theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > theMGZS.co.uk > General Discussion

Old 02-08-07, 10:20 PM   #21
shroonie29

shroonie29 is on a distinguished road
Nice balanced view mate.I could of got a scoob when buyin the ZS but opted for the ZS cause it made me feel better some how.Never been a follower of car fashion so to speak.I made the correct choice for me

Shroon

"In the MG ZS, the relationship between car and driver borders on the intimate"
"The surprise is that the MG ZS feels right straight away and stays accurate and poised"
shroonie29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-07, 10:45 PM   #22
garythesnail

garythesnail is on a distinguished road
Me too. I like the 'underdog'. I can put up with the leg-pulling. I've had various Leyland / Rovers over the past sixteen years and knocked up about a third of a million miles in them. Here's the good bit - we've never been left stranded, they've always got us there unless some dumbass (that would be me) didn't stop for fuel when he should have or a VW Golf took a liking to the front end.

If I'm honest, my inner twelve year old really liked the 'gills' and 'ironing board' spoiler of the MKII ZS180. I was considering a Civic Type R, Leon Cupra, ST220, Golf GTi and after some test driving, picked the one that was most fun to drive. I knew then it would also be the fastest depreciating, but hey, WTF, we're only here once - don't listen to the head all the time. By the time I'm done with it, any car would be worth ****** all. Twice round the clock tends to have that effect on most cars.
garythesnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-07, 07:29 PM   #23
MGPhoenix

MGPhoenix is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by stamford View Post
As they always say, 'you pay your money-you takes your choice'...........

There are better cars out there, it comes down to personal choice and if we need to be part of that 'it crowd'. I agree, the Subaru is a great package, but not for me, I prefer the 'underdog' as it were. I have never been one to have a car because it is the one to be 'scene' in! The 180 fits me just fine, always liked them and I don't really care what others think, pound for pound I doubt if you can get a better car for the money.
Well said. That's exactly how I feel. I'm well aware my car isn't perfect but I love it all the same and I'm extremely passionate about MG itself.
MGPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-07, 07:31 PM   #24
MGPhoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by shroonie29 View Post
Nice balanced view mate.I could of got a scoob when buyin the ZS but opted for the ZS cause it made me feel better some how.Never been a follower of car fashion so to speak.I made the correct choice for me

Shroon
And again ditto! It really is good to know I'm not the only one who feels like this cos it sure feels like it sometimes! I too always go for the so called "underdog" in nearly all aspects of my life.

Last edited by MGPhoenix; 03-08-07 at 07:33 PM.
Old 03-08-07, 08:18 PM   #25
stamford
Site Owner

stamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud of
You know what? I don't even care what they call it now................the lads at work say 'Rover' and I say yea!

If I suffered small **** syndrome, I'd have bought a Bavarian Motor Works............
Old 03-08-07, 08:24 PM   #26
shroonie29

shroonie29 is on a distinguished road
You do get to the point when ppl say"Is that your Yellow(insert colour here)Rover?It's really nice"
when pointing out it's an MG isn't worth the time or effort on the poorly educated.
Nowt wrong with Rovers' may I add.

Shroon

"In the MG ZS, the relationship between car and driver borders on the intimate"
"The surprise is that the MG ZS feels right straight away and stays accurate and poised"
shroonie29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-07, 08:48 PM   #27
stamford
Site Owner

stamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud of
No, nothing wrong with a Rover.................used to have a 216 Vitesse, lovely car, just rotted away!

I'm also looking at buying a Rover as my second car for work, got my eye on a nice 216GTi, lady owned for 11 years, immaculate condition and totally original. Even contemplating an MG Maestro if I can find one near home, those I have seen are +150 miles away!
Old 03-08-07, 09:59 PM   #28
MGPhoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by stamford View Post
You know what? I don't even care what they call it now................the lads at work say 'Rover' and I say yea!

If I suffered small **** syndrome, I'd have bought a Bavarian Motor Works............
Sorry to say I'm not that forgiving as it's one of my pet hates! It's got to the point where I want to keep my registration document with me to say: "Right then you morons, what does it say under make? Can't you spell cos the last time I looked at the Oxford English Dictionary the letters MG do not spell Rover!"
Old 04-08-07, 01:25 PM   #29
garythesnail

garythesnail is on a distinguished road
I really don't mind it being called a Rover (in the same way I didn't mind my 99 rover 400 being called a Leyland). I do see my ZS as a warmed up Rover because that's pretty much what it is. I'm not dragging the ZS 'down', far from it, I really do think that the 95 on Rover 400 saloon is bloody good car and for MGR to take the same basic suspension geometry to end up with the ride and handling of the ZS is no surprise. My 400 rolled like a boat, but clung on around the corners - did 120k + miles with no disasters. Best car I've had. So far, the ZS is with it, but w've got another 60k miles catching up to do. I do get where I'mgoing a bit quicker inthe ZS though.

I know. Others don't. I'm happy.
garythesnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-07, 06:25 PM   #30
stamford
Site Owner

Am I right in thinking that the VW Golf with the 'i' in red is the turbo version? If so one tried to whip my ass on the M3 on Sunday, he was on his own, I was three up and I overtook to pass some slower cars. Next thing I know is this black GTi up my behind, so I moved away from him and pulled in, needless to say he could not catch me. My wife did not even realise the speed I was doing as it was so smooth! I am not proud of what I did and will not brag about the numbers involved, let's just say I did not do it for too long before cruising back to normal motorway speeds and then a rest stop for the wife to powder her nose! Good old 180! (and some!)