theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > Technical Area > Build Projects

Old 07-09-15, 06:50 PM   #261
peterzs
promoted bloke!

peterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to behold
Smile

good luck, sounds like you are on the homeward run.

Old 08-09-15, 10:02 AM   #262
p_b82
Site Supporter

p_b82 is a jewel in the roughp_b82 is a jewel in the roughp_b82 is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZS Phil View Post
Exciting times

Make sure you get loads of pics of the turbo install. Can't wait to see what power it runs.

My TD is currently SORN in the garage with a load of cardboard underneath it acting as an incontinence pad.
The 330D is fine but I miss driving a ZS daily sooooo much.
Oh dear not so good.....

I am at the mercy of Matt for pictures... he tends to be rather less inclined to take them while he is working, so I'll see what I can get....

And i know what you mean, the ZS might not be the 'best' car out there by any stretch, but you miss em when not driving them!
Dieselpowered
Fitting Custom Hybrid Turbo (1856GTBv) & controller; Remap, swirlpot, lift pump
AMW Motorsports
Custom exhaust manifold & downpipe
p_b82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-15, 01:00 PM   #263
p_b82
Site Supporter

p_b82 is a jewel in the roughp_b82 is a jewel in the roughp_b82 is a jewel in the rough
ZS passed MOT last week, and was notified that the parts are on the way to Matt currently.... time is getting really rather tight on this one, as still waiting for the controller too....

Fingers crossed it makes the October deadline, although I don't think we'll have time to do all the airbox side of things, as planned, but that can wait for another time!

If not it is going to be a long holiday again as Matt is away, and then taking a well deserved break.... urgh, I hate deadlines like this!
Dieselpowered
AMW Motorsports
Old 23-09-15, 01:17 PM   #264
Rockey5uk2001

Rockey5uk2001 has a spectacular aura aboutRockey5uk2001 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by p_b82 View Post
ZS passed MOT last week, and was notified that the parts are on the way to Matt currently.... time is getting really rather tight on this one, as still waiting for the controller too....

Fingers crossed it makes the October deadline, although I don't think we'll have time to do all the airbox side of things, as planned, but that can wait for another time!

If not it is going to be a long holiday again as Matt is away, and then taking a well deserved break.... urgh, I hate deadlines like this!
fingers crossed for you mate.
Rockey5uk2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-15, 05:19 PM   #265
ZS Phil

ZS Phil has a spectacular aura aboutZS Phil has a spectacular aura about
hope it all comes together for you but no point rushing things now!
Old 24-09-15, 09:09 AM   #266
peterzs
promoted bloke!

peterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to behold
Smile

good luck with it.

Old 26-09-15, 11:53 PM   #267
dakta

dakta is on a distinguished road
Quote:
It's being covered, I have hit a snag with the hot air station I use for soldering surface mount IC's to the board (put simply, the one i've got isn't working as well as it used to which is holding things up).. Not your fault, or the controllers fault either but it's given me a headache, as some of the components needed for the controller are available in surface mount packaging only and are virtually impossible to do by hand.

Thats the bad news, the good news (or bad news depending how you see it) is I've actually got some more orders for the vnt controller too, so given that I need to make myself one as well, there's actually quite a lot of demand for these at the moment, so I am trying to get them out of my hair asap.

Do be assured though, your controller is in assembly. Because these are one off, bespoke electronic designs there is i'm afraid a bit of a delay between an 'order' and one being built.

I don't know how much you need the car on a daily basis, but if you wanted to drop it off up here like you do with matt for the controller fitting and initial tuning etc, might be able to sort something out.

Last edited by dakta; 27-09-15 at 12:02 AM.
dakta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-15, 10:06 AM   #268
p_b82
Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakta View Post
It's being covered, I have hit a snag with the hot air station I use for soldering surface mount IC's to the board (put simply, the one i've got isn't working as well as it used to which is holding things up).. Not your fault, or the controllers fault either but it's given me a headache, as some of the components needed for the controller are available in surface mount packaging only and are virtually impossible to do by hand.

Thats the bad news, the good news (or bad news depending how you see it) is I've actually got some more orders for the vnt controller too, so given that I need to make myself one as well, there's actually quite a lot of demand for these at the moment, so I am trying to get them out of my hair asap.

Do be assured though, your controller is in assembly. Because these are one off, bespoke electronic designs there is i'm afraid a bit of a delay between an 'order' and one being built.

I don't know how much you need the car on a daily basis, but if you wanted to drop it off up here like you do with matt for the controller fitting and initial tuning etc, might be able to sort something out.
Thanks for the heads up - yeah I know we got our wires crossed, so appreciate the attempt for a quick turn around.

How easy/bad will the car be to drive without the controller, and how would one set it up to do so?

I need to speak to Matt about when he leaves, what progress he has made and how to either pick the car up and bring it home, or head to you....

If it has not gone together yet, I may as well leave it with him for when he gets back, takes the time pressure off and we can get all the bits done in one go....

I'll ping you on FB when I know the plan.
Dieselpowered
AMW Motorsports
Old 29-09-15, 11:43 PM   #269
dakta

dakta is on a distinguished road
No stress, well I'll build the controller anyway, as I've some others to do - and then at least I won't be the hold up for once!

Boost control (actually, I hate calling it boost control, let's call it something more appropriate - engine airflow management - as it influences both exhaust and intake pressures) depends on the energy fed to the turbo which typically comes from exhaust flow and exhaust temperatures - with this in mind I like to do at least the base vnt controller tuning in tandem with the ecu tuning.

I can set you a pilot calibration out, but it almost certainly won't be optimal.

Charles will be using the software to program and adjust his own vnt controller, but we've already got him a fairly decent calibration to start with, so he's not starting from scratch and his fuel settings are unlikely to be tweaked at this stage.

Anyone is welcome to use the software and self-tune, and it is fairly straightforward but I do ask people try and have an understanding of the vnt control logic before jumping in to do it.

If you can drive it without the controller that'd be ideal, my 400 with the GT2256v was actually quite drivable, it drove better with no boost than a stock car with a boost leak! You lose a lot of torque, it's flat in that aspect but if you don't try and jump gaps I actually got away with driving mine about like that for a few days - back in the day!
dakta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-15, 11:34 AM   #270
p_b82
Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakta View Post
No stress, well I'll build the controller anyway, as I've some others to do - and then at least I won't be the hold up for once!

Boost control (actually, I hate calling it boost control, let's call it something more appropriate - engine airflow management - as it influences both exhaust and intake pressures) depends on the energy fed to the turbo which typically comes from exhaust flow and exhaust temperatures - with this in mind I like to do at least the base vnt controller tuning in tandem with the ecu tuning.

I can set you a pilot calibration out, but it almost certainly won't be optimal.

Charles will be using the software to program and adjust his own vnt controller, but we've already got him a fairly decent calibration to start with, so he's not starting from scratch and his fuel settings are unlikely to be tweaked at this stage.

Anyone is welcome to use the software and self-tune, and it is fairly straightforward but I do ask people try and have an understanding of the vnt control logic before jumping in to do it.

If you can drive it without the controller that'd be ideal, my 400 with the GT2256v was actually quite drivable, it drove better with no boost than a stock car with a boost leak! You lose a lot of torque, it's flat in that aspect but if you don't try and jump gaps I actually got away with driving mine about like that for a few days - back in the day!
Sounds good, I think what I'll do is thus:

Wait for Matt to let me know when the car is in a drivable state - I'll either send him the controller with your base map in place on it, and then arrange a time to head up to you so we can tweak it a bit based on the current injectors in there. (I'll probably take a day off work and stay some-where local overnight to give us some time to muck about with things)

then I aim to run it like that as a shakedown for a bit - just make sure everything has settled, no odd boost leaks in places or oil leaks etc and everything is how we expect.... EG no headlift & HGF

then plan another trip up to do the dyno session, with the other injectors I have.. part of me wants to optimise the SDI's and get it on the rollers and see what it does, but we know it is around 170-180bhp & 270lbsft, so short of having the pretty before and after curve I am not 100% sure it is worth it...

Maybe we do one before as the baseline, swap in the injectors do some basic running short smoke tests and then get it on after that... pending what option works out 'better' for the dyno operator of course!

but we can sort all of this out later on..... hopefully it all happens before I get my new car, as I think the Zs might sit on the drive a bit after that arrives lol
Dieselpowered
AMW Motorsports