theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > theMGZS.co.uk > General Discussion

Old 21-12-09, 11:13 AM   #21
p_b82
Site Supporter

p_b82 is a jewel in the roughp_b82 is a jewel in the roughp_b82 is a jewel in the rough
that quote from Quinn is phenominal!

Ok so my policy has a few mods added to it, but it was £570 this year, and i have just had to send my license off for the photocard renewal!
Dieselpowered
Fitting Custom Hybrid Turbo (1856GTBv) & controller; Remap, swirlpot, lift pump
AMW Motorsports
Custom exhaust manifold & downpipe
p_b82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-09, 11:16 AM   #22
Jay-ZS+
Site Supporter

Jay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of light
Thats a great quote I paid £800+ last year for my 120 and I was 22 few mods but even so. I never understand insurance comps, rang up on sat to insure the 180 for a day just swap the cars over, was told I could dispite it being on file that had done it a week previous!

2012 BMW 320d Sport
Jay-ZS+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-09, 11:33 AM   #23
Jay-ZS+
Site Supporter

Jay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of light
Theres a guy on xpf with one of the 1.4 zs talking about getting the 180 might be worth a pm, http://forums.xpowerforums.com/member.php?u=9788 Not sure if it would be much cheaper on insurance not sure the insurance group for the 1.4 and 1.6

2012 BMW 320d Sport
Old 21-12-09, 12:14 PM   #24
Rabett

Rabett is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay-ZS+ View Post
Theres a guy on xpf with one of the 1.4 zs talking about getting the 180 might be worth a pm, http://forums.xpowerforums.com/member.php?u=9788 Not sure if it would be much cheaper on insurance not sure the insurance group for the 1.4 and 1.6
Would you mind copying the advert across as I am not a member on X Power forums and can't access it.
Cheers Lewis
Old 21-12-09, 12:27 PM   #25
Jay-ZS+
Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donal View Post
Hey, I'm from Ireland and looking for one of these. I've currently a 05 MG ZS+ 1.4 which is getting quite boring for me now. Would love to give a go with the 2.5 beast

Hopefully we can see pics soon!
Thats all that was said, commented on an advert for a 180, Its in Ireland but not sure where you are maybe too far!

2012 BMW 320d Sport
Old 21-12-09, 12:41 PM   #26
Rabett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay-ZS+ View Post
Thats all that was said, commented on an advert for a 180, Its in Ireland but not sure where you are maybe too far!
Might be a bit far for me. I do now have more of an idea what I want though. A MK2 ZS 110 Saloon with if possible The arch kit, bit spoiler and 11 Spoke alloys. In any colour except Starlight Silver, Firefrost or a Monogram colour would be my 1st choice.
Old 21-12-09, 12:51 PM   #27
starfire039

starfire039 is on a distinguished road
Hi mate, welcome!

Have you considered a diesel? They are 105 or 115 (get the 115 obviously!). Great fuel economy and don't think to bad on insurance, quite hard to find a clean well priced example I'd imagine though, but worth a look.

The good think about a ZS, apart from inlet manifold on the V6 and head gasket issues on the K's, the issues you may come across are easy to fix and not to expensive. It would be ideal to use any potential issues as haggling points when buying the car.

Look for:

> Leaky boot. Check under the carpet in the spare wheel well for any water or signs of water. Haggle on price if spotted, if it leaks then get some clear silicone for about a fiver and just smear it round the rubber seal corner with your finger so it fills the gap. Done!

> Heater blower 1 + 2 not working. This is like a 69p fix if you get a resisitor and do some soldering your self, or you could get one from a scrapper, or buy a kit off someone that I think has them on the MG-R forums. Takes about 10 minutes to fix. But could get you a bit knocked off the price of the car. Very common, but an easy fix.

> Seat bolster wear. The drivers side in particular WILL have wear on the leather part of the seat. I picked up a pair of front seat covers for 30 or 40 quid.

> Obviously, head gasket failure- check oil filler cap and dipstick to make sure the oil is the right colour and not a milky "mayo".

> Check rear door handles- are they stiff? Haggle, and if you buy the car, you will need to take off the door card (not hard) and shove some WD40 or something in the handle mechanism.

> Check for rear bumper sag on the mk 2's. Easy fix if you have the tools, cheapish fix I guess if you don't.

> Check coolant is nice and clear with no bits in.

> Check for metallic sounding rattling from the doors when driving round corners- this is just the metal connecting rod from the door hand to the latch mechanism. Can knock off money and get a roll of flashing tape or something and line the area of contact on the door so it won't rattle anymore. This has happened to a few people.

> Sometimes the female seatbelt connector rubs against the leather of the seat making it squeak. Flashing tape on the contact area will fix.

And obviously, as it's your first car take someone with some car know how. Check things like brake pads, tyres, ask how old the exhaust is, look for panel gaps, check for leaks etc etc.

I guess that's all you need to know... if going for a 110 or 120, you will either get say, a 110, or a 110+. The + means it has aircon and leccy windows and fogs. Optional extras that apply to the non + and + are things like sunroof, 180 body kit etc.

If you go for a 110 or 120, you can get a 180 body kit on it which is what you said you liked. Mark 2's need some undersealing as this was a casualty of project drive by MGR. Also I believe the mark 2's alarm sender unit needs modification as water can get in there.

If the alloys have kerbing, you can get touch up paint off ebay for £8 or so- easy to touch up yourself, worth knowing.

Hope this helps!
  • Replace/fix rattly mirror
  • Mark 2 dashboard
  • Catch tank
  • New VIS motors
  • Fit bucket seats
  • Induction kit
  • New spark plugs + oil change
  • New exhaust
  • Decat
  • Fix drivers seat mounting hole
  • Reidy Remap

starfire039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-09, 12:58 PM   #28
Jay-ZS+
Site Supporter

Some good tips there steve

2012 BMW 320d Sport
Old 21-12-09, 01:00 PM   #29
Stephen
Yeah defo back now...

Stephen will become famous soon enough
Hey mate, check the for sale section im thinking of selling my ZS 1.6 110+ With extreme spoiler and 11 spoke alloys. Doesnt have the bodykit though, but imo it doesnt need it. Has a few added extras too!

Stephen

Moonshine ZS 180
Glacier ZS 180
Twilight ZT 190 SE
Sunspot ZT-T 180
Dark Fantasy 75 Tourer
Blue MG5 EV
Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-09, 01:00 PM   #30
Rabett

I wouldn't mind a diesel or a 110. I know it sounds daft but I am more intrested in colour and spec. The good thing is I have plenty of time to look for the right car. As I don't start driving until November 2010.