Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > theMGZS.co.uk > General Discussion

Old 12-04-10, 02:03 PM   #11
Boot Hill Bandit
Coming back home!.......

Boot Hill Bandit is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay-ZS+ View Post
Is it not a case that you need to run the unleaded for so many minutes/miles from startup before you can make the switch?
It starts on unleaded and runs on it for first 500 yards apparently......almost just to get the engine fired up and some temperature in it.........then it switches to petrol.

That was the case 2 years ago...........maybe different now.........can't see the BTCC cars having two tanks to run on would imagine that is a thing of the past.

Trying to phone gas4cars now......it is the company Papa went to to get his ZS180 sorted.

Jim
Old 12-04-10, 02:06 PM   #12
Jay-ZS+
Site Supporter

Jay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boot Hill Bandit View Post
It starts on unleaded and runs on it for first 500 yards apparently......almost just to get the engine fired up and some temperature in it.........then it switches to petrol.

That was the case 2 years ago...........maybe different now.........can't see the BTCC cars having two tanks to run on would imagine that is a thing of the past.

Trying to phone gas4cars now......it is the company Papa went to to get his ZS180 sorted.

Jim
No but the BTCC cars have a pit crew to prep the engine its prob not the same system you get in road cars.

Seems well worth the expense if you do alot of mile to cover its cost. Wonder how long it will be before the govenment catch on and start taxing it at the rate of unleaded and diesel. Can Imagine it could rise in price quickly.

2012 BMW 320d Sport
Jay-ZS+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-10, 02:21 PM   #13
Boot Hill Bandit
Coming back home!.......

Quote:
No but the BTCC cars have a pit crew to prep the engine its prob not the same system you get in road cars.

Seems well worth the expense if you do alot of mile to cover its cost. Wonder how long it will be before the govenment catch on and start taxing it at the rate of unleaded and diesel. Can Imagine it could rise in price quickly.
I have just got off the phone to gas4cars (no I didn't break the phone ) system is £2000 all in........and it CAN be run as a MONO system i.e the only fuel.............just takes 5-10 mins to warm the car up to 35 degrees celcius before it can be driven hard. Failure to do so will ice up the carb (blimey haven't heard of that in ages.....all relative to karting!!! ) and the engine won't run properly.

Got to say.........I'm sold already. Awaiting an email...........and 10 days waiting list to book in...........guy has got a ZS180 in there being worked on today!!!! Very popular...........approx every 10 calls and 1 will be booked in.

The tank sits in the spare wheel well approx 56 litres.........and does not encroach on boot space at all.

I bet there are a few peeps reading this thinking it is a good idea too!!! Will be paying off my credit card ******* quick now so I can get this sorted...........jeeeeeezzzz Nikki is going to be happy at saving some money!

Just another note...........if you change cars frequently...........it is only £500 to take it off your old car and replace it onto your new purchase! That in my opinion is damn cheap too........not a lot of labour or parts costs!

Jim
Old 12-04-10, 02:24 PM   #14
Jay-ZS+
Site Supporter

Jay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of light
Nice assume with emissions reduced manis may not be an mot issue either

2012 BMW 320d Sport
Old 12-04-10, 02:29 PM   #15
Boot Hill Bandit
Coming back home!.......

Quote:
Nice assume with emissions reduced manis may not be an mot issue either
Well I have no pre cat or cat anyway............although I am after something to match up the Janspeed manis to the Piper system.

Would be good to go from a 2.25" pipe to the flexi and then step up to 2.50"........would blend in nicely then.

Jim
Old 12-04-10, 02:31 PM   #16
Jay-ZS+
Site Supporter

Did it pass an MOT with no precat or cat then??!

2012 BMW 320d Sport
Old 12-04-10, 02:38 PM   #17
StragglaSteve

StragglaSteve is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boot Hill Bandit View Post
it CAN be run as a MONO system i.e the only fuel.............The tank sits in the spare wheel well approx 56 litres.........and does not encroach on boot space at all.
if your using the gas as the only fuel and there is no need for petrol, how comes they dont use/replace the old fuel tank? would mean you can keep your spare wheel!

also did you shop arround? £2000 is the most expensive price i had seen when i did a quick google search!

Heres a few i found with listed prices (range from number of cylinders, all include vat)
Capitalautogas range from £1,291 to £1,879
Professautogas range from £950 to £1,400
Autogas Solutions range from £1,150 to £1,600

52 LeMans Green MG ZS 120+ Saloon
StragglaSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-10, 03:07 PM   #18
Boot Hill Bandit
Coming back home!.......

Quote:
Did it pass an MOT with no precat or cat then??!
No have to swap it out but I wouldn't be at all surprised if it did pass withut a cat.

Jim
Old 12-04-10, 03:18 PM   #19
Boot Hill Bandit
Coming back home!.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by StragglaSteve View Post
if your using the gas as the only fuel and there is no need for petrol, how comes they dont use/replace the old fuel tank? would mean you can keep your spare wheel!

also did you shop arround? £2000 is the most expensive price i had seen when i did a quick google search!

Heres a few i found with listed prices (range from number of cylinders, all include vat)
Capitalautogas range from £1,291 to £1,879
Professautogas range from £950 to £1,400
Autogas Solutions range from £1,150 to £1,600
He said he would be happy to make my system a mono one at no extra cost. He said my old tank could then be removed no problem. You can't use the original petrol tank as LPG is a compressed gas and I don't believe the std petrol tank would take the freezing cold fuel.

I don't think it is a good idea to have an LPG tank under the car......a few clatters over speed bumps and I would be ******** myself. Liquified Petrolium Gas is great but I wouldn't want to be standing anywhere near a tank that ruptured........it travels low down rather than rising. A few seconds of exposure would be enough to burn you badly like getting frostbite.

The difference is where the injectors are going to be installed........plus the quality of the parts. Papa did a 'cheaper' conversion and the system was *****. I am happy to pay more and expect absolute quality and refinement as if nothing had changed on my car. I would hate to spend £900 - £1300 and the injectors to give poor running due to a lazy sod installing it not removing the inlet manifold and doing it properly. Then having to go to a proper installer for them to rip it out and deem it '*****'.

Jim

Last edited by Boot Hill Bandit; 12-04-10 at 03:21 PM.
Boot Hill Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-10, 03:23 PM   #20
starfire039

starfire039 is on a distinguished road
I did 20,000 miles in my ZS, and I did a years worth of driving in it. Checked out the calculator, it would pay off in just over a year. I'll look into this when I finish uni!
  • Replace/fix rattly mirror
  • Mark 2 dashboard
  • Catch tank
  • New VIS motors
  • Fit bucket seats
  • Induction kit
  • New spark plugs + oil change
  • New exhaust
  • Decat
  • Fix drivers seat mounting hole
  • Reidy Remap

starfire039 is offline   Reply With Quote