theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > Technical Area > Build Projects > Smokey's site track day car

Old 17-01-11, 10:22 AM   #41
lawrence-zs180

lawrence-zs180 is on a distinguished road
thats awsome news.
Old 17-01-11, 10:36 AM   #42
mgzsturbo2008

mgzsturbo2008 is on a distinguished road
The reason it is advisable tochange the water pump at the same time as the belt is that a water pump can fail at any time and being driven by the cam belt it can ruin your engine. say if the bearings give up in the pump? the timing belt becomes slack and bye bye valves.
Also as for changing the clutch and bits and bobs if it aint broken dont fix it. A long as its good to last for a while then use it. I have seen a few cars with water pump failure and plenty of smashed valves.
Just swapped 2 engines this weekend (1.8t out of zs into zr and 1.8k from a 45 into a zs)
I could have spent endless money renewing parts but as long as its gonna last a while then thats all that matters. Thinking of the pennies!
mgzsturbo2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-11, 10:44 AM   #43
peterzs
promoted bloke!

peterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to behold
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgzsturbo2008 View Post
The reason it is advisable tochange the water pump at the same time as the belt is that a water pump can fail at any time and being driven by the cam belt it can ruin your engine. say if the bearings give up in the pump? the timing belt becomes slack and bye bye valves.
Also as for changing the clutch and bits and bobs if it aint broken dont fix it. A long as its good to last for a while then use it. I have seen a few cars with water pump failure and plenty of smashed valves.
Just swapped 2 engines this weekend (1.8t out of zs into zr and 1.8k from a 45 into a zs)
I could have spent endless money renewing parts but as long as its gonna last a while then thats all that matters. Thinking of the pennies!
Agree with all that, not free next week are you?????

Old 17-01-11, 10:49 AM   #44
ZS
IT Administrator

ZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of light
MGRover's official line is only to replace the Pump if it is leaking... Therefore you have to request it is done or else they won't do it.

I love it when people call me at 3 AM. "Hey, you asleep?" "No, I'm skydiving."

http://www.bexairbrushing.co.uk
ZS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-11, 10:52 AM   #45
rakester

rakester is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercharged_Z View Post
i wouldnt worry about this at all.

Running 260 odd bhp with the supercharged car i did over 150 runs at pod and a few track days as nasp and supercharged and had not one issue or whine!!

they must be impoved in the newer cars
Hmm to my knowledge all the PG1's use the same type of plastic shielded bearings (new and old) and common thing with the turbo boys is to steel cage the boxes (t16 engine use same gearbox).

Shall look more into this as if you are right will save me a headache of ripping my current box apart
rakester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-11, 10:55 AM   #46
mgzsturbo2008

mgzsturbo2008 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterzs View Post
Agree with all that, not free next week are you?????

HA i wish i was free. Always fixing someones car. for example last weekend on friday night i finished work at 5:30 came back at 8pm stayed untill 7:10 am the next morning putting and engine into a zs then spent the remainder of the day untill 1 working then satyed untill 7pm putting a turbo engine into my zr . If you was closer i wouldnt mind helping at all. I have a passion for mgs and cars i love doing what i do
mgzsturbo2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-11, 11:01 AM   #47
peterzs
promoted bloke!

peterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to behold
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgzsturbo2008 View Post
HA i wish i was free. Always fixing someones car. for example last weekend on friday night i finished work at 5:30 came back at 8pm stayed untill 7:10 am the next morning putting and engine into a zs then spent the remainder of the day untill 1 working then satyed untill 7pm putting a turbo engine into my zr . If you was closer i wouldnt mind helping at all. I have a passion for mgs and cars i love doing what i do
Used to be a bit like that with my MGB, went back into our workshop, pulled engine out or whatever, but the wife used to come with me and about midnight started to get an ear tug.

I'm sure you would help if poss, hope the turbo ZR's going well.

Old 17-01-11, 01:12 PM   #48
Smokey
The Alan Gow of OBTCC

Smokey is a splendid one to beholdSmokey is a splendid one to beholdSmokey is a splendid one to beholdSmokey is a splendid one to beholdSmokey is a splendid one to beholdSmokey is a splendid one to beholdSmokey is a splendid one to beholdSmokey is a splendid one to beholdSmokey is a splendid one to beholdSmokey is a splendid one to behold
Well I am extremely please that you are able to help George. If you could pm me a contact number we can arrange the finer details.

Will need to know what parts are needed other than belts/tensioners if anything and if you need a place to stay for the night and some food, I can provide both

Once George has done the belts with me, who will be available in the following 2 weeks to come and offer experienced help swapping the engines? (food/bed can be provided too!)

2009 Forza 2 theMGZS.co.uk OBTCC 2nd Place Runner-up
2009/2010 Forza 3 theMGZS.co.uk OBTCC/Clio Cup 4th Place
2010 Forza 3 theMGZS.co.uk OBTCC/F500 Cup 2nd Place Runner-up
2011 Forza 3 theMGZS.co.uk OBTCC/Driver's Championship 3rd Place
2012 Forza 4 theMGZS.co.uk OBTCC/Driver's Championship 1st Place Winner
2012/2013 Forza 4 theMGZS.co.uk OBTCC/DTM Championship 3rd Place

Last edited by Smokey; 17-01-11 at 01:14 PM.
Smokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-11, 01:48 PM   #49
ZS
IT Administrator

ZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of light
Shame your too far north Smokey, otherwise I'd offer a helping hand

Maybe we need a Track car down south too... hmmmm....

I love it when people call me at 3 AM. "Hey, you asleep?" "No, I'm skydiving."

http://www.bexairbrushing.co.uk
ZS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-11, 02:09 PM   #50
grimmy

As said previously i will lend a hand as much as I can