theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > theMGZS.co.uk > General Discussion

Old 27-12-17, 09:26 PM   #1
silver bullet

silver bullet is on a distinguished road
New MG 'ZS'

Serious question, has anyone considered one of the new 'ZS'? Like it or lump it that's the name they went with.

Reason for asking is my partner is keen for one, it fits what she needs and is pretty cheap. I'm curious as to genuine thoughts or if anyone has actually bought one?

If I look objectively, I was honestly surprised at the fit and finish of it, it feels leaps and bounds better than a 3 or 6, but three things stuck out to me one was lack of Nav and second was no android auto, yet it has apple carplay and the third the tiny engine.

Anyway not wanting to start a war on the real ZS but interested in what people think if you have looked up close at one or driven one? Better yet own one.

*Forza the original ZS!
2003 MG ZR 160 (Trophy Blue)
2005 MG ZS 180 (Starlight Silver)
2005 MG ZR Rover K Turbo Race Car (Starlight Silver)
2015 Audi 8V S3 (Glacier White)
2018 MG ZS 1.0T (Regal Blue)

2013 Opel Astra OPC - Gone
2010 Audi B8 A4 - Gone
2005 Honda Accord Euro - Gone
silver bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-17, 11:56 PM   #2
Dan1971
Site Ambassador

Dan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud of
Not really looked at one but if you're in the market for that type of thing, I'd take one out.

Got to be as good as the other offerings from low end marques like Hyundai, Kia, etc all of which are starting to build decent cars
Dan1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-17, 09:04 AM   #3
redzed

redzed has a spectacular aura aboutredzed has a spectacular aura about
Why not the gs? It's got 120kw on the base 2wd rather than 80 for the zs. For me I dont know how a car that size can actually be ok to drive with 80kw.
Old 28-12-17, 09:10 AM   #4
redzed

redzed has a spectacular aura aboutredzed has a spectacular aura about
Top spec gs is AWD and 160kw!
Old 28-12-17, 09:39 AM   #5
talkingcars

talkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to behold
The body style doesn't interest me but those who have commented on facebook after getting one all seemed happy.
Old 29-12-17, 01:20 AM   #6
mattie007

mattie007 is just really nicemattie007 is just really nicemattie007 is just really nicemattie007 is just really nicemattie007 is just really nice
Had one today while my 3 was in for service. It was only registered this morning so brand spanking new. It had a very good nav system on this top spec model.
Here’s my thoughts:
- build quality is superb, best modern MG yet. Interior design is stylish, simplistic and overall a nice place to be. A good mix of materials.
- love the touchscreen (one of the best on the market according to my stepdad who delivers top end cars to customers). Synced to my iPhone in seconds and the built in nav is brilliant, very modern
- handling is as sharp as my 3, I tried all 3 driving modes on duel carriageway, roundabouts and back roads. You can tell a difference unlike what the press reports say, although perhaps its a bit of a gimmick.
- looks very modern and stylish, the chrome grille and lights stand out
- gearbox is lovely and smooth, not once did it feel notchy.
- the 1.5 engine feels smoother and delivers the power better than my 3 (same engine, but with a different map) Theres no hesitation and above 2.5k revs almost feels like it has a small turbo. Its not a quick car, but drop a gear and it moves. I would have liked to try the 1L auto but thats for another time.
- Leather seats are very comfortable, I was hoping for heated seats but even though it was -2 when I picked the car up, the seats did't feel cold.
- massive boot and loads of room inside
- 47mpg over 100 miles of mixed driving
- rear parking camera is great

So overall it’s a decent package. £15k top of the range, 7 year warranty and 0% finance. Never considered an SUV, but it’s tempting. It’s such a step up from the 3 although I still enjoy driving that car. I just wish they’d put the GS Turbo engine in. Apparently the 1.0l Turbo auto is a better engine so may check that out.
Old 29-12-17, 01:23 AM   #7
mattie007

mattie007 is just really nicemattie007 is just really nicemattie007 is just really nicemattie007 is just really nicemattie007 is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by redzed View Post
Why not the gs? It's got 120kw on the base 2wd rather than 80 for the zs. For me I dont know how a car that size can actually be ok to drive with 80kw.
I thought the same as the engine is the weakest point of the MG3 but it’s so different, like a different engine altogether. When run in it should be even better.
Old 02-01-18, 02:08 AM   #8
silver bullet

silver bullet is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by redzed View Post
A few reasons...
I think the rear end of the GS is horrid, ugly doesn't begin to explain it for me, I do like the front but it is also bigger - too big for what we need in reality, apart from engine + awd it doesn't warrant the price jump, I think there are genuinely better cars out there for GS money. The ZS is priced at a point that its very attractive value for money + 7 year warranty etc. (likely longer than ill own it), it has nailed the brief to attract the average person value for money. I am thinking the 1.0 Turbo, something I never thought id say.

The biggest reason im considering it is the build quality, I didn't think the build quality of the 3 and GS was really there (in modern terms), but the little things, the door shut of the ZS sounds quality, infact it sounds and feels like a Golf, the steering wheel, indicators etc. feels quality like I expect in a Mazda/VW etc. All things that genuinely surprised me, I was expecting to hate it and walk away but im actually considering it, MG is like Hyundai was 15-20 years ago, but instead of taking 10 years to improve the quality its taken them 5. And I know the warranty is buying market share but its impressive they are backing their cars to that length, most manufacturers take far longer to back their cars.

Then there is what has been said here which I agree with...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattie007 View Post
Had one today while my 3 was in for service. It was only registered this morning so brand spanking new. It had a very good nav system on this top spec model.
Here’s my thoughts:
- build quality is superb, best modern MG yet. Interior design is stylish, simplistic and overall a nice place to be. A good mix of materials.
- love the touchscreen (one of the best on the market according to my stepdad who delivers top end cars to customers). Synced to my iPhone in seconds and the built in nav is brilliant, very modern
- handling is as sharp as my 3, I tried all 3 driving modes on duel carriageway, roundabouts and back roads. You can tell a difference unlike what the press reports say, although perhaps its a bit of a gimmick.
- looks very modern and stylish, the chrome grille and lights stand out
- gearbox is lovely and smooth, not once did it feel notchy.
- the 1.5 engine feels smoother and delivers the power better than my 3 (same engine, but with a different map) Theres no hesitation and above 2.5k revs almost feels like it has a small turbo. Its not a quick car, but drop a gear and it moves. I would have liked to try the 1L auto but thats for another time.
- Leather seats are very comfortable, I was hoping for heated seats but even though it was -2 when I picked the car up, the seats did't feel cold.
- massive boot and loads of room inside
- 47mpg over 100 miles of mixed driving
- rear parking camera is great
Interestingly here there is no Nav.
2003 MG ZR 160 (Trophy Blue)
2005 MG ZS 180 (Starlight Silver)
2005 MG ZR Rover K Turbo Race Car (Starlight Silver)
2015 Audi 8V S3 (Glacier White)
2018 MG ZS 1.0T (Regal Blue)

2013 Opel Astra OPC - Gone
2010 Audi B8 A4 - Gone
2005 Honda Accord Euro - Gone

Last edited by silver bullet; 02-01-18 at 02:11 AM.
silver bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-18, 08:59 AM   #9
Mark S

Mark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by silver bullet View Post
A few reasons...
I am thinking the 1.0 Turbo, something I never thought id say.

Interestingly here there is no Nav.
I am a huge fan of small turbocharged petrol engines, if I was buying a used modern car (>7 years old) it would have to be a turbo lump.

Now I haven't driven the vauxhall 1.0 turbo (engine in zs?) but the vag 1.2 & 1.4 tsi are great motors, I especially like the 1.2tsi (110bhp), the ford ecoboost is the best of the bunch untill you put the noise factor in the equation.

My reservations with vauxhall engines would be the likelyhood of it being just like the rest of the engine lineup, rattly cam chains early in life or some other disaster that is likely to fall.
That said, if you don't keep it forever why not?

I really don't see any reason to choose the 1.5 nasp when the 1.0turbo does everything so much better?

Competition...
The ZS really doesn't need to be a good car when you look at the competition!
The woefully bad Nissan Joke, the renault Cadjar, which is basically the same thing but cheaper and a better choice of engines, but why buy a clio on stilts when you could buy the clio?
Kia - good cars now, but is the only competition in the range the Soul? - and the Soul is not a nice car to drive. - Kia/Hyundai have been slow on the uptake of the turbocharged petrols which for me puts them out of the equation.

But then came the Seat thing, whatever its called. Now if your buying new this has to come into the equation.
The DSG box is superb, the TSi engines are the best and more refined than anything else in the market.

As for nav - if you can get it great, 10 years ago it was so important, but now every person has a smart phone which has a form of nav, nearly every new car pairs to a smart phone and I'm just not seeing the importance of Nav anymore.
In the used car market Nav seems even less important unless you are guarenteed up to date maps.

I don't know how good or bad the ZS is going to be in years to come, but considering the competetion (with the exception of the SEAT) I think its not a bad option in 1.0t form and well worth looking at - drop in the SEAT and I think you'd be a fool not to compare the two, even if the SEAT is more money it will always have the residuals.

Residuals.
The 6 lost money faster than Sicily lost it to the Mafia, the 3 stabilised things more, but 3's can be had 3 years old, low miles for 4k - now that sounds bad until you realise they were being given away by MG with crazy overpricing of the old shitters being traded in - so really people didn't do so bad as long as they paid naff all in the first place!
The ZS is unlikely to be a car to hit mainstream fleet, so to an extent the dealers can control residuals a bit like Kia residuals, meaning a private sale could be OK, no doubt the dealers will kick you in the shins 2k under retail at disposal.
The SEAT is a guarentee of strong residuals.

All in all, the MG is well worth a look
Mark S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-18, 09:04 AM   #10
Mark S

Mark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to all
If your in Oz, do you get the honda mini MPV thing that's based on the Jazz? (certainly Japan gets it) Is that worth a look also?
Mark S is offline   Reply With Quote