theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > theMGZS.co.uk > General Discussion

Old 14-12-09, 08:30 PM   #21
talkingcars

talkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblueads View Post
The coupe is the Tomcat mate, same thing............
Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think the car was actually every officially called "the Tomcat".
Old 14-12-09, 10:20 PM   #22
Craig
Back Again!

Craig is on a distinguished road
Superb! I fooking love them.

Craig Darroch

Create your badge
Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-09, 07:34 AM   #23
stamford
Site Owner

stamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud of
Nice car Jake, love em! Tomcat was the project name and kinda stuck as they also used that name for the one make race series when launched, mostly aimed at the turbo version. I'd suggest you hide your keys this time
Old 15-12-09, 07:44 AM   #24
vinny1979

vinny1979 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by talkingcars View Post
It is the model commonly known as the tomcat.
its common name was the tomcat. And people get confused about the trga roof, they all had it

phate has it got the glass panel bag in the boot? good if it has.

A filter next to the battery is a good mod, then de cat it brings the power along nicely.
93 Rover 220 GSi Turbo, 99 Golf GTi turbo Former owner of mk2 180 bx54 kgp - Ignition blue
vinny1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-09, 01:10 PM   #25
Maxfly
Site Ambassador

Maxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to all
lovely motor, want to get one of them myself at some point
Old 15-12-09, 01:38 PM   #26
will-w

will-w is on a distinguished road
Certainly looks tidy! Am quite envious, I looked at a couple before I got the ZS but they were all dogs

Isn't that powered by the 108bhp SOHC D16? (Think they had a slightly different map on them than the ones put into Honda's - Should look something like this)

If so, the general consensus is that a 'performance' panel filter in the standard airbox is the best way forward (with a cold air feed to the box), as the small non-vtec engines hate heat soak and really don't need a huge cone

Decat is certainly an option, but won't get you much in the way of power.. Just a bit more noise and that beautiful decat smell!

I had the Z9 in one of my CRX's, they're great little engines and are surprisingly nippy!

I doubt you'll want to keep it stock for long, and the only quick ways of getting lots of power is to turbo, or swap something B18+ into it

Derv power baby!

will-w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-09, 06:06 PM   #27
Phate

Phate is an unknown quantity at this point
hehe thanks guys

Interesting stuff Will...I want to keep it stock for reliability reasons but at the same time I do have a modding bug

It's got the standard filter on it, when Andy bought it it had a cone, put the standard on it and found it to be quicker and sound nicer...makes sense due to the heat soak.
Old 15-12-09, 07:15 PM   #28
p_b82
Site Supporter

p_b82 is a jewel in the roughp_b82 is a jewel in the roughp_b82 is a jewel in the rough
i have always had soft spot for the tomcats, always have a nose around them if i spot any while on foot.

if it weren't for the fact that i wanted diesel nearly 5 years ago now i would prob have got one!
Dieselpowered
Fitting Custom Hybrid Turbo (1856GTBv) & controller; Remap, swirlpot, lift pump
AMW Motorsports
Custom exhaust manifold & downpipe
p_b82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-09, 07:57 PM   #29
Dan1971
Site Ambassador

Dan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud of
Nice ... Always liked them.
Dan1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-09, 08:43 PM   #30
will-w

will-w is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phate View Post
hehe thanks guys

Interesting stuff Will...I want to keep it stock for reliability reasons but at the same time I do have a modding bug

It's got the standard filter on it, when Andy bought it it had a cone, put the standard on it and found it to be quicker and sound nicer...makes sense due to the heat soak.
My first CRX (had a DOHC D16) had a crappy cone on it when I got it, first thing I did was to put the original airbox on with a K&N panel filter.. The sound and pickup change was really quite shocking!

With your exhaust, and a couple of other tweaks you should easily get it to 120bhp.. Which considering it's a SOHC 1.6 is actually quite good

I'm not too clued up on the Z2, but I think you can swap the head/ecu from the Z9 onto it and get eco-vtec? The D16Z9 had 130bhp out of the box..

Derv power baby!

will-w is offline   Reply With Quote