theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > Galleries > Members Cars

Old 29-06-09, 05:21 PM   #11
Maxxed_Ross
Events Organiser-Scotland

Maxxed_Ross has a spectacular aura aboutMaxxed_Ross has a spectacular aura about
cheers guys

yes it was a total blast until I broke the clutch cable. This time out was just a shake down event anyway to see what fell off / needed changed... turns out a few things

I did indeed buy it off Rovertech... but it was in a fairly bad way and needed alot of work to finish it off. I've already had to replace the brake system totally, finish wiring in the T16 properly as half the gauges didn't work and sort out a stack of other little niggles

I'll get a spec list fired up in memebrs motors when I get a chance... but for comparison that Evo FQ300 only *just* got past me on the main straight... then held me up in the corners!

As Kev has spotted the ZT does indeed have site stickers... mine has a small one on the back window and a large one on the lower grille splitter bit... but being white on orange you can't see it very well.

The ZT was one of the very few race shells produced by S&R, and has a hand built Mustang 520 engine fitted to it. Putting it on the trailer at Dreadnought the only way I could desribe the noise is a bit like a Nascar with an MG body on it.... the ground shakes!

It's just had an engine re-build so it was out on track to put some miles on it and to scare willing passengers senseless lol

It's off to do some promotional work at Silverstone at the weekend and it'll (Hopefully) be at Fast and Modified for a drifting demo. I'll try and get some more pics of it next time I'm up there.

As pointed out check out the link in my signature. We're trying to get Paul into the BTCC next year but it's going to be a very up-hill struggle to get enough money together to make it a reality... BTCC aint a cheap sport to get into. So far WSR and a few other big names are on board so it's looking good.

Get yourself on the site and check it out... and you too could have your name on the car!

www.facebook.com/EX259

"It's not broken, it's an opportunity to upgrade!"
Maxxed_Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-09, 08:26 PM   #12
Dave ZS-X

Dave ZS-X is on a distinguished road
looks like a great track day.
What spec is the t16, id expect it to muller an fq 300 on the straights

Dave

Dave
Dave ZS-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-09, 10:40 PM   #13
Maxxed_Ross

Maxxed_Ross has a spectacular aura aboutMaxxed_Ross has a spectacular aura about
I was struggling to get it to change gear properly... I think the clutch cable had stretched so that it was still dragging slightly. Eventually broke so we'll see next month what it's like with the clutch working as it should

www.facebook.com/EX259

Old 01-07-09, 09:51 AM   #14
arwilson80
Founding Members

arwilson80 is on a distinguished road
Sounds like you had fun...

"People in cars cause accidents. Accidents in cars cause people. Drive only with proper protection."
"You should try one. It's bloody good" - Jeremy Clarkson (commenting after driving a ZS180)
"Fines are a tax for doing bad, Taxes are a fine for doing good" - Unknown
GPS - Because guys don't know how to ask directions

MG ZS 180
3.5L V6 Ford Taurus
2.7L V6 EcoBoost Ford F150 4x4
arwilson80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-09, 09:02 PM   #15
tinyszs

tinyszs is on a distinguished road
nice cars and pics mate
Old 19-09-09, 01:51 PM   #16
Maxxed_Ross

some more updates

Some drastic progress has been made recently

The results from the second test run at Knockhill are in... and it's not good

First off I fitted a new clutch cable with cleared up all the gearbox issues from first time out, a fantastic start.... but not for long.

The battery had gone flat since it had been sitting for just over 2 weeks without moving... nothing too unusual there... and that rear calliper had totally seized again - but I have a new one waiting to go on during the winter re-build (£60 for stupid little rear calliper!)

Started with the jump pack no bother, moved it into the garage... did some work on it, discovered all the alloy valve caps are seized solid so I can't check tyre pressures, fitted standard rear lights as the Motobodge ones are a bit ugly in ASBO Orange IMO, finished off the full-beam unit cold air feed pipe and went to move it back out again... *click*, *whrrrr*, *spark spark BANG!*

Starter motor decided to blow up in spectacular fashion. taking with it the fuel gauge (which is now stuck on full constantly) and frying some aspect of the SRS system so that the light constantly pulses on and off like a flickering light bulb!

Managed to bump start it and get it onto the trailer... only to whack one of the tie hoops and take a chunk out of the wheel

So anyway at Knockhill I bump it again and head out onto the track. About 20 mins into the session the fuel gauge is still stuck, the temperature gauge is off the scale again and the engine is starting to sound like a bag of mixed broken spanners... Then to top it all off it starts raining - and the wipers refuse to park. They just stop when you let go of the lever - then not paying attention I totally miss the braking point for the first corner and end up drifing round it in a huge arc ending up in a gravel trap (luckily just some stone rash on the alloys and a crack to the rear bib are all the damage sustained) ...fantastic

So I come into the pits to let "old clunky" cool off a bit. Cue huge steam explosion and much hissing from the expansion bottle - this time it has actually over heated.

Oil check.... ah there appears to be next to none and it's scalding hot - that can't be good

To top it all off, I get black flagged for sounding like I'm about to blow up

Back at home base and the cause of the oil departure becomes clear. The sump has a huge chunk missing and the down pipe from the exhaust looks like it's been driven full speed into a kerb at some point.... most likely speed bump damage - resulting in a crack next to the drain plug. The gearbox oil seal is leaking and the oil return feed to the turbo is loose because the bolt holding it in is too long and has bottomed out

Good job the engine is coming out soon anyway to fit a new ZR 160 gearbox... because there's a stack more to do to it now!

On the up side, I stripped out the dash today and started prepping it for the carbon custom one I'm making up. Since most of it didn't work anyway it made sense to loose the weight. The heater box wasn't connected to anything and half the loom was either butchered or not plugged in... so it's all in the skip now

I couldn't believe how much the dash alone weighed, and how HUGE the heating system is.... that's all ripped out now too The cabin looks massive now

The standard clocks will also be going and being replaced by aftermarket ones including a rev counter in the middle, some temperature and pressure gauges and various switches for the few electricals that remain. 90% of the harness is now redundant so I might attempt to take that out if I have the time... but likely it'll stay in to save hassle

I also fitted a couple of new toys, including new DTM mirrors (because the standard ones kept moving!) and some graphics

So that's how it stands so far. I have a new gearbox and starter sitting ready to go in next time I'm back onshore, the ZS180 brakes are nearly all here.

Ordered the rev counter and some of the gauges today

Getting a drawing made up for the new alloy dash template over the weekend, then once that's made up it'll hopefully be getting made in carbon fibre

fuel gauge ordered

I have an FIA battery isolator switch in the post, so that will be fitted when the battery is moved into the spare wheel well

www.facebook.com/EX259

Old 19-09-09, 01:51 PM   #17
Maxxed_Ross

Right another update on the monster since it's not had much action recently

Finally got it booked into the garage to have the engine taken out in the next few weeks... but it'll be the same one going back in due to funding issues.

So basically it'll be stripped right down, all the worn out bits replaced and the cooling system given a good going over and clean out.

Going to try and get a better clutch in there too, so if anyone has any suggestions let me know! They need to be good for 300bhp or there abouts.

After that it's going to my mate Rab at rab's Bodyworld for a full XPower stylee respray. After attempting to touch up the Porsche orange a failing I've been royally hacked off with it. Black should be simple and easy incase of any "incidents"

The straights I bought are now black and will be fitted with my old R888's for drag strip action, while the Addendums are being fitted with a fresh set for the next season of track nights.

After that who knows, depending on how it runs - and more importantly how close to me they start selling Bio-ehanol - it'll be re-mapped with a bigger fuel pump

The custom dash is well on the way and all the gauges, switches, LEDs ect are ready to go in... plus the battery will now deffo be going in the boot thanks to TJ's extra long positive lead

Anyway... thats the plan!

www.facebook.com/EX259

Old 19-09-09, 01:52 PM   #18
Maxxed_Ross

Another little update today, just bought this little bad boy for capturing all the action

http://www.4kam.com/helmet_camera_bu...m_packages.htm

Went for the HD version so the quality should be good since it's the same gear Motors TV uses!

Bought a few other toys to go with it, and it was still half the price of the same system from Veecam... who wanted £750!!!!!

www.facebook.com/EX259

Old 19-09-09, 03:32 PM   #19
talkingcars

talkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to behold
The best forum for T16 info is www.rovertech.net.
Old 19-09-09, 04:11 PM   #20
Maxxed_Ross

I'm on there already, since that's where the original owner had it up for sale

www.facebook.com/EX259