AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > theMGZS.co.uk > General Discussion

Old 15-06-13, 12:04 AM   #1
jonnytenny

jonnytenny is on a distinguished road
ZS vs ZR (ZR owner considering a ZS.)

Hi everyone!

New to the forum but have an account on themgzr.co.uk, I'm thinking of selling/trading in my Mk2 ZR for a Mk2 ZS. Just wondering if it's worth it?

I want something bigger but just as fun to drive. Saw the old Top Gear review by Tiff Needell of the Mk1's and he thought the ZS was a big step up. I need something for the motorways aswell - am I right in thinking the ZS is still only a 5 speed gearbox? That's a bit annoying.

Just looking for some input folks - Basically, need something (Petrol) Bigger, better driving position than my ZR and something for the motorways (My ZR is awful on the motorways, sitting at 3k RPM and to be honest, I've never found my ZR comfortable, hurts my back a bit and I'm a 24 year old and not a big guy so I should fit just fine!)

Thanks in advance guys!

Jonny.
jonnytenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-13, 12:49 AM   #2
Maxxed_Ross
Events Organiser-Scotland

Maxxed_Ross has a spectacular aura aboutMaxxed_Ross has a spectacular aura about
I went from a ZR 105 to a ZS 180 and never looked back

The ZS is more "upmarket" is almost every way. It feels better built, the interior is a nicer place to be and you have the added bonus of more space both inside and in the huuuuge boot.

I didn't buy mine for economy, but it turned out to be a great mile muncher that was surprisingly economical on long motorway runs. I found you could regularly get over 400 miles from a tank cruising at 80mph while still doing so in comfort.

The KV6 is by far the smoothest V6 I've ever driven, and for a big car it does handle with the best of them. The way it's geared you won't miss a 6th gear.

If I had to go back and do it all again I would still make the move, if not earlier!

www.facebook.com/EX259

"It's not broken, it's an opportunity to upgrade!"
Maxxed_Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-13, 07:45 AM   #3
Dave

Dave is on a distinguished road
I came from a modded R25 derv, to a ZS derv.

I'll never go back to a smaller car now.

The ZS handles great, looks great, just a massive step up really.

Cheers
Dave
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-13, 07:50 AM   #4
stamford
Site Owner

stamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud of
Do it, you won't be disappointed. I still have my 180 after 8+ years.
Old 15-06-13, 08:13 AM   #5
chris01

chris01 is on a distinguished road
i went from a zr160 to my zs180, the zs is alot smoother, way more comfortable and seems to be better on fuel, my insurance jumped up a considerable amount but well worth it
chris01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-13, 09:22 AM   #6
talkingcars

talkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to behold
Hi and welcome to the forum.

Wife has a ZR160, I have 2 ZS180's, both drive nicer than hers and are better built.

At motorway speeds the V6 is more refined.

The only things the ZR is better at is chucking it through the lanes but only just and taking large items in the boot as it's a hatch and a proper ZS should be a saloon.

James
Old 15-06-13, 10:03 AM   #7
peterzs
promoted bloke!

peterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to behold
I have a ZS Derv, driven up to Glasgow from Bournemouth and then after finding the caravan park went for a half hour drive to find some fish and chips. Car is so easy to drive and comfortable, no worries about distances or motorways.

But everyone is different, plenty of ZS's for sale, find one or two near you and take them for a test drive!!!!
Old 15-06-13, 10:12 AM   #8
Ricwin
Site Supporter

Ricwin is on a distinguished road
I fitted the ZR Monaco seats to my old 200 bubble. And although they were certainly more suited to cornering than the standard seats, they were not as comfy on a long journey.

One thing I noticed straight away was the driving position is superb in the ZS.
Every car is different, however I felt 'at home' instantly moving from the 200 to the ZS. Everything from the seating position and pedals to the steering column and visibility.

The ZS is alot more suitable on the motorway as well. It feels alot more planted, alot safer (if that makes sense). I was never happy on a motorway in the 200, probably due to the lack of power from the 1.4 16v or because of the general size/shape.

The ZS handling is nothing short of magnificent for front wheel drive, especially when you consider the age of the design. The 180 suspension is not exactly comfortable on even slightly bumpy roads, but the balance and grip is fantastic through corners and it sits very nicely on a smooth motorway.
Ricwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-13, 10:22 AM   #9
Skillen

Skillen is a jewel in the roughSkillen is a jewel in the roughSkillen is a jewel in the roughSkillen is a jewel in the rough
Make the change to one you've looked at thoroughly and made sure its bit a dog and you'll not regret it.

I still have my ZR and its sitting unused as the ZS is better in every way apart from fuel!

Believe it or not my insurance for the ZR is £750 a year and the ZS is £415.

I have two ZS's now a mk1 and mk2 and feel the mk1 is the more capable of the two though it could be due to the different feel of wider tyres on the mk2 and miles better rubber on the mk1.

The ZR is a great little car and mine has front and rear braces and is lowered 35mm but the handling isn't as precise or turn in as good as the ZS.

Comfort is way better in the ZS too and I feel it has a lower driving seat too!

Make the change. You won't regret it!
Skillen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-13, 11:03 AM   #10
readie86

readie86 is on a distinguished road
i use my derv zs on the motorway every weekend and my mrs has a derv zr, even she prefers my car handles much better and the driving position is one of the best ive ever had massivley comfortable and spacious, foot rest next to the clutch is also a huge bonus on the 2 and half hour drive, driven my mrs zr on a long run and i cant stand the sit up and beg driving position in it and you can never seem to get the steering wheel in a comfortable position