Old 17-03-12, 10:30 AM   #1
KirkJames

KirkJames will become famous soon enough
Ok will do cheers bud!
KirkJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-12, 01:34 PM   #2
petet16
Technical Expert R.I.P.

petet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to behold
As said elsewhere, also try the voltage with some load applied, headlights, blower motor.

The static voltage and charging voltage look fine to me.

If the problem occurs again it will be worth checking the battery voltage just to see if it has discharged, or if the problem lies elsewhere, you can use your jump leads to temporarily provide an alternative earth for the engine, and battery.

R.I.P. Peter David Scott 18.07.59 to 21.11.16
Will be missed by us all but we will always remember you.

petet16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-12, 01:47 PM   #3
KirkJames

Quote:
Originally Posted by talkingcars View Post
You can get an Exide for £52.50 if you use the discount code.

They quote "Capacity 680 cca" when I ask for a battery for my car.

However I'd check the earht first, just connect a jump lead between the battery and the earthpoint on your gearbox and see what it does.
Where's the earth point on the gearbox. Can't I just connect the jump lead from the neg terminal to the earth point on the slam panel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by petet16 View Post
As said elsewhere, also try the voltage with some load applied, headlights, blower motor.

The static voltage and charging voltage look fine to me.

If the problem occurs again it will be worth checking the battery voltage just to see if it has discharged, or if the problem lies elsewhere, you can use your jump leads to temporarily provide an alternative earth for the engine, and battery.
I will give that a try Pete, checked it again an hour ago and the figures are 12.9 (ish) and 14.3 (ish) with the car running. looks like it's holding the charge. I am a little worried as to what else could of caused this as the earth point from battery to slam panel looks good to me. Unless there's another earth I can't see. There is no earth coming off the starter motor, well that I can see anyway.
Any ideas??
I did move the charcoal filter when looking at the access I would need to do gearbox oil. Don't know if that would affect anything?

Last edited by KirkJames; 17-03-12 at 01:49 PM.
Old 17-03-12, 07:09 PM   #4
talkingcars

talkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to behold
If you just connect between the slam panel and the battery you are not avoiding the possible poor connection between the gearbox and the slam panel!
Old 18-03-12, 08:21 AM   #5
KirkJames

Well it does all appear ok. Started this morning absolutely fine and battery still reading as it should. So Talkingcars where on the gearbox is the earth point. Sorry for denseness, but I have no idea having never seen it before.
Old 18-03-12, 08:39 AM   #6
DaMoZ-MG

DaMoZ-MG is on a distinguished road
even though the battery voltage is readin ok i would get the battery checked by a battery tester as the tester will test the state of the cells.the modern alternators wont recharge a flat bettery only top up the voltage. even if the connections on earths look good the internal part of the cable my be damaged/broken.
DaMoZ-MG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-12, 09:48 AM   #7
KirkJames

ok bud thanks, I will look into it.
Old 18-03-12, 10:06 AM   #8
peterzs
promoted bloke!

peterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to behold
Could also be improving because of the warmer weather, if the car lives outdoors, the cold makes it a lot harder for the battery to spin over.

As said the battery check will show the condition of the battery, they whack a great big discharge across it and see how it reacts.
peterzs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-12, 10:38 AM   #9
tb steve

tb steve has a spectacular aura abouttb steve has a spectacular aura about
i charged a battery up the other month to 100% but still would not start the car i thought it holds the voltage but just not enough amps ????
tb steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-12, 11:39 AM   #10
KirkJames

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterzs View Post
Could also be improving because of the warmer weather, if the car lives outdoors, the cold makes it a lot harder for the battery to spin over.

As said the battery check will show the condition of the battery, they whack a great big discharge across it and see how it reacts.
Where can i get that done, and how much would it cost?