theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > Technical Area > Build Projects

Old 26-08-19, 05:07 PM   #41
LukeZS96

LukeZS96 is on a distinguished road
If the rest of the bolts came out easy and you have access to a small air grinder or can get access with a hacksaw possibly cut slots in the bolts and use a flathead screwdriver or even an impact driver with a flat head bit to remove the bolts?
LukeZS96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-19, 07:57 PM   #42
Dan1971
Site Ambassador

Dan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud of
The fix for that sort of thing I see in car shows, is to weld a bolt onto the difficult part, then undo the bolt.

No idea if that'd be any good for you though ...
Dan1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-19, 08:51 PM   #43
ZS
IT Administrator

ZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of light
I remembered I had a very obscure Nut extractor set, I purchased it years back for removing a locking wheel nut but it turned out it was not suitable, so I promptly "put it away" and forgot about it.

When I had remembered, then found it again I hammered the correct size on the bolt and used a normal socket to remove the bolt from the car

Anyway, got really far into the rebuild to find the pistons and rods are good, removed one piston and went to install the forged ones I have, to find they are 85mm pistons, not 84.45mm as were sold to me (84.45 is std size, in case anyone needed clarification). Upshot is they don't fit unless I re-bore!

cleaned the Mahle pistons up and refitted for now, then ran out of light so tidied up for the night!

So now I have a set of 85mm Wossner forged pistons on PEC rods, that I can't fit to my car... Will have to think of my next move over the next few days.

I love it when people call me at 3 AM. "Hey, you asleep?" "No, I'm skydiving."

http://www.bexairbrushing.co.uk
ZS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-19, 10:41 PM   #44
stamford
Site Owner

stamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud of
At a loss as to why hex socket head shoulder bolts have been used. They are hardened bolts and would need grinding. I would go for a rebore if possible.
Old 28-08-19, 10:41 PM   #45
talkingcars

talkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to behold
Good to see progress.

The TF that donated it's subframes to my F came from near Bordon.
Old 07-12-19, 12:36 PM   #46
Street Elite

Street Elite is on a distinguished road
I don't think those bolts are std for the sump.

Drew - streetelite.co.uk
Street Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-19, 08:23 PM   #47
talkingcars

talkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Elite View Post
I don't think those bolts are std for the sump.

Drew - streetelite.co.uk
Defiantly not, the standard bolts are regular hex bolts.
Old 02-03-20, 11:55 AM   #48
ZS
IT Administrator

ZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of light
Finally got the engine back together this weekend and topped up all fluids.

Car initially fired up with a very obvious missfire, turns out one of the HT leads was not pushed in firmly enough.

Once that was sorted the engine runs, but not as smooth as I would like... There is a very slight lumpiness to the engine and it seems to threaten to stall every now and then.

Since this appears to be the Mems 1.6 ECU (Dizzy engine from a 420 Turbo) I can't just put it on my normal Diagnostics.

To this end, does anyone, localish to Bordon, have a T4 or PScan or another Diagnostics that will connect to the Rover 3-pin plug on the ECU so I can check all the sensors etc? I am hoping that will tell me, or at least guide me, to the root of the "something is not quite right".

I love it when people call me at 3 AM. "Hey, you asleep?" "No, I'm skydiving."

http://www.bexairbrushing.co.uk
ZS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-20, 05:03 PM   #49
peterzs
promoted bloke!

peterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to behold
Smile

well done for getting where you are at now.

hope it is just a sensor or bit of adjustment.

would a rolling road point you in the right direction???

found these https://www.bteautomotive.co.uk/DIAGNOSTICS don't know if they could help.

Old 02-03-20, 10:05 PM   #50
talkingcars

I'd happily bring my pscan over but I don't have the MEMS 1.6 lead.