https://goo.gl/YsVXAg

an inbuilt electric low pressure pump and swirl pot designed for older diesel beemers - mount it on the bulkhead and then feed the output-inputs into the tank line -> OE fuel filter...

Or more crudely get a truck fuel filter - the capacity of those typically can handle enough to act as a swirl pot in their own right on a smaller capacity diesel like our L-series.

For the short term, as you say I'm sure this'll be fine as is, just when I start to track it I'll need to plan accordingly
Dieselpowered
AMW Motorsports