theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > theMGZS.co.uk > General Discussion

Old 10-01-13, 08:25 PM   #1
Skillen

Skillen is a jewel in the roughSkillen is a jewel in the roughSkillen is a jewel in the roughSkillen is a jewel in the rough
Knocking/heavy vibrating and alloy as hot as a house radiator

Been getting a knocking for about a month and it started gentle and now rocks the car!
It's not a constant thing, sometimes lasts 30seconds sometimes 30minutes (been getting longer time periods lately)
It had its MOT yesterday and it passed with rear brake pipe as an advisory. It didn't appear to be there when I first got it back but it soon reared its ugly wobbling head!
Do you think they missed something?
Any ideas on what the issue could be?

Not rev related but the knocks get faster with speed, and more intense on in gear deceleration and out of gear, constant speed cruising makes them loud and acceleratingakes them slightly decrease in intensity.

Also deceleration in gear makes me lose speed pretty quickly and more quickly than I've noticed before.
It also struggled to pull from 45-50 in 5th and struggled up a hill in 3rd when the knocking was there. When the knocking is absent on the same hill it seems fine.

Doesn't pull one way or another and vid below of noise and the shaking coming through the steering.

No ABS light and I tested it and the system seems to work

Passengers say they feel it a lot their side.

Sorry for all the info.
I'm at a loss here guys.
Thanks, Callum.
Skillen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-13, 08:27 PM   #2
Skillen

Skillen is a jewel in the roughSkillen is a jewel in the roughSkillen is a jewel in the roughSkillen is a jewel in the rough
http://youtu.be/jbBMSpCyiek

Can't embed the video sorry.
But that's the link
Old 10-01-13, 08:28 PM   #3
grimmy
its ginger its phenomenal

grimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud of
Sounds like a sticking caliper or warped brake disc causing the car to drag.
Old 10-01-13, 08:32 PM   #4
Skillen

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimmy View Post
Sounds like a sticking caliper or warped brake disc causing the car to drag.
Just had it serviced with the mot and the pads changed, guy said discs alright. It had its MOT following service too would they have picked up the sticking caliper? As they did on my ZR

But thanks ill ask them to look into that.
Old 10-01-13, 08:37 PM   #5
grimmy
its ginger its phenomenal

grimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud of
If its something like that it will get worse as the discs heat up and expand I would guess.
Old 10-01-13, 09:01 PM   #6
petet16
Technical Expert R.I.P.

petet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to behold
Hard to be sure, but it sounds like it's running on 5 cylinders

R.I.P. Peter David Scott 18.07.59 to 21.11.16
Will be missed by us all but we will always remember you.

petet16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-13, 09:03 PM   #7
petet16
Technical Expert R.I.P.

petet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to behold
Sorry, just reread the title, if the wheel is getting that hot the caliper will be sticking

Old 10-01-13, 09:08 PM   #8
Skillen

Quote:
Originally Posted by petet16 View Post
Sorry, just reread the title, if the wheel is getting that hot the caliper will be sticking
Alright I'll get It looked at again! Stupid thing! Passed well and then needs fixed haha! Don't know how they've not noticed it tbh!
Old 10-01-13, 09:36 PM   #9
petet16
Technical Expert R.I.P.

The thing with an mot is it's only valid at the time it's issued, so if it worked on the test it passes, you drive 2 miles and it sticks doesn't matter, it worked when it was tested.

Old 10-01-13, 09:57 PM   #10
Skillen

Quote:
Originally Posted by petet16 View Post
The thing with an mot is it's only valid at the time it's issued, so if it worked on the test it passes, you drive 2 miles and it sticks doesn't matter, it worked when it was tested.
It did the vibrating beforehand as well so thought they might have noticed it then! Guess it was playing nice for the testers!

Last edited by Skillen; 10-01-13 at 10:00 PM.