AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > theMGZS.co.uk > General Discussion

Old 22-04-08, 09:15 AM   #1
midcuk

midcuk is on a distinguished road
exhaust / induction again sorry but its relevant

right im ordering a new exhaust induction kit in the next week
do i go for the tried and tested xpower duplex and itg recommended route and spend a fortune or do i go another route

my other choices are blueflame or powerflow for the exhaust and not sure about the filter

i like the idea of the itg because people state it makes a difference from right low down the rev range where as others you only feel the benefit higher up (and i keep revs low most of the time as im a slow driver) so the itg would be beneficial where as it costs a fortune compared to others
dont want to do a diy inner wing because im a tool and would screw it up so would prefer off the shelf so to speak, been looking at bmc, viper kn filters all a lot cheaper than itg also powertec filters get a good review have any of you got one (they are cheap as well on potn)
basically want low down useable torque and the itg seems to supply this but at a price

recommendations please ?

ps im going to put it on finance so a small difference in price isnt going to be that much of a factor rather have the most suitable.

chris
midcuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-08, 10:37 AM   #2
Boot Hill Bandit
Coming back home!.......

Boot Hill Bandit is on a distinguished road
I have a Piper exhaust on my ZS............check out the gallery for pics.

What are you after dude?? Are you after out and out performance or sounds/looks??

If you are after performance I would go with the XPower system with the inwardly rolled tailpipe.......if you are after looks you cannot beat the Janspeed Duplex System..........sound wise........my Piper makes as much noise as any other system.......including some peoples cars who have no cat on.

Induction............well it's your choice........generally they all give similar performance but varying prices.........if you want a quiet system go with an ITG or BMC.........other than that it is the open cone route.

Judging by what I have learnt.........if you end up going the whole hog like I am doing..........and you want to do trackdays.........if you have Janspeed manis fitted, a decat, Piper cat back system and an open cone induction system there is a good chance you will be hovering on or above a lot of the circuits 100db limit......

Lots to think about.........tell us a little more about what you want from the car/set ups and we can advise

Jim
Old 22-04-08, 10:47 AM   #3
midcuk

thanks for the comprehensive reply jim , and its a bit of everything i want really (im greedy) really looks/sound/performance want a generally good all rounder if you know what i mean.
not out for excessive speed or sound just the best one if you know what i mean
Old 22-04-08, 10:59 AM   #4
Boot Hill Bandit
Coming back home!.......

Well thats my Piper with the outwardly rolled exhaust......apparently according to some forum members on here..........you can hear The Red Devil coming before you see her

It seems to be true........by the time I turn up to most peoples houses who know me........I don't have to get up off my fat arse to knock on the door........they already heard me turn up and are waiting

Thats with Janspeed exhaust manifolds and Piper cat back system. I have yet to install the decat pipe and induction system so it will be very loud I assume once that is done.

If you are near to me (Rainham, Kent) then you are more than welcome to come around and have a listen to her at idle then a few drive bys somewhere as well as getting in and we can go along a motorway see what you think of cabin noise.......bearing in mind my ZS180 is an early mk1 so it actually does have sound deadening in it unlike the later cars which have loads missing.......

I strongly suggest you meet up with a forum member and have a listen to their set ups........and if you ask nicely they may take you out for a listen up and down the rev ranges at various speeds including Mach3

Jim
Old 22-04-08, 12:08 PM   #5
stamford
Site Owner

stamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud of
Will you fitting any of this yourself or getting someone to do it for you? This may have a bearing on what you go for. If going for a duplex system then remember you will need a nearside heatshield and big balls to cut the other aperture!

Induction will also require some fettling to fit properly, even the ITG kit needs patience if leaving the bumper on. A BMC CDA installation will vary on fitting if using the OE TB hose or going samco style route and pipes etc.

Horses for courses....................as Jim has said, where are you based? and then see who is local to help you decide etc.
Old 22-04-08, 12:36 PM   #6
midcuk

based in newcastle mate and not sure probably myself but ideally get a pro to do it if i can find one, most places round here wont fit if they dont sell it.

hence why i want a full kit if im doing it myself , less messing around.

if i dont get the itg i can get a set of tyres as well so hence my confusion
Old 22-04-08, 12:49 PM   #7
Boot Hill Bandit
Coming back home!.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by midcuk View Post
based in newcastle mate and not sure probably myself but ideally get a pro to do it if i can find one, most places round here wont fit if they dont sell it.

hence why i want a full kit if im doing it myself , less messing around.

if i dont get the itg i can get a set of tyres as well so hence my confusion
Newcastle eh!! Hmmm..........if you work for DFDS seaways any chance of a free one way ticket back to Norway?? I promise I won't come back

You have many options.........EMS Ltd on here in the site traders section may be of help to source you a complete exhaust system ready to fit but it will be the XPower/Janspeed ones and not Piper I'd imagine.

If you was near me........I'd help you I honestly would.

Jim
Old 22-04-08, 01:14 PM   #8
midcuk

cheers jim your thoughts appreciated

and unfortunatley i dont
Old 22-04-08, 01:25 PM   #9
Boot Hill Bandit
Coming back home!.......

no worries......

shame that..........you lot would never see me again I guarantee it.......

Jim
Old 22-04-08, 04:27 PM   #10
Dave ZS-X

Dave ZS-X is on a distinguished road
if your only doing cat back exhaust then it doesnt matter which system you go for as none give any measurable gain on their own ,you need de cat /sport cat and or manifolds to release any power .

Dave
Dave ZS-X is offline   Reply With Quote