theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > Technical Area > Build Projects

Old 19-02-14, 06:17 PM   #111
talkingcars

talkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to behold
Not sure but I've done something wrong wiring the relays.
Old 19-02-14, 06:25 PM   #112
petet16
Technical Expert R.I.P.

petet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to behold
Did you splice into the hrw feed to operate the relays ?.

R.I.P. Peter David Scott 18.07.59 to 21.11.16
Will be missed by us all but we will always remember you.

petet16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-14, 08:08 PM   #113
talkingcars

talkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to behold
Yeah, the blue/yellow in the white plug under the external fusebox.
Old 19-02-14, 08:33 PM   #114
petet16
Technical Expert R.I.P.

petet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to behold
Strange if you've you've got a drain to earth from there, are your relays still operating for the front screen.

The Blue and Yellow is ignition controlled, so it shouldn't be live with the ignition off, and the front screen is on a timed cycle like the hrw.

Just a random thought, you're not using latching relays ?.

Last edited by petet16; 19-02-14 at 08:49 PM.
Old 19-02-14, 09:55 PM   #115
talkingcars

Quote:
Originally Posted by petet16 View Post
Strange if you've you've got a drain to earth from there, are your relays still operating for the front screen.

The Blue and Yellow is ignition controlled, so it shouldn't be live with the ignition off, and the front screen is on a timed cycle like the hrw.

Just a random thought, you're not using latching relays ?.

That's not latching is it.
Old 19-02-14, 10:27 PM   #116
petet16
Technical Expert R.I.P.

It doesn't look like it, to be sure it would need 12v and an earth applied to terminal 85 & 86, if it clicks when you apply power, and then clicks again when you remove power it's a normal relay, if it doesn't click when you remove power then it's a latching relay.

Old 19-02-14, 10:36 PM   #117
petet16
Technical Expert R.I.P.

The coil symbol between 85 & 86 is for a normal relay, so non latching.

Old 02-03-14, 11:28 AM   #118
talkingcars

85 - connected to blue/yellow - 12v when engine running and HRW is on, 0v at other times.
86 - connected to earth - 12v when engine running and HRW is on, 0v at other times.
87 - connected to constant live - 12v at all times.
30 - connected to front screen - 12v when relay on, 0v when relay off.

That all makes sense - what doesn't is no resistance between the switched live 85 and earth regardless of it being connected to the relay or not.

How can it cause battery drain when plugged to the relay?
Old 02-03-14, 01:07 PM   #119
petet16
Technical Expert R.I.P.

That's very odd, the readings for the relays are fine, I can't really see how it can be draining the battery.

I would have said that the heated screen draining the battery was a Red Herring, but for the fact that it doesn't do it when the feed for the relays are disconnected.

Where have you taken the 12v feed for terminal 87 from.

Old 02-03-14, 03:04 PM   #120
talkingcars

Quote:
Originally Posted by petet16 View Post
Where have you taken the 12v feed for terminal 87 from.
The same terminal in the engine bay fusebox as you did.