theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > Technical Area > Build Projects

Old 29-06-13, 10:17 AM   #31
stamford
Site Owner

stamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud of
The guys at MTEC have checked the pad boxes in the warehouse and the Mintex pads do not include shims, so need to source some, rears definitely, fronts not been stripped yet but might as well.
Old 29-06-13, 10:32 AM   #32
Craig-ZS180

Craig-ZS180 is a jewel in the roughCraig-ZS180 is a jewel in the roughCraig-ZS180 is a jewel in the roughCraig-ZS180 is a jewel in the rough
That's strange that they don't come with them, from when we've dealt with them at work they usually come with a rubber backing shim (anti squeal backing) that is actually stuck onto the back of the pad.
I know the ebc's do and I really cannot fault them on my car, on track or road have always been brilliant with no fade and work really well even from stone cold.
I honestly thought that Mintex came with them too as most suppliers do now when of a good brand.
Old 29-06-13, 11:00 AM   #33
POMPSKI

POMPSKI is a jewel in the roughPOMPSKI is a jewel in the roughPOMPSKI is a jewel in the rough
Neither my front nor rear mintex had shims when I changed them last year. I re-used the originals.
POMPSKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-13, 11:02 AM   #34
ZS
IT Administrator

ZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxtherotti View Post
Only issues im aware of is the pads sticking in the calipers but not a issue if properly refurbed
unless im missing something??

Rob
Issues I had were lower ball joint rubbing on the disks under hard cornering, even with the shims behind the discs and that wasn't lowered... Had pads sticking, but a refurb fixed that... Any more spacers and you need longer studs in the hubs and then your front wheels have a wider track than your rear wheels... (I really needed longer studs TBH)

Those are just the issues I had... there are loads more documented elsewhere...

I love it when people call me at 3 AM. "Hey, you asleep?" "No, I'm skydiving."

http://www.bexairbrushing.co.uk
ZS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-13, 12:55 PM   #35
maxtherotti

maxtherotti will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZS View Post
Issues I had were lower ball joint rubbing on the disks under hard cornering, even with the shims behind the discs and that wasn't lowered... Had pads sticking, but a refurb fixed that... Any more spacers and you need longer studs in the hubs and then your front wheels have a wider track than your rear wheels... (I really needed longer studs TBH)

Those are just the issues I had... there are loads more documented elsewhere...
I shant bother then
just get some drilled and grooved discs when there shot then

Rob
Old 29-06-13, 02:06 PM   #36
talkingcars

talkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to behold
I wouldn't get drilled discs on a road car, they tend to crack more easily due to heat/cool cycles.

Although I like the apperance and braking of groved discs they are a tad noisy compared to smooth.
Old 29-06-13, 02:39 PM   #37
ZS
IT Administrator

ZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of light
Apparently a lot of drilled discs are just std discs drilled and then put on the market, which means they are not treated in the correct way and have a lot less stress than standard and crack\fail a lot more than they should...

So if you do go with drilled and grooved discs then I would look for known brands and avoid the cheap options.

I love it when people call me at 3 AM. "Hey, you asleep?" "No, I'm skydiving."

http://www.bexairbrushing.co.uk
ZS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-13, 10:17 AM   #38
stamford
Site Owner

stamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud of
In between other jobs I managed to do Sunday:

Stripped both rear coilovers, had to use alot of heat on the platform collars as both were seized solid. This took some time to shift, managed to reset them 20mm higher. Hopefully be able to tweak the height once on the car but can't be that far off from where it needs to be, roughly 40mm drop max. I think these will be replaced at some point for some new ones.

Got back under the car to tackle the LCAs, started on the nearside arm, got all the bolts out and got to the inner one, same as the offside, this seemed to be going well, the breaker bar started to make some difference then 'snap'! So I will either attempt to drill through but a cutting disc looks favourite here as the arm will not be re-used. Same needs to be done on the offside one as the bolt head has rounded off and this was using a 6-side impact socket!

Tyres, brake set, hoses should be here Weds/Thurs. So will require getting the tyres fitted at some point. I'll be needing an arch roller to fettle the fit as well. Anyone have one to hire?
Old 01-07-13, 10:23 AM   #39
peterzs
promoted bloke!

peterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to behold
Smile

Moving onwards and upwards, bit hot Sunday, specially using heat.

Dont over do it, little and often I'm told.
Old 02-07-13, 09:49 AM   #40
stamford
Site Owner

Been informed my tyres arrived this morning. Looking forward to getting these fitted and seeing what the score is on clearance!