theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > Technical Area > Build Projects

Old 24-02-14, 02:46 PM   #221
peterzs
promoted bloke!

peterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to behold
Smile

Good luck with it, hope you find a suitable Turbo.

Old 12-06-14, 12:29 PM   #222
p_b82
Site Supporter

p_b82 is a jewel in the roughp_b82 is a jewel in the roughp_b82 is a jewel in the rough
I know things have been quiet for a long time but I am pretty sure that I have decided on the route I want to go, and so now it is working out the best approach.

I am going to fit a GTB2056 family turbo, as I like the fact they start to generate decent boost at low rpm's and should be able to top out at 200bhp (maybe a fraction more) on the Lseries.

My challenge, has been which one to go for the options are below:

VAG units - these can fit with a bit of clocking (as well as a vaccum WG swap - on all turbo's i have found in fairness) and an adaptor to the existing manifold. but they are the most expensive to get your hands on on ebay or new it seems. they have been tried and tested in the VAG cars and give good results so is not so much of an unknown.

Volvo units - these have the added 'bonus' of being water cooled, so while not really a huge factor to consider on the derv, a belt and braces approach should it get tracked a and running sustained boost for longer than normal under road driving conditions. It will most likely need to have have a custom manifold to make it fit. they can be had cheaply enough on ebay, that a second hand one and a rebuild would be less than a VAG unit. but the manifold costs would bump it over I think.

Merc units - not really spent too much time looking at them in detail, but same as above for the volvo - but not water cooled, and a bit pricier to get on ebay.

control wont be done through the Arduino route, as have an agreement for one of Dakta's box of tricks - which version is not specified as yet, but the basic one will do the same as the arduino, and means I dont have to build it myself. which is a bonus if you have seen my soldering (in)ability - it is functional, but not pretty!

I'm looking to get the ball rolling with this fairly quickly, but have some difficulties to work out regarding any fabrication and fitting, so most likely this will take longer than planned, but hopefully not too late.

I will run it on the existing map and injectors I have fitted for now, and then most likely swap out for some 200TDI hybrids that Phil spec'd in his thread and get it mapped to suit them.

the additional flow they have will hopefully remove any lag issues as a result of my current setup.

It will also show just how tidy we can make the curves with a fairly decent, before and after approach on the Dyno.

so there you have it - hopefully some more progress to follow in not too long a time frame
Dieselpowered
Fitting Custom Hybrid Turbo (1856GTBv) & controller; Remap, swirlpot, lift pump
AMW Motorsports
Custom exhaust manifold & downpipe
p_b82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-14, 12:31 PM   #223
peterzs
promoted bloke!

peterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to behold
Smile

Sound interesting, good luck with it.
Old 18-06-14, 07:13 PM   #224
ZS Phil

ZS Phil has a spectacular aura aboutZS Phil has a spectacular aura about
Just seen this! The plans sound good, can't wait to see the results.

Just out of interest which vag specifically are you looking at taking the GTB from?
Old 19-06-14, 08:42 AM   #225
p_b82
Site Supporter

p_b82 is a jewel in the roughp_b82 is a jewel in the roughp_b82 is a jewel in the rough
it is anything that has the 3.0 fitted that uses it as I understand it (but got part numbers etc from darkside's site) - still trying to decide on the budget to get new or go second hand and rebuild.

Lots of cowboys out there, and still deciding on the manifold or not... no-one has changed the exhaust side, and I wonder what gains can be had right there.... but they are not cheap for one off's
Dieselpowered
AMW Motorsports
Old 25-06-14, 11:00 AM   #226
ZS Phil

ZS Phil has a spectacular aura aboutZS Phil has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by p_b82 View Post
it is anything that has the 3.0 fitted that uses it as I understand it (but got part numbers etc from darkside's site) - still trying to decide on the budget to get new or go second hand and rebuild.

Lots of cowboys out there, and still deciding on the manifold or not... no-one has changed the exhaust side, and I wonder what gains can be had right there.... but they are not cheap for one off's
Sounds good to me. Probably the route I'd be going down if I was to take mine to the next level but probably a bit far considering its my daily driver.

I'd still include an external gate as a safety measure, shouldn't be too much bother especially if you are going custom on the manifold. Was thinking it might be possible to get a darkside VW manifold welded up to some custom plates to bolt to the L series head. Would be pretty much a bolt on job then just depends on the spacing on the pipes and if they match the exhaust ports. You'll need deep pockets though!
Old 25-06-14, 09:43 PM   #227
p_b82
Site Supporter

Not sure about space, and they are too costly to buy on the off chance if you ask me...

So would rather get it done by some-one - doing a job right once and all that.

just need to get some time/money cobbled together to do it. both are proving a bit of a challenge right now though.
Dieselpowered
AMW Motorsports
Old 17-07-14, 09:53 AM   #228
p_b82
Site Supporter

So the news that I know you all have been waiting for I have decided on a turbo and ordered it.

It is a GTB1856VK hybrid designed/spec'd for the vag 1.9TDI engines that share similar fuel pumps to the L series, but do flow more top end than us for some reason.

once all mapped up and new injectors, it should crack the 200bhp barrier with a little spare overheads. but until then, will mean I can use the car without blowing the HG... which is an improvement in my book over anything!

Will be fitting it with a custom manifold rather than an adaptor plate, and finally sorting the airbox side of things out as well, as the intake will not be a direct fit.

Work is currently scheduled for Sept, so I dont have long to get all the pieces together!

Oh and didn't pick the 2056, as could not find one I wanted to use!
Dieselpowered
AMW Motorsports
Old 17-07-14, 05:11 PM   #229
peterzs
promoted bloke!

Wait to see the results with interest, well done.
Old 05-08-14, 08:21 AM   #230
p_b82
Site Supporter

Turbo has been built and will be shipped to me on monday due to being at Bloodstock over the weekend.

Sept fitting still slated, with OCt/Nov/Dec used for injector upgrade and then mapping tweaks, to see what this unit can generate without blowing itself up!
Dieselpowered
AMW Motorsports