theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > Galleries > Members Cars

Old 07-08-09, 09:54 PM   #1
SheppeyTrio

SheppeyTrio is on a distinguished road
MPG for my 04 plate ZS180

I've just driven from Ilse of Sheppey in Kent to Bodmin in Cornwall which was a 285 mile trip. I filled up the tank before i left and filled it up again when i got here, i used 38.20L. Which if my maths is right, to get gallons i divided the 38.20 by 4.5 (U.K. gallons) which equals 8.48 gallons! Divide the milage by the gallons (285/8.48) which equals 33.61 m.p.g. Does this sound reasonable for a 2.5 V6? I'm gonna re-do the same on the way home on sunday just to clarify the numbers! I had the climate control on most of the trip so not sure if this would make a difference? So i'm gonna keep it off on the way home.

SheppeyTrio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-09, 10:01 PM   #2
stamford
Site Owner

stamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud of
What else were you carrying, passengers, boot items etc? Speeds and driving style? Could be average but alot depends on the data. If carrying more than the normal load then it is good.
Old 07-08-09, 10:23 PM   #3
SheppeyTrio

Quote:
Originally Posted by stamford View Post
What else were you carrying, passengers, boot items etc? Speeds and driving style? Could be average but alot depends on the data. If carrying more than the normal load then it is good.
I had 2 dogs on the back seat, my mother in the passengers seat, a fair bit in the boot but nothing too heavy. On average i'd say about 75/80 mph on motorways . Not sure on the style, i was following my wife in her ZS 120.
Old 08-08-09, 06:18 AM   #4
will-w

will-w is on a distinguished road
When you say 75/80, was that an indicated speed, or a speed given by your satnav?

As the ZS speedo can be very out at those speeds, very out indeed!

All things considered, 33mpg on a run seems a little low... I would have been expecting 35-40 rather than 30-35!

Maybe worth a trip to see Ralph at EMS to get a full service done?

Derv power baby!

will-w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-09, 07:41 AM   #5
Yampiedog

Yampiedog is on a distinguished road
The litres should be divided by 4.54 to be more precise.
285 / 8.414 = 33.9 mpg average fuel consumption.
That's good going on a 180 with some load.
To get anymore out of the 180 you would have stick at 50-60

Mercedes Vito
Yampiedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-09, 08:15 AM   #6
SticklesMickles

SticklesMickles is on a distinguished road
I went for a long weekend break a few months back, me and the missus, plus various bits and bobs, and i managed 33mpg on the trip down, i usually average around 25-26 going to work and stuff
SticklesMickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-09, 08:50 AM   #7
talkingcars

talkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to behold
Shep mate - did you get the figures for the 120? That would be an interesting comparision.

As for your 33ish mpg, that is resonable for the 180.

Several times a year I make the same trip from West Sussex to Stoke on Trent and back -
Driven with ecconomy in mind - gentle acceleration, as little brakes as possible etc.....31 mpg
Driven fast as I was late..........got there much quicker than I should........................29 mpg
Driven normally with the flow - normal use of acceleration and brakes........................33 mpg

over the 400 mile trip that still only makes a few £ diffrence, the real cost is local driving, as little as 20mpg, I got my scanguage yesterday so I'll be doing some real time studies on the diffrent styles of driving on and off boost (soz, VIS).

Incidently I have done the trip to Stoke in our old 1.4 R100, used about the same amount of fuel!

Last edited by talkingcars; 08-08-09 at 08:55 AM.
talkingcars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-09, 08:56 AM   #8
SheppeyTrio

Quote:
Originally Posted by will-w View Post
When you say 75/80, was that an indicated speed, or a speed given by your satnav?

As the ZS speedo can be very out at those speeds, very out indeed!

All things considered, 33mpg on a run seems a little low... I would have been expecting 35-40 rather than 30-35!

Maybe worth a trip to see Ralph at EMS to get a full service done?

That was indicated speed. Just had it serviced at EMS, always like to make sure things r ok before a long journey. I'm gonna get a Scan Guage for the car so i can keep and eye on things!

All things considered, i'm quite happy with the performance of it. I didn't use much more petrol than the wifes 120 so not too bad!

Last edited by SheppeyTrio; 08-08-09 at 09:04 AM.
Old 08-08-09, 01:09 PM   #9
carmadbaker

carmadbaker has a spectacular aura aboutcarmadbaker has a spectacular aura about
na thats really good tbh mate, i dragged 31mpg out of my ZS on my trip to and fro from santa pod, fully loaded too. Don't immediately think that the slower you go the less fuel you use.....i can plod at 80-85mph on a flat road with the engine unloaded and pull 45mpg!! <<difficult to keep it to that with inclines etc! yet only pull 30mpg odd at 50-60mph... strange ah? guess your making the engine load harder therefore using more fuel

-MK1 MG ZS T16 Turbo 2.1
-Lotus Elise S2 111

You Can't Spell Dangerous Without "Dan"
carmadbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-09, 07:42 PM   #10
Dan1971
Site Ambassador

Dan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud of
Sounds fair to me mate .... Sounds as though she's still going well !!!
Dan1971 is offline   Reply With Quote