theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > theMGZS.co.uk > General Discussion

Old 18-06-13, 01:50 PM   #11
pheelay

pheelay is a jewel in the roughpheelay is a jewel in the roughpheelay is a jewel in the rough
There is surely a greater overall impact on the environment in scrapping and manufacturing new "eco" cars than continuing to run older cars. Especially for those doing low yearly mileage. If the goal is penalising pollution, then the only fair way to do that is replace motor/road tax with more tax on fuel.

No motor-tax here in France which is great for me for now Looking forward to moving back to Ireland in a couple months...not. Motor tax on the KV6 would be a whopping 1080€ (2497cc). Madness.

The way I look at it, it's the last chance now to run old-school nasp, gas guzzling, fun cars before we're all taxed to the scrap yard and into euro-minis
Old 18-06-13, 02:40 PM   #12
peterzs
promoted bloke!

peterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to behold
If you are on French plates, cant you run on them for a year.

Sure I remember someone going back to France and re-registering there, so they avoided paying the Road Tax as it was then.
Old 18-06-13, 03:15 PM   #13
Mark S

Mark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to all
The OP talks of cars up to 7 years old (as in 56/2006 and newer).

The title is 'Car Tax destroying GOOD Cars'

Can anyone name a 'Good' car in this age bracket that is only worth 1500 or less?

I can't...
Mark S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-13, 03:47 PM   #14
R8NMG

R8NMG will become famous soon enough
The whole VED banding based on CO2 is a joke.
R8NMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-13, 05:10 PM   #15
M17TT180

M17TT180 is a jewel in the roughM17TT180 is a jewel in the roughM17TT180 is a jewel in the roughM17TT180 is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by R8NMG View Post
The whole VED banding based on CO2 is a joke.
TBH I wouldn't mind spending 400 odd quid on road tax IF the money went on the roads.

They resurfaced the road outside my flat a few years ago and already its breaking apart. Not only that they didn't rip up the old surface and relay the tarmac they just tarmaced over the lot. Now the kerbstones are only about an inch or so high and where the surface is breaking up you can see the white lines underneath, plus they didn't bother to put down any road markings.

Don't get me started on Hertsmere council tho, they have buggered up my road big time, when I moved in it looked like this:

Now they have cut those big trees on the right down and the field at the top has had blue hordings around it for the last 3 years where they started to build some flats but ran out of money so its just been left like that. This was after much opposition from the local residents!

Lots of second- hand parts click HERE
Project Typhoon
M17TT180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-13, 05:22 PM   #16
tcb 180

tcb 180 will become famous soon enough
Talking of fuel. Went into my local Shell two weeks ago. Pump 10 delivered 37p then stopped. After about 5secs it started to pump again up to £2.62p but still no fuel had come out the nozzle? Told dopey staff and reported it twice to Shell online who have not had decency to even reply to me.

To top it all, went back in this week. Used pump 1 now. Guess what??? Yes 57p of fuel without a single drop coming out the spout and it stopped on me too.

Went in told them and refused to pay the 57p and drove off.

OK for trillion pound companies like Shell, but we can't afford to get ripped off.
tcb 180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-13, 05:38 PM   #17
daytona365

daytona365 is a jewel in the roughdaytona365 is a jewel in the roughdaytona365 is a jewel in the rough
While it can still buy petrol, i will still drive my ZS cos it makes me so happy. Pound for pound its cheaper than a prostitute, better for you than drugs............
daytona365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-13, 08:27 PM   #18
ZS
IT Administrator

ZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S View Post
The OP talks of cars up to 7 years old (as in 56/2006 and newer).

The title is 'Car Tax destroying GOOD Cars'

Can anyone name a 'Good' car in this age bracket that is only worth 1500 or less?

I can't...
I just posted the article from a news site

As for "Good car", surely that is Personal opinion? You can pick up a fairly "Good" condition Ford Focus or Mondeo on an 06\07 plate for around £1500 these days... Then there are vectra's of similar age and price as well as many other's.... When you look at the Dacia's which were only £5k or so NEW, they won't be far off £1500

I love it when people call me at 3 AM. "Hey, you asleep?" "No, I'm skydiving."

http://www.bexairbrushing.co.uk
ZS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-13, 11:20 PM   #19
andys1981

andys1981 is a jewel in the roughandys1981 is a jewel in the roughandys1981 is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZRed View Post
Environment my arse.

As long as America's still driving to work, we are pissing in the wind. Our public transport vehicle produce more reek than anything else on the road! Just another tax for us fools to pay.

There ain't no replacement, for displacement.
i agree with goldie on this one,its a joke
andys1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-13, 08:52 AM   #20
Mark S

Mark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZS View Post
I just posted the article from a news site

As for "Good car", surely that is Personal opinion? You can pick up a fairly "Good" condition Ford Focus or Mondeo on an 06\07 plate for around £1500 these days... Then there are vectra's of similar age and price as well as many other's.... When you look at the Dacia's which were only £5k or so NEW, they won't be far off £1500
I used to work in the trade and still have access to cap & glasses etc.

it would need to be a V6 mondeo to hit the higher tax, they are still trading (not retail) for 2-2500.
The 1.8 & 2.0 are pretty cheap to tax, as are the Dacia's!

The only thing I could find was a PT cruiser 2.4 auto that Cap's at 1500 - retail was 2500 tho.
This was an awful car new.

Obviously if the car had been to the moon and back half a dozen times it would be worth peanuts, but then you would need to question the reason for scrapping - tax or mega miles, worthless and worn out!

This is just another typical example of low level journalism using shock tactics.

I doubt the writer could find even a few cars this applies to.
Mark S is offline   Reply With Quote