theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > theMGZS.co.uk > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 19-09-11, 04:23 PM   #31
Mr ZS180

Mr ZS180 is on a distinguished road
Just wanna start this post by saying that my zs is easily the best car i have owned and im not slating it in any way. Just being realistic.

In a straight line a 180 has little chance against any wrx if the driver has any degree of competence. Most wrxs left the factory with at least 260bhp and despite transmission losses this translates into straight line speed very well. Cornering is another matter though. On a track the impreza suffers massively from 4wheel understeer where the zs has massive grip levels so on a short track like brands indy the zs would **** over a wrx. On tracks with long straights, maybe like bedford, the wrx has an advantage.

One major difference between the 2 cars is the way the engine delivers the power. The 180 v6 is very rarely off the power band which is why i love it so much. Wrx engine suffer from the inevitable boost lag, although no that much, and their gearing can be awkward depending on the ratio from the factory. With the zs you know you get something special, without having to worry about these things.

On another note, my mate went to santa pod this weekend in a near standard wrx sti with 294bhp and ran a 12.9 quarter.

Last edited by Mr ZS180; 19-09-11 at 04:42 PM.
Old 19-09-11, 04:39 PM   #32
Dan1971
Site Ambassador

Dan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud of
I've had a read back through this thread, and I can't see anyone having a go at our cars.

All there has been has been an opinion from some of us, that although we believe our cars are great - there are actually faster ones out there - that's all.

On a simple - have a look at the figures discussion - there are a lot of cars out there which will be faster in a straight line. Everyone knows that our cars handle very well, but we are a sensible bunch and some perspective needs to be taken as we are not a bunch or spotty teenagers who believe that our saxos do 150mph just because we've got an induction kit on them !

The way I see it - it's like this.

The ZS is a quality lightweight boxer - in that it's cheap as chips putting out 180ish bhp with great handling. Up against similar weighted boxers - for that read similarly priced so called sports cars - and it'll wee all over them as pound for pound it simply cannot be beaten.

Stick it in against a heavyweight boxer or an expensive car with with 300+bhp - the ZS may still be more nimble and agile - but it just ain't got enough to deliver the knockout, and will get done.

And ... that's an opinion that I have got - and can give, whether you like it or not - anywhere on this or any other forum by the way.

But - Daytona - I'm glad that you had a good safe blast around and surprised the driver of another very fast car.
Old 19-09-11, 04:40 PM   #33
Bobdope2002
Senior Pant Sniffer

Bobdope2002 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave MGT View Post
Bit of a stupid comment!
Im stating real life situations and exsperiences. Well, call it what you want.

Just to say a 250bhp scooby wouldnt leave a zs180 for dust in a straight line. Trans loss on the scooby is about 70-80bhp.
But as said....the driver does come into it to a certain exstent.
A mate I work with has a scooby with that power and my 180 is definetly quicker, no question. He keeps asking to swap cars! He thought it was turboed untill last week......I did laugh!

Im not slating scoobys. They are great cars!....but I think people need to give the ZS a bit more credit. Sad to say that on a ZS forum!

Anyway, this is my last post here because like Ross, Im getting fed up of all the negative digs.

Im not slating the 180 in the slightest i know how good a car they are but against a sooped up subaru........no chance

Edit: Thanks for the neg rep who ever placed it theyre ive acheived my task of a red box

Last edited by Bobdope2002; 19-09-11 at 04:50 PM.
Old 19-09-11, 04:47 PM   #34
Ritchy
technically an expertish

Ritchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to all
Couldnt have put it better myself dan,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan1971 View Post
I've had a read back through this thread, and I can't see anyone having a go at our cars.

All there has been has been an opinion from some of us, that although we believe our cars are great - there are actually faster ones out there - that's all.

On a simple - have a look at the figures discussion - there are a lot of cars out there which will be faster in a straight line. Everyone knows that our cars handle very well, but we are a sensible bunch and some perspective needs to be taken as we are not a bunch or spotty teenagers who believe that our saxos do 150mph just because we've got an induction kit on them !

The ZS is a quality lightweight boxer - in that it's cheap as chips putting out 180ish bhp with great handling. Up against similar weighted boxers - for that read similarly priced so called sports cars - and it'll wee all over them as pound for pound it simply cannot be beaten.

Stick it in against a heavyweight boxer or an expensive car with with 300+bhp - the ZS may still be more nimble and agile - but it just ain't got enough to deliver the knockout, and will get done.

And ... that's an opinion that I have got - and can give, whether you like it or not - anywhere on this or any other forum by the way.

But - Daytona - I'm glad that you had a good safe blast around and surprised the driver of another very fast car.
Old 19-09-11, 04:52 PM   #35
Bobdope2002
Senior Pant Sniffer

Bobdope2002 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan1971 View Post

Spot on although i get neg repped for saying the same thing in my own special way

Ahh well
Old 19-09-11, 06:25 PM   #36
rakester

rakester is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevG View Post
If it was a UK spec Scoob, then the 180 will pi$$ all over it, but if it is an import then either the driver just cannot get the car going or the scoob is knackered.
It really wouldn't, owned both and a UK scooby is still in the better car in almost every way. Sorry not trying to troll but I'm a real MG enthusiast and I don't feel it's bias although I've got another scooby at the moment.
Old 19-09-11, 07:38 PM   #37
Magic

Magic is on a distinguished road
Ex Scooby WRX owner here

After owning a 2002 WRX with 280 bhp for 4 years and now owning a ZS 120, I can honestly say that the ZS has surprised me in regards to handling. MGR did a great job of the suspension (if a little too hard on certain roads), the WRX is a little softer and slightly more forgiving I think and not at all track orientated, whereas the MG seems it to me, (but the classic Imprezas are more raw and lighter than the "newage" versions)

Most Impreza owners dont know how to drive them properly, so at the end of the day its down to the driver and track, but the Impreza could be a bit bulky against the ZS on some tracks.

Even though ive never driven a 180 but have driven a few other V6's, im sorry to say with equally capable drivers in the 180 and Impreza, the Impreza would win in cornering, acceleration from standstill and corner entry and exit speeds, putting the 2 head to head isnt really an equal "battle" (Touge mode on).

The ZS is a cheap and very cheerful car and im happy ive got one, even though I do miss the Scooby.

P.S. Dont race on the road, thats what tracks are for!
Old 19-09-11, 08:04 PM   #38
grimmy
its ginger its phenomenal

grimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud of
Closing the thread as it is going nowhere.

Last edited by grimmy; 19-09-11 at 08:27 PM.
Closed Thread