theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > Technical Area > Build Projects

Old 29-10-17, 03:19 PM   #1
ZS
IT Administrator

ZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of light
T16

Picked up the T16 from Stamford a few weeks back now and have been chasing issues, as normal when you pick up a new secondhand car.

First issue was that I was not 100% happy with the suspension, so had a look under the car to find that the roll bar bushes were shot, so replaced them with new OE ones from rimmers.

IMG_20171022_144959.jpg
While there found some odd rubber "spring helpers" wound around the front springs, so pulled them off as well. Handling is 1000 x better now

Next was to find out why the interior fan wasn't working, after finding the resistor pack had disintegrated and fan seized I replaced both of them, but still it didn't work. Further investigation found that a fuse in the engine bay had gone so replaced that and now all is well.

something that has been annoying since we picked the car up (and I think Mick was chasing as well) was around 3-4k rpm the car would run rough, but only under load. Mick had already changed the coolant temp sender and on research the symptoms could also be spark plugs, rotor arm, distributor cap, cam or crank sensors as well.

Replaced the spark plugs, distributor cap and rotor arm, then cleaned up the earth points, but this didn't sort the issue.

IMG_20171001_175040.jpg
Whilst changing the plugs I found the throttle body mount was in bad shape and leaking air, so replaced it and then commisioned an alloy one to be made up - still waiting for this, will fit when it arrives.

Unplugged the cam sensor and car still ran, so then replugged it in and unplugged the crank sensor and again car still ran fine. So unlikely to be them, however I removed them both to clean them.

Whilst cleaning the crank sensor i noticed a small plastic pipe that comes out of the manifold and goes to the MEMS unit was not connected. I pushed this back into place and it popped out again as soon as I stepped back (not running the engine).

I did some research and found this is the MAP sensor, so using a zip tie reattached to the mems unit. Then took the car for a drive.

its much much better now, no rough running and a bit more power to boot

So what's next on the cards? Well it has a significant oil leak from somewhere, so next is to locate and fix that. Although I am told switching to 10W50 oil might help, so I will perform a full service at some point and see if that helps. Also I would like a pscan to connect to this (and my F's) ECU

received_10155685579581763.jpg

I love it when people call me at 3 AM. "Hey, you asleep?" "No, I'm skydiving."

http://www.bexairbrushing.co.uk
ZS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-17, 05:00 PM   #2
p_b82
Site Supporter

p_b82 is a jewel in the roughp_b82 is a jewel in the roughp_b82 is a jewel in the rough
Oh glad you've made some progress with it, but shame about the niggles....

no boost signal getting back to the ECU, I'm amazed it didn't run like a dog all the time... the L-series does when the map sensors hose is disconnected!
Dieselpowered
Fitting Custom Hybrid Turbo (1856GTBv) & controller; Remap, swirlpot, lift pump
AMW Motorsports
Custom exhaust manifold & downpipe
p_b82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-17, 07:09 PM   #3
talkingcars

talkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to behold
That is some progress.

It'll be worth checking that you still connect a scanner to the system, numpty who fitted my T16 in the maestro butchered the scanner wiring.
Old 29-10-17, 07:41 PM   #4
ZS
IT Administrator

ZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by talkingcars View Post
That is some progress.

It'll be worth checking that you still connect a scanner to the system, numpty who fitted my T16 in the maestro butchered the scanner wiring.
Deffo got the three pin diags hanging out the mems unit just need pscan and the adaptor

Old 29-10-17, 08:39 PM   #5
ZS
IT Administrator

Also forgot to say that I had some new tyres fitted and 4 wheel alignment done, on fitting the wheels back to the rear drivers side, one of the studs fell off.

A quick ebay later and I had a new hub assembly at my door and fitted the same day (as delivery, 2 days after tyre fitting).

As the car has spacers (due to the brembo 4 pots) I am considering longer studs in the future, not made my mind up just yet

Old 29-10-17, 09:26 PM   #6
stamford
Site Owner

stamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud of
Pleased you are finding the time I didn't have. I do miss it but had to be done. There is more hidden than first realised, shame really as it didn't seem the case, probably why it didn't do many miles?
Old 29-10-17, 10:11 PM   #7
Dan1971
Site Ambassador

Dan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud of
Safe hands indeed. Good that it's gone to one of us who has the knowledge and drive to get it running well and keep us posted with progress.
Dan1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-17, 06:58 PM   #8
ZS
IT Administrator

Decided to take the car to work today, 40 mile trip either direction.

On the way there I noticed that under hard acceleration at around 3.5k revs the whole thing cut out like hitting a brick wall. Blooming scary if you don't understand boost-cut.

Boost-cut, or fuel-cut, for those that don't know what it is. Is when the ecu detects an "Over Boost" and cuts fuel to protect the engine, and when it does this it is very very harsh! Seriously its like hitting a brick wall.

The MEMS 1.6 ECU boost-cuts at 14.5psi. Looking at the boost gauge the car was hitting 1.25 bar (roughly 18 psi) so I stopped at some services and wound back the boost regulator 5 clicks (no idea what a click is, just seemed a good number) and continued to work.

The exact same thing happened at 1.25 bar, so at work I did some research and discovered that this particular car was built at 14psi of boost with standard internals, but must at some point have been wound up to about 22psi!!

So, I would back to 14 psi (roughly 1 bar) and the journey home had no boost-cuts at all. So problem solved.

BUT! On the A272 I was stuck behind a slow driver, hitting max speeds of 30 in nationals and 25 in the 50 zones... So, knowing my boost-cut issues were solved and knowing the road I decided to overtake.

<insert naughty words here> I dropped two gears and pulled out then floored it as you do, fighting the torque steer and within what felt like a second I hit 70 and couldn't see any cars behind me. Damn this thing is fast! and handles well when it needs to!

Checked my speed for the change in limit, checked my trousers and continued home... lesson learned, you don't need to floor the T16 when overtaking!!!

Old 30-10-17, 07:30 PM   #9
stamford
Site Owner

stamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud of
it is a bit of an animal isn't it! I floored it a couple of times and fought the torque steer, you need some room to control it. Drives well when not on boost, quite civilised!
Old 30-10-17, 07:59 PM   #10
ZS
IT Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stamford View Post
it is a bit of an animal isn't it! I floored it a couple of times and fought the torque steer, you need some room to control it. Drives well when not on boost, quite civilised!
I must admit, I've floored it a few times before and thought it was quick, but that's the first time "in anger" flooring it since fixing the issues that slowed it down. Nice and smooth power delivery, easy to spin wheels in third without thinking and quicker than the RX8 by a long way (ours is a 231 bhp standard car) I wasn't expecting how much power it can put down and how nice the delivery is