theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > Technical Area > Build Projects

Old 02-10-11, 08:31 AM   #1
Maxxed_Ross
Events Organiser-Scotland

Maxxed_Ross has a spectacular aura aboutMaxxed_Ross has a spectacular aura about
Time for another mini-update I suppose

The front brakes are more or less finished being machined. But when we went to put everything together on the bench the standard ZS wheels that I was hoping to use as a stop gap don't fit over the BTCC brakes! Monumental Epic Fail on my part there...

So it looks like the centre lock wheels are back in the picture again. Efforts are being made as we speak to make bespoke hubs with the long centre stud

www.facebook.com/EX259

"It's not broken, it's an opportunity to upgrade!"
Maxxed_Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-11, 09:43 AM   #2
Ritchy
technically an expertish

Ritchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to all
woooo, kinda, think itll be worth the exra work ross
Old 02-10-11, 10:34 AM   #3
peterzs
promoted bloke!

peterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to behold
Have no idea what the BTCC front hubs are like, but no chance the MGB/RV8 front splined hubs would fit, or be man enough for the torque.

Just a thought, as it seems most of our ZS bits come out of some parts bin or orther, from the old Rover days!!!!
Old 02-10-11, 11:20 AM   #4
Drew

Drew has a spectacular aura aboutDrew has a spectacular aura about
ive got a very good m/c shop down here if you need anything?

Drew
Drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-11, 02:00 PM   #5
BUCKYDEVIL

BUCKYDEVIL has much to be proud ofBUCKYDEVIL has much to be proud ofBUCKYDEVIL has much to be proud ofBUCKYDEVIL has much to be proud ofBUCKYDEVIL has much to be proud ofBUCKYDEVIL has much to be proud ofBUCKYDEVIL has much to be proud ofBUCKYDEVIL has much to be proud ofBUCKYDEVIL has much to be proud ofBUCKYDEVIL has much to be proud ofBUCKYDEVIL has much to be proud of
So are you getting your Very own custom wheels then ?
Is there no resource for you to get BTCC wheels for the hubs.?
BUCKYDEVIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-11, 02:59 PM   #6
Maxxed_Ross
Events Organiser-Scotland

Maxxed_Ross has a spectacular aura aboutMaxxed_Ross has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterzs View Post
Have no idea what the BTCC front hubs are like, but no chance the MGB/RV8 front splined hubs would fit, or be man enough for the torque.

Just a thought, as it seems most of our ZS bits come out of some parts bin or orther, from the old Rover days!!!!
The ZS hubs are the same as Honda Integra I think, but when I looked into those hubs I was going to have exactly the same problem fitting those as I would the ones I was going to get from WSR. Because they were custom machined they don't fit any of the standard suspension points

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew View Post
ive got a very good m/c shop down here if you need anything?

Drew
I might need to take you up on that, the guy up here can do it but he's taking an age to do it. The car has been on axel stands since May now

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUCKYDEVIL View Post
So are you getting your Very own custom wheels then ?
Is there no resource for you to get BTCC wheels for the hubs.?
I looked into custom wheels and had Compomotive all lined up and ready to go, but the offset required (-20 I think it was) was going to put a hell of a stress on the rest of the hub components... and spacers for the standard wheels are out because the brakes foul them.

I already have 2 sets of BTCC wheels in the garage, the problem I had was that my hubs were a botched hybrid of the BTCC centre stud and a standard ZS hub welded together. It didn't look right and after all this work I didn't want to risk a failure half way round a corner.

Sooooo the whole thing has gone full circle and I'm having mu own bespoke hubs made up to fit the original BTCC wheels - complete with centre lock nuts

At this rate the brakes and hubs are going to cost more than my original budget for the whole build... so that should give an idea of how insane this has become now

www.facebook.com/EX259

"It's not broken, it's an opportunity to upgrade!"
Maxxed_Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-11, 03:08 PM   #7
Supercharged_Z
KV6 Supercharged

Supercharged_Z is just really niceSupercharged_Z is just really niceSupercharged_Z is just really niceSupercharged_Z is just really niceSupercharged_Z is just really nice
if i was you Ross, i would of gone to the Brembo setup from rovertech, 4 pots, 330mm disks easy peasy!! real good stoping power
Supercharged_Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-11, 06:39 PM   #8
Drew

Drew has a spectacular aura aboutDrew has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxxed_Ross View Post
The ZS hubs are the same as Honda Integra I think, but when I looked into those hubs I was going to have exactly the same problem fitting those as I would the ones I was going to get from WSR. Because they were custom machined they don't fit any of the standard suspension points
ive had a lot of parts made by force racing before, very high quality and the extra bling factor of titanium! think that came up iro ?2k for 2 bottom arms, 2 top arms, 2 hubs and 2 drive flanges for my metro!

centre lock drive flanges....

http://www.force-racing.co.uk/

Drew
Drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-11, 03:44 PM   #9
BUCKYDEVIL

BUCKYDEVIL has much to be proud ofBUCKYDEVIL has much to be proud ofBUCKYDEVIL has much to be proud ofBUCKYDEVIL has much to be proud ofBUCKYDEVIL has much to be proud ofBUCKYDEVIL has much to be proud ofBUCKYDEVIL has much to be proud ofBUCKYDEVIL has much to be proud ofBUCKYDEVIL has much to be proud ofBUCKYDEVIL has much to be proud ofBUCKYDEVIL has much to be proud of
Knowing what you've overblown your budget by and adding up total cost so far,
Would you have still started this in hindsight ?
It is an outstanding project and fair play to you for seeing it through but was there ever a point you felt like dumping the dream ?
BUCKYDEVIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-11, 06:49 PM   #10
carmadbaker

carmadbaker has a spectacular aura aboutcarmadbaker has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUCKYDEVIL View Post
but was there ever a point you felt like dumping the dream ?
If there wasn't then he is a stronger man i am! keep up the good work man

-MK1 MG ZS T16 Turbo 2.1
-Lotus Elise S2 111

You Can't Spell Dangerous Without "Dan"
carmadbaker is offline   Reply With Quote