theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > theMGZS.co.uk > General Discussion

Old 08-01-16, 06:42 PM   #21
carmadbaker

carmadbaker has a spectacular aura aboutcarmadbaker has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNDQ View Post
What good would that sort of power be in a ZS tho you wouldn't be able to use it all be lost though wheel spinning
If your clever with your right foot any power level is manageable, with 322bhp on tap i can't remember the last time i had an uncontrollable wheel spin? And thats driving hard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by talkingcars View Post
Dropping a Honda engine into a ZS is more than mating the engine to the gearbox, the engines are on the wrong side for a start.
Granted, but most parts are available easily from old Hondas? Drive shaft would be tricky but I would imagine something is available. Not as easy as a T16, VVC or turbo K but.... Do able

-MK1 MG ZS T16 Turbo 2.1
-Lotus Elise S2 111

You Can't Spell Dangerous Without "Dan"
carmadbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-16, 09:14 AM   #22
Mark S

Mark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmadbaker View Post
If your clever with your right foot any power level is manageable, with 322bhp on tap i can't remember the last time i had an uncontrollable wheel spin? And thats driving hard.
there is honda civic I know of with 560bhp (low boost, higher boost is over 800bhp) and its as drivable as any other car regardless of the right foot, the power delivery from the engine and its mapping make it easy to drive and even with such fast acceleration the chassis design prevented it from lighting up its wheels and steering itself to the nearest ditch.
That was was a complete car design tho, rather than just chucking in a bigbhp motor into an otherwise unmodified car.

The k conversions would be hard work with lots of custom parts.

The b16 motor such as used on the mb civic should be easy enough? The b18 is essentially the same thing as found in the teg (which is similar also).
The b18 nasp will tune to 285bhp (I know of one out there and its fast)

Problem with a fancy honda motor in the zs is it will always be a 4/5 door zs and carry the weight, the honda eg/ek/dc2 came as 3 doors and were lighter, the eg weighing in at sub 900kg.
Mark S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-16, 11:35 AM   #23
redzed

redzed has a spectacular aura aboutredzed has a spectacular aura about
Zs doors don't weigh a lot when stripped though I've not weighed my zs yet but am aiming at 950kgs ish, not a massive amount off?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S View Post
there is honda civic I know of with 560bhp (low boost, higher boost is over 800bhp) and its as drivable as any other car regardless of the right foot, the power delivery from the engine and its mapping make it easy to drive and even with such fast acceleration the chassis design prevented it from lighting up its wheels and steering itself to the nearest ditch.
That was was a complete car design tho, rather than just chucking in a bigbhp motor into an otherwise unmodified car.

The k conversions would be hard work with lots of custom parts.

The b16 motor such as used on the mb civic should be easy enough? The b18 is essentially the same thing as found in the teg (which is similar also).
The b18 nasp will tune to 285bhp (I know of one out there and its fast)

Problem with a fancy honda motor in the zs is it will always be a 4/5 door zs and carry the weight, the honda eg/ek/dc2 came as 3 doors and were lighter, the eg weighing in at sub 900kg.
Old 09-01-16, 12:30 PM   #24
talkingcars

talkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by redzed View Post
Zs doors don't weigh a lot when stripped though I've not weighed my zs yet but am aiming at 950kgs ish, not a massive amount off?
Doors come in at around 29kg with glass, winder motor, locks etc.
talkingcars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-16, 06:10 PM   #25
Mark S

Mark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to all
Quote:
990 with cage is about the lowest zs weight I've heard of.
Old 09-01-16, 08:25 PM   #26
redzed

Quote:
Doors come in at around 29kg with glass, winder motor, locks etc.
Weighed mine at 11kgs as they're stripped out with Perspex instead of glass
Old 09-01-16, 08:26 PM   #27
redzed

Quote:
990 with cage is about the lowest zs weight I've heard of.
Dry? Can't see how a dc2 can be 100kgs lighter than a zs
Old 09-01-16, 10:17 PM   #28
Mark S

Quote:
Dry? Can't see how a dc2 can be 100kgs lighter than a zs

wet, some fuel no driver.

the eg is the light one, the ek is still lighter than the zs as is the dc2, the jdm dc2 of certain years used a thinner steel which saved 40kg in itself.
Old 10-01-16, 11:28 AM   #29
talkingcars

talkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
.......the jdm dc2 of certain years used a thinner steel which saved 40kg in itself.
so you'd be better off with a mk2 with it's thinner steel and thinner paint.
talkingcars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-16, 12:25 PM   #30
Mark S

Quote:
so you'd be better off with a mk2 with it's thinner steel and thinner paint.
lol.

did the mk2 really have thinner steel? the front wings certainly 'seemed' thinner, but what about elsewhere?