AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > theMGZS.co.uk > General Discussion

Old 15-06-13, 10:06 AM   #1
maxtherotti

maxtherotti will become famous soon enough
Are v rated tyres legal on a zs 180

Hi all
I have just had 4 new tyres fitted to my straights and the garage has fitted v rated tyres (yes I asked for w) but he raised a point that as a v rated tyre is rated to 149.1mph it is above the capabilitys of the car hence fully legal
I should add he did me a good deal on them and is happy for me to take them back and change them on monday for some w rated (at a extra cost to me tho)
So my question is
Is it fully legal as the tyre is above the cars operating capability even tho it is below the manufacture fitted standard (which was a y rated tyre on the early ones!!!)

Cheers Rob
Old 15-06-13, 10:40 AM   #2
peterzs
promoted bloke!

peterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to behold
I'd be careful, have a look at this:-

http://www.blackcircles.com/general/speedrating

Insurance companies are so keen to wriggle out of paying, could use this against you.

What is the recommended rating for the car?? I,ve got Hankook Evo 12 W rating.
Old 15-06-13, 10:46 AM   #3
maxtherotti

The recommended rating is a W (up to 168mph)
The tyres i have had fitted are a V (up to 149mph)

We can clearly see both are way over the performance capabilities of the car (as much as we would like to think otherwise a zs180 is not a 150mph car!!! I belive its 132mph??)

So im well over what the car is capable of with a V rating but as this is below what was oe specced is it legal regarding insurance??

Cheers Rob
Old 15-06-13, 10:51 AM   #4
petet16
Technical Expert R.I.P.

petet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to behold
Tricky one, as you say a V rated tyre is well up to the capabilities of the car, but is not oe spec, which potentially could cause a problem with insurance, one suggestion is to ring your insurance company and ask them what the implications are.

R.I.P. Peter David Scott 18.07.59 to 21.11.16
Will be missed by us all but we will always remember you.

petet16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-13, 10:55 AM   #5
peterzs
promoted bloke!

peterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to behold
Think I'd have a word with a insurance company, maybe not your current one and dont give your reg.

Just ask what their recommendations would be if you had V instead of W rated tyres on the car.

Maybe the 168 mph figure gives a built in safety margin, may not be able to go that fast but the tyre can take more damage potholes etc.

However that Blackcircles thing does highlight the Insurance Company view, I'd be a bit worried unless I had it in writing from my Insurance Company that they were happy if I was running V rated.

Like anything else, its only if something happens and a assessor starts looking round the car.

Must admit I never skimp on brakes or tyres, things happen so fast and so many idiots out there, you never know whats round the corner.

My feeling would be to go for the W rated, just to be on the safe side, unless you can get a ruling from the Insurance Company.

Snap Pete!!

Last edited by peterzs; 15-06-13 at 10:56 AM. Reason: Pete beat me to it!!
peterzs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-13, 11:00 AM   #6
petet16
Technical Expert R.I.P.

petet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to behold
Snap indeed

I'd also want a written statement from the insurance if they decide to accept V rated in lieu of W, just in case they try to get clever if you should make a claim.

R.I.P. Peter David Scott 18.07.59 to 21.11.16
Will be missed by us all but we will always remember you.

petet16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-13, 11:14 AM   #7
talkingcars

talkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxtherotti View Post
We can clearly see both are way over the performance capabilities of the car (as much as we would like to think otherwise a zs180 is not a 150mph car!!! I belive its 132mph??)
I thought it was 139, I've seen 137 on the GPS on a private road, my son said it flashed over to 138, all in a standard car so a bit close to 149 for my liking.

There will always be a bit of leeway but I'd be happier with W's.
Old 15-06-13, 11:29 AM   #8
maxtherotti

Well have just returned them to get W's fitted
Shame as the nankangs that were fitted seem to get good write ups but not available in w rating so going for infinity

Rob
Old 15-06-13, 03:31 PM   #9
peterzs
promoted bloke!

Better safe, and all that, least you wont have any probs.
Old 15-06-13, 03:44 PM   #10
maxtherotti

Oh 100% agree
So thats my car wheel less untill tuesday lol
Good job it was allready up on axle stands!!!