theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > Technical Area > Build Projects

Old 13-01-15, 03:47 PM   #1
GalleyZS

GalleyZS is on a distinguished road
Resurrection

I've been running my mk2 ZS+ 120 since August, its far from perfect and I see it as an on road project.

In 2011 my Dad bought the car as spares for his other ZS, it needed a piston and the engine rebuilding pretty much.

However plans changed he through the engine together on the cheap and it then served him as a run about until about April 2014 when after 25k miles the engine had pretty much began to eat its self. It seemed the ZS was scrap yard bound despite new brakes all round and wheel bearings.

My car at the time a mk2 25 had issues of its own it through drive shafts out. So my parents had the idea knowing I love mk2 ZS's to give me the car and buy a low mileage replacement engine for my 21st.

We fitted the engine, exhaust flexi was repaired, new timing belt and clutch, fuel filter and other bits and pieces and it flew through the MOT.

Since signing it to my name I have done further things to bring it back from the scruffy run around to a tidy motor.

The interior has been cleaned , rear seat foams replaced (brake fluid spill related) managed to clean the alecantra covers.
Front bumper repaired and hung correctly.
Bright white bulbs fitted.
Black Auto Art rear lights.
De-wiper
K&N Panel
Diesel Centre section
Dash lighting colour changes
Sony Head unit (previously from my 25 also matches dash lighting)
Remote audio steering wheel controls
Chrome front kick plates
and probably a few other minor things I have forgotten.

Eventually I would like to get a re-spray as the paint work is pretty scratched and there are a couple small dinks , probably invisible from a far but I know where they are.

Over the last week I have been trying to address the sagging rear bumper, I've engineered fix for the side hangers and should manufacture a replacement bumper support in the next few days. Then all being good the bumper will sit right.

Remember two more things, Carbon Wraped interior trim as I hated the naff silver colour and also new badges!

Last edited by GalleyZS; 13-01-15 at 03:59 PM.
GalleyZS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-15, 03:52 PM   #2
GalleyZS

Oh also today on a scrap yard trawl I found some stainless steel rear kick plates in a 400. The plastics were light grey so I just took the stainless plates and fitted them to my plastics. £3 well spent!!!

Old 13-01-15, 03:59 PM   #3
top_man_eldo

top_man_eldo is a jewel in the roughtop_man_eldo is a jewel in the roughtop_man_eldo is a jewel in the rough
Excellent, it looks great. I'd love to have the patience to do the carbon wrapping thing to my interior. I did try it but I just couldn't get the hang of it, plus other things took priority. There definitely is a knack to it!
top_man_eldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-15, 04:02 PM   #4
adam

adam has a spectacular aura aboutadam has a spectacular aura about
Looking very nice there!
Old 13-01-15, 04:09 PM   #5
peterzs
promoted bloke!

peterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to behold
Smile

Good to see one saved, so many getting broken.

Good luck and hope all the next changes are a easy fix.

Old 13-01-15, 04:10 PM   #6
GalleyZS

Quote:
Originally Posted by top_man_eldo View Post
Excellent, it looks great. I'd love to have the patience to do the carbon wrapping thing to my interior. I did try it but I just couldn't get the hang of it, plus other things took priority. There definitely is a knack to it!
I used 3D effect carbon wrap of ebay it was anti bubble stuff that can breath effectively so it's impossible to get air bubbles.
Takes abit of the difficulty out of it.
Old 13-01-15, 04:13 PM   #7
top_man_eldo

top_man_eldo is a jewel in the roughtop_man_eldo is a jewel in the roughtop_man_eldo is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalleyZS View Post
I used 3D effect carbon wrap of ebay it was anti bubble stuff that can breath effectively so it's impossible to get air bubbles.
Takes abit of the difficulty out of it.
I tried the ash tray on mine and just couldn't get it looking decent - I had the same anti-bubble stuff, even heating it with a hair dryer I couldn't stretch it round without it creasing or looking naff!

Fair play though, top effort with that.
top_man_eldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-15, 05:29 PM   #8
talkingcars

talkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to behold
Looking foward to more posts on your progress.
talkingcars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-15, 06:14 PM   #9
Dan1971
Site Ambassador

Dan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud of
Looks like a decent car mate.

Like the hatches personally. Looks nice on those alloys too.

Good effort and well done mum and dad !
Dan1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-15, 07:23 PM   #10
grimmy
its ginger its phenomenal

grimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud of
Well done on saving another.