theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > theMGZS.co.uk > General Discussion

Old 16-03-12, 03:24 PM   #1
KirkJames

KirkJames will become famous soon enough
Need some help!!

Right. For a while now, I have been saying I must get a 'new' lead and spade connector for the starter motor. Well, went out last night and........nothing. That's ok I thought, I will crimp the spade and have a play about, which I have done before........Nothing!!
So used the missus' car last night and today I was going to top up my gearbox oil. So I tried it again and all I got was a very rapid ticking and a smell of eggs (I have a decat). I did a search on here and read it could be battery related. So got the missus' car and jump started it. Hey presto, life at last.
Let it run for a while to charge up, turned it off and tried to restart........................... Nothing!!!

Now does this sound like my battery is completely knackered or starter motor related. I wouldn't of thought it was an earth point as it started when jumped.
The lights and everything still work and all the normal dash lights come on and the fuel pump starts up etc.

Can anyone enlighten me? If I do need another battery which ones can I get (ZS 180), I wanted to pick one up from a scrappy as cash is very tight till the end of the month when I will be able to get a new one.

Thanks all,

Kirk.
KirkJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-12, 03:31 PM   #2
Captain Peanut

Captain Peanut is a jewel in the roughCaptain Peanut is a jewel in the roughCaptain Peanut is a jewel in the rough
Had very similar with mine, lots of ticking but no life without a jump start. Turned out that the battery was fecked, despite the AA giving it a clean bill of health.

I got a new one for £40 from a local motor factors, might be worth a look around before heading to the scrappies so you've at least got a warranty.
Old 16-03-12, 03:55 PM   #3
KirkJames

Got a price for 59 from motor factors with 3 year warranty. Really wanted one from a scrappy only until i get paid at the end of the month. What battery does it need to be i.e. enough cranking power.
Old 16-03-12, 06:24 PM   #4
talkingcars

talkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to behold
You can get an Exide for £52.50 if you use the discount code.

They quote "Capacity 680 cca" when I ask for a battery for my car.

However I'd check the earht first, just connect a jump lead between the battery and the earthpoint on your gearbox and see what it does.
Old 16-03-12, 06:29 PM   #5
James Raby

James Raby will become famous soon enough
Kirk, did you notice any difference with the de-cat?
also did you install the MIL light kit?

The earthing wire from battery to slam panel is horrendous, I must get another and do mine as I don't like the look of it
James Raby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-12, 06:42 PM   #6
Fred68

Fred68 has a spectacular aura aboutFred68 has a spectacular aura about
When you jump started it did you connect the negative jump lead to the battery or the engine block/body ? If the battery to body lead is goosed that could be the problem. If the starter is clicking it's telling you there is'nt enough current to run the starter
Fred68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-12, 08:45 PM   #7
KirkJames

Quote:
Originally Posted by talkingcars View Post
You can get an Exide for £52.50 if you use the discount code.

They quote "Capacity 680 cca" when I ask for a battery for my car.

However I'd check the earht first, just connect a jump lead between the battery and the earthpoint on your gearbox and see what it does.
Thanks, which discount code and with which company bud?

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Raby View Post
Kirk, did you notice any difference with the de-cat?
also did you install the MIL light kit?

The earthing wire from battery to slam panel is horrendous, I must get another and do mine as I don't like the look of it
Didn't notice hardly any difference, but I have the standard air box set up, and standard exhaust from the cat back. I will notice more of a difference with these done. Haven't got the MIL it on yet, just I keep clearing the code with my code reader. It does sound nicer tho James.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred68 View Post
When you jump started it did you connect the negative jump lead to the battery or the engine block/body ? If the battery to body lead is goosed that could be the problem. If the starter is clicking it's telling you there is'nt enough current to run the starter
All the leads checked out ok, so connected jump leads to Neg and pos terminals. Think its new battery time.

Last edited by KirkJames; 17-03-12 at 09:31 AM.
Old 16-03-12, 09:01 PM   #8
talkingcars

talkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to behold
http://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=20262
Old 17-03-12, 09:33 AM   #9
KirkJames

Thanks for the info.
Little update on the situ. Jumped car this morning, drove to work with no issues. Brought my multimeter with me. The drive to work is 28 mile so enough to recharge the battery. Tested the battery an hour after getting to work and it's reading around 13 with the ignition off, and 14 when running. This is normal isn't it? If so, why did it go dead in the first place? Did I test it too soon after the journey or should I test again later to see if it is holding that charge.
Old 17-03-12, 10:11 AM   #10
talkingcars

I'd test it again later, it should be almost exactly the same.