theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > Technical Area > Build Projects

Old 10-07-16, 09:33 AM   #141
redzed

redzed has a spectacular aura aboutredzed has a spectacular aura about
Look forward to the updates! You can buy dry ice from gas suppliers like boc etc, easy to get if you can google local places, it's soooo much easier and better than using a heat gun and the metal is left scratch free and clean after.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stamford View Post
Thought I had better do some updates. Well the zed is sorned and as it is having starting issues I have just left it. It's not looking happy but life is throwing other things at me which are more important than the car.

• The dash is currently undergoing some gauge mods to liven it up a bit, so there's the usual wiring and plumbing to sort out.
  • Induction kit has been removed and due to the piping issues at the last trackday and having to use tank tape to repair I have deiced to do something different. So plans are to relocate the battery back to where it was before, inside the cabin. Then use the space where the battery was to mount the BMC and keep it away from the radiator. Get some alloy pipes and new hoses as the current ones are looking tired and soft.
  • Look to remove the aircon system and pump and anything else that's wasting away.
  • Remove the sound deadening material. Think that'll be the old fashioned way as no idea where I would get my hands on dry ice.
  • The biggest job is to cut the wheels arches out and up and fabricate some wider arches similar to the national hotrods and those I used to fit when racing on the ovals. Given up with the BTCC route as that seems pretty dead now. Would like to do this as per the BTCC but requires alot of mods and work to copy it.
Old 10-07-16, 10:04 AM   #142
talkingcars

talkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by stamford View Post
  • Induction kit has been removed and due to the piping issues at the last trackday and having to use tank tape to repair I have deiced to do something different. So plans are to relocate the battery back to where it was before, inside the cabin. Then use the space where the battery was to mount the BMC and keep it away from the radiator. Get some alloy pipes and new hoses as the current ones are looking tired and soft.
I like that idea, it seriously reduces inlet temps on my car.
Old 10-07-16, 10:37 AM   #143
stamford
Site Owner

stamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by talkingcars View Post
I like that idea, it seriously reduces inlet temps on my car.
It makes sense. It can be a bit tight down by the radiator plus up in that space where the battery is makes it easier to maintain. Can't really complain where it has been for the past 10 years as never had flow issues just maintenance.
Old 10-07-16, 10:45 AM   #144
stamford
Site Owner

stamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by redzed View Post
Look forward to the updates! You can buy dry ice from gas suppliers like boc etc, easy to get if you can google local places, it's soooo much easier and better than using a heat gun and the metal is left scratch free and clean after.
Found spray versions at Screwfix, youtube videos show this method so will give that a go and see how it performs.
Old 10-07-16, 10:47 AM   #145
Dan1971
Site Ambassador

Dan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud of
Feel free to announce a BBQ and all hands on deck day ...
Dan1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-16, 10:54 AM   #146
stamford
Site Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan1971 View Post
Feel free to announce a BBQ and all hands on deck day ...
We do need a get together, long overdue. Funny that as nearly finished tidying the garden and decking so a BBQ is on the cards to kick off the summer..............if we see one!
Old 10-07-16, 03:42 PM   #147
talkingcars

talkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to behold
This was the install on my mk1

(a bit grubby but you get the idea)

I plan to tee the throttle by-pass into the main hose as currently it draws hot air at tick over so the ECU applies the correct map for a hot intake.
As soon as you start to drive it has to adjust to a much cooler intake.

On the mk1 I still had the resonator box in place and the car tended to run about 5' above ambient.
On the mk2 there is no resonator box and it seems to be up to about 8' above.
I plan to cover the gap under the chassis rail with a plastic panel to stop heat from the radiator drifting into the under wing area.
Old 10-07-16, 07:42 PM   #148
daytona365

daytona365 is a jewel in the roughdaytona365 is a jewel in the roughdaytona365 is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by talkingcars View Post
This was the install on my mk1

(a bit grubby but you get the idea)

I plan to tee the throttle by-pass into the main hose as currently it draws hot air at tick over so the ECU applies the correct map for a hot intake.
As soon as you start to drive it has to adjust to a much cooler intake.

On the mk1 I still had the resonator box in place and the car tended to run about 5' above ambient.
On the mk2 there is no resonator box and it seems to be up to about 8' above.
I plan to cover the gap under the chassis rail with a plastic panel to stop heat from the radiator drifting into the under wing area.

you are right thats FILTHY......
Old 11-07-16, 08:18 PM   #149
stamford
Site Owner

Yes that's the idea James. Just been outside to do some more work bumper off, crash bar off. Found a pin size leak in the radiator, so that's got to come out now. So will be stripping the aircon system for sure as access will be easier. Found some rust around the front seams.
Old 13-07-16, 08:40 PM   #150
stamford
Site Owner

More done tonight. Headlights out. Condenser removed, some aircon pipes. Quite a few rusty brackets and fixings found. Rad fan connectors won't budge, had to cut the wires. It's starting to look like a breaker! Next will be to get the nose up on stands and drop the radiator as this needs either recording or a replacement. Then I can remove the aircon pump.