theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > theMGZS.co.uk > General Discussion

Old 26-11-15, 09:19 PM   #1
talkingcars

talkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to behold
Car Tax when buying or selling.

With last years change in law that means that car tax is cancelled when you sell a car and the new owner has to buy new tax the government is making a lot of extra money as they will only deal in whole months - my daughter bought a S/H new beetle on Tuesday but has had to pay for 25 days tax from before when she bought the car, the people selling the car have lost 25 days. That is over £40 - on just one transaction!

With everything now computerised is there any reason why one can't either buy and sell part months or can the tax run from the day one buys the car?

I'm considering raising this with my MP and/or starting a .gov petition.
The Tories are far more open to this sort of thing, it was after I spoke to my MP that they rescinded on the vast hike in tax for early higher emission cars taxed under the new bandings.

Thoughts?
talkingcars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-15, 10:05 PM   #2
Supercharged_Z
KV6 Supercharged

Supercharged_Z is just really niceSupercharged_Z is just really niceSupercharged_Z is just really niceSupercharged_Z is just really niceSupercharged_Z is just really nice
YEP, it was well documented when it all changed, and is a bit of a joke obviously it can pay in your favor as such when buying a car at the beginning of the month, but also negative at the end.

not sure what they will be able to do mind
Supercharged_Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-15, 10:35 PM   #3
talkingcars

talkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to behold
As I see it there are 2 options.
1) you can pay from the date of purchase to beginning of the next month i.e. 25th to 30th and then monthly
or
2) rather than paying from the 1st of the month you pay from the 25th of month one to the 25th of month two and so on.
talkingcars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-15, 08:34 AM   #4
Alan.F

Alan.F is a jewel in the roughAlan.F is a jewel in the roughAlan.F is a jewel in the roughAlan.F is a jewel in the rough
when i bought my Lexus i payed for 12 Months tax up front but actually only got 11 months and 5 days, its a total con tbh

Alan.F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-15, 08:42 AM   #5
jaorton

jaorton is on a distinguished road
When cancelling tax, either by selling or SORNing you can get a refund back for any unused days.
This doesn't help buyers directly but if you are buying off someone midweek, ask if they can knock a few days worth of tax off the asking price.
jaorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-15, 08:52 AM   #6
fastmike

fastmike is on a distinguished road
I bought a car in the last week of one month and sold it 2 weeks later during the first week of the next month...........those 2 weeks of ownership cost me £75.34 in tax