theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > Technical Area > Build Projects

Old 18-02-13, 11:16 AM   #181
buff-1

buff-1 will become famous soon enough
any update hope everything is going good for you, might be able to help as me and a mate are embarking on this idea after decideding to stop SC project.
buff-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-13, 05:37 PM   #182
p_b82
Site Supporter

p_b82 is a jewel in the roughp_b82 is a jewel in the roughp_b82 is a jewel in the rough
no, no progress still waiting for the guy to build me the electronics before i can get it in the workshop again.

Reminds me i should chase him again - as he had started on coding the firmware a few months ago - but he changed jobs recently and has been a bit snowed under.

My advise would be not to use this turbo at all - go VNT - arduino can control it now or fit a larger wastegated turbo and suffer the lag. this has been one long issue after issue

on the bad side it seems as though coolant is going some-where again.... as temp is still rock steady i am hoping it is yet another jubliee clip dying... but not holding my breath with this car
Dieselpowered
Fitting Custom Hybrid Turbo (1856GTBv) & controller; Remap, swirlpot, lift pump
AMW Motorsports
Custom exhaust manifold & downpipe
p_b82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-13, 09:42 PM   #183
buff-1

he has been messing around with a custom map and has had good results he was getting 159bhp with out intercooler r any other parts he wasnt happy woth he was worried wlcar was running quite high temps. maybe try a two turbo set up use a smaller turbo then a larger one hasnt been done before to a zs go bi-turbo could work.
Old 19-02-13, 03:28 PM   #184
p_b82
Site Supporter

p_b82 is a jewel in the roughp_b82 is a jewel in the roughp_b82 is a jewel in the rough
Yes - 160 is the limit you can get up to on the OE turbo - and even then the EGT's and EMP (exhaust gas temp and exhaust manifold pressure) are right up there on the limit.

A bi turbo would be a nice build - i thought about and and with hindsight would have been a lot cheaper in the long run - but space is an issue and will need a fairly large amount of fiddling to get it to fit properly.

VNT would be simpler - but space for the large ones (GT 22 family) is still very tight!
Dieselpowered
AMW Motorsports
Old 19-02-13, 04:29 PM   #185
sneekyparrot

sneekyparrot is a jewel in the roughsneekyparrot is a jewel in the roughsneekyparrot is a jewel in the roughsneekyparrot is a jewel in the rough
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by buff-1 View Post
he has been messing around with a custom map and has had good results he was getting 159bhp with out intercooler r any other parts he wasnt happy woth he was worried wlcar was running quite high temps. maybe try a two turbo set up use a smaller turbo then a larger one hasnt been done before to a zs go bi-turbo could work.
why is he not using an intercooler?? would of thought that was near top of the list.

P.
Old 19-02-13, 06:18 PM   #186
buff-1

he just didnt get round to it, i might look into the bi-turbo idea could be a good idea but u say limited for space how much space?
Old 25-02-13, 12:57 PM   #187
p_b82
Site Supporter

well if you look down the back of the engine there is not a huge amount of space - the XS is in better shapre than the ZR granted - but you need to decide if you cn fit a second turbo and fabiracte the amnifold - and pipe work - as well we new downpipe to make it all fit and clear the drive shafts.

i was going to go with a rear mounted one - if i went down that route as it was 'simpler' but more expensive in the metal work side of things.

think the biggest current snail that can be squeezed down the back is a gt 22 family unit - and that is with removing all existing pipe work and only using adaptor plates from the manifold - and a custom downpipe to the exhaust.
Dieselpowered
AMW Motorsports
Old 20-03-13, 12:15 PM   #188
p_b82
Site Supporter

so a rather interesting phone call this morning - and it seems there will be some changes afoot on the ZS on the suspension front on the cards.

dont want to say too much just yet - but a rather unique set of adjustable suspension has come up at a very good price... and i am probably going to change the springs for something a bit more refined for road use yet more capable under heavy loads (aka track or 'spirited driving')

Some maths needs to be done first, but to achieve this will need to use progressive springs...

once i pick up the brembodge setup from sneakyparrot - there will be very little left to alter on this car and will pretty much be the finished article... had better get the engine to stop blowing its HG and then i can really enjoy it at that point!

And here i was just the other month falling out of love with the car and thinking of selling up
Dieselpowered
AMW Motorsports
Old 20-03-13, 01:33 PM   #189
peterzs
promoted bloke!

peterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to behold
Good news that you are still pushing the limits.

Sounds intriguing, suspension upgrade.
Old 17-04-13, 01:38 PM   #190
p_b82
Site Supporter

So a little update......

I picked up (read paid for and they are at matt's workshop ) a set of Leda custom made suspension from a car that was being broken by rally_matt - there were only two sets ever made, the set i now own and a set that Ralph bought. Matt thinks the set Ralph had has vanished or some-one does not know what they have on the car

finally arranged to pick up the brembodge setup from Paul this Saturday - as to when i fit it - will be another question i had best not answer but hopefully not long....

And some minor progress on the turbo front... the hybrid might be going though.....

as they say watch this space....
Dieselpowered
AMW Motorsports