theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > theMGZS.co.uk > General Discussion

Old 20-10-19, 02:05 PM   #1
AdamElphick

AdamElphick is on a distinguished road
Tailgate struts

Not been about much as had a long bout of illness, but at the start of the cold snap, when trying to put shopping in the boot the hatch just wouldn't stay up and was super heavy to lift. Then next day the lifters gave up completely.

Anyway I checked on the Bay of E and struts were 20 quid for second hand! I did some hunting and found a seller doing brand new R45 ones for £11 a pair including postage. Messaged them and they agreed they should fit fine.

2 days later they arrived and this morning I went to fit them. I'm still really weak at the mo but bloody hell that hatch is heavy! I popped the first old lifter off and it nearly crushed me, so they were still just about helping. Anyway after struggling and fitting the two new ones (easy clip on) I can't believe the difference. The hatch had always had to be lifted up gently, but now wow, unpop it and a slight touch and up it goes!

The ones I got are item number 123837907680 so anyone who has to 'lift' the hatch at all try them. A bargain at this price!

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk
AdamElphick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-19, 06:50 PM   #2
talkingcars

talkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to behold
Sounds like a bargain.

One question though, do you regularly lubricate the struts? I normally a drop, and I mean literally a drop of engine oil off the end of the dip stick.
Old 20-10-19, 06:57 PM   #3
AdamElphick

Erm... Nope! Lol. I'll do that from now on. They must have been on the way when I got given the car I guess, and just lost the will in the latest cold lol.

Thanks for the tip.

On another good note, not lost any coolant since I did the skanky thermostat housing all those months ago.

Old 20-10-19, 07:19 PM   #4
stamford
Site Owner

stamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud of
I need some for my ZT-T tailgate. Same problem, plenty of glass struts but only used tailgate ones. Yes them are heavy buggers for sure.
Old 20-10-19, 08:44 PM   #5
AdamElphick

Quote:
Originally Posted by stamford View Post
I need some for my ZT-T tailgate. Same problem, plenty of glass struts but only used tailgate ones. Yes them are heavy buggers for sure.
Is this item them? 123837907823