theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > theMGZS.co.uk > General Discussion

Old 03-05-12, 07:29 PM   #1
brf1976

brf1976 is on a distinguished road
Should I be worried

Driving home from work today and the engine completely cut out (it wound down with no response from accelerator to a stand still) I put the hazards on and turned ignition off and back on and engine started up again as if there was no issue.

Question is this an indicator of a potential problem and has anyone else with a MG ZS 180 or other MG ZS had this issue?

Any responses would be greatly appreciated

Thanks!!
brf1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-12, 07:55 PM   #2
talkingcars

talkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to behold
I've had similar in other cars but not the ZS.
Old 03-05-12, 09:16 PM   #3
brf1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by talkingcars View Post
I've had similar in other cars but not the ZS.
What was the issue there?

The only thing I can think is I recently did a DIY air intake over the pipercross cone; which was tight and could of restricted the air to the filter.

I have since taken this ducting off and will replace pipercross cone with a K&N appollo enclosed induction as soon as pay cheque comes (budget restrictions as I know ITG maxogen is well rated).
Old 03-05-12, 09:20 PM   #4
stamford
Site Owner

stamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud of
Interesting, I had something similar on mine several weeks back, loss of power but didn't cut out, cleared after 20 secs or so and not happened again since.
Old 03-05-12, 09:29 PM   #5
brf1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by stamford View Post
Interesting, I had something similar on mine several weeks back, loss of power but didn't cut out, cleared after 20 secs or so and not happened again since.
Yeah hope it is a one off with me to as it just happened out of the blue. It was just like traveling at 50 in national speed limit and then turning the ignition off cause I think the steering lock came on to.

Just glad I was not on the motorway in overtaking lane
Old 04-05-12, 12:17 AM   #6
andy-81

andy-81 has a spectacular aura aboutandy-81 has a spectacular aura about
it sounds exactly the same as what my 206 gti did, they never found what caused it. The only thing i can thing of you doing is to check the plugs and wires that go into the ecu and also maybe check the condition of the ignition wires, ignition module and fuses
andy-81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-12, 06:23 AM   #7
talkingcars

talkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to behold
A common cause of problems is wires around the ECU rubbing through, could be that.
Or it could be the earth strap from the gearbox to the slam panel.
It could even be a stray radio impulse that triggered the immboliser.
On my Lada it was the contacts in the ignition switch that had burnt out.
On my scirroco the screw that was used to earth the fuel pump was too small for the hole which caused it not to start, once started it would run all day.
Old 04-05-12, 08:02 AM   #8
peterzs
promoted bloke!

peterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to behold
Smile

Sounds daft, but you havnt got a load of keys on the key ring???

If the lock is a bit worn, the weight of the keys after going over a bump could turn it off, or I have had my knee hit the keys and done the same thing.

Or as talking cars says, check all the earth and battery connectors, had a Volvo that would cut out, lose everything, then come back on. That was the power lead to the starter motor that had broken.
Old 04-05-12, 08:28 AM   #9
brf1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy-81 View Post
it sounds exactly the same as what my 206 gti did, they never found what caused it. The only thing i can thing of you doing is to check the plugs and wires that go into the ecu and also maybe check the condition of the ignition wires, ignition module and fuses
Cheers Andy will look this weekend just as a precaution

Quote:
Originally Posted by talkingcars View Post
A common cause of problems is wires around the ECU rubbing through, could be that.
Or it could be the earth strap from the gearbox to the slam panel.
It could even be a stray radio impulse that triggered the immboliser.
On my Lada it was the contacts in the ignition switch that had burnt out.
On my scirroco the screw that was used to earth the fuel pump was too small for the hole which caused it not to start, once started it would run all day.
Cheers Talking Cars really hope it was a stray radio signal.

Update after taking ducting off big improvement in performance so could not of helped
Old 04-05-12, 08:34 AM   #10
brf1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterzs View Post
Sounds daft, but you havnt got a load of keys on the key ring???

If the lock is a bit worn, the weight of the keys after going over a bump could turn it off, or I have had my knee hit the keys and done the same thing.

Or as talking cars says, check all the earth and battery connectors, had a Volvo that would cut out, lose everything, then come back on. That was the power lead to the starter motor that had broken.
I do as it goes I will take some off cheers peter