Old 04-05-12, 03:21 PM   #11
zsserbia

zsserbia will become famous soon enough
I'd check the ECU wiring. Or if there are any aliens around
zsserbia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-12, 04:41 PM   #12
Jay-ZS+
Site Supporter

Jay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of light
Sure Ive heard of similar things due to surges in pylons above. Not sure if its true, not sure how it would affect modern cars let alone the ZS there not much in the way of electrics most mechanical, cable throttle etc...

That or the supernatural!!

2012 BMW 320d Sport
Jay-ZS+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-12, 06:45 PM   #13
talkingcars

talkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to behold
Way back in about 1986 I was driving anti-clockwise on the M25 just north of junction 10 (A3/Wisley) at about 1am. In those days at that time of night traffic was very light and the car in front was proberbly 5 or 600 yards ahead.

I notice his lights seem to go off for a moment, as I passed the same point the whole car cut out, the lights went out, the radio stopped, the engine stopped, a split second later it all came back on.

A few days later I was traveling passed the same point durring the day light and noticed that there are overhead power lines - I can only assume the 2 are connected.

The scirroco used an early form of injection known as K-jetronic which is purely mechanical, there were no electronics in the car apart from the radio cassete, this was before the days of CD players in cars, it was only just available in the home.

More modern cars using CANBUS (the ZT/75 has this and the mk2 ZS has a vauge crude version in the MFU) use electrical pulses in the system to control the the electronics. A electro magnetic field from a pylon could cause an extra pulse that would confuse the system.
Old 04-05-12, 07:57 PM   #14
haGGard

haGGard is on a distinguished road
Sounds to me like an engine sensor failing. Probably the crankshaft position sensor. Clean it up or replace it. My ZS 180 has the exact same symptoms as your describing.
haGGard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-12, 11:05 PM   #15
brf1976

brf1976 is on a distinguished road
Well whatever it was it has not re-occurred and I travel the same rout ever day.

Also there are some pylons nearby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haGGard View Post
Sounds to me like an engine sensor failing. Probably the crankshaft position sensor. Clean it up or replace it. My ZS 180 has the exact same symptoms as your describing.
How costly is this to do?
brf1976 is offline   Reply With Quote