theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > theMGZS.co.uk > General Discussion

Old 01-12-13, 02:54 PM   #1
Jay-ZS+
Site Supporter

Jay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of light
Wheres my oil gone?!

The car was making some weird sounds this morning on the way to work when I got there checked the oil just to see and it appeared empty. Anyway before leaving work I checked again and it appeared full. Drove home and rechecked it 10mins after stoppping and was empty again.

Realise that most of it will be floating around the engine but should be some in the slump all the time, definitely 10mins after stopping.

I'm thinking filter needs changing as didn't get round to it over summer so its overdue.

2012 BMW 320d Sport
Jay-ZS+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-13, 03:15 PM   #2
petet16
Technical Expert R.I.P.

petet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to behold
I wouldn't be too bothered about the level, if it's showing between min and max after the oil has drained back to the sump that's good, the weird noises would bother me more.

R.I.P. Peter David Scott 18.07.59 to 21.11.16
Will be missed by us all but we will always remember you.

petet16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-13, 03:18 PM   #3
petet16
Technical Expert R.I.P.

petet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to behold
Is the oil light going out ok

Old 01-12-13, 03:31 PM   #4
Jay-ZS+
Site Supporter

Jay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of light
Yer the oil light goes out on start up. But when stopping surely there should be something on the dipstick. It was bone dry 5-10mins after I'd arrived home, drive back from work probably 15mins.

Couldnt hear the noises on the way home. But was definatley something up this morning as the engine started up there was almost a rattling sound along with a tappy sound.

The engine has always had a bad tappet sound but this was an additional tap, then when I stopped and looked under the engine there was a sort of suction of air sound from around the plenum. Almost as if there was an air leak but couldnt locate anything up.

Added to that got a parking ticket from UKPC. So got to find out what i need to do to tell them to stick it

2012 BMW 320d Sport
Old 01-12-13, 03:42 PM   #5
Skillen

Skillen is a jewel in the roughSkillen is a jewel in the roughSkillen is a jewel in the roughSkillen is a jewel in the rough
Mine has dropped oil and coolant and I think it's the oil cooler doing it as I see coolant drops from it (but no oil(dunno where that is going))
Check there?
Skillen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-13, 03:49 PM   #6
petet16
Technical Expert R.I.P.

The oil thing doesn't sound normal, I would expect the level to return to normal much quicker than 10 to 15 mins, does the water in the expansion tank look ok for colour, and free of any contamination.

Not sure about the parking ticket the law was as I understood it was that unless it was issued by the council or the the five-o you could ignore them.

Old 01-12-13, 04:04 PM   #7
Jay-ZS+
Site Supporter

Yer coolants fine, normal pink colour. No mayo under oil cap. I wondered if the filter was clogged and not letting the oil return to the slump but surely then the oil pressure light would come on??!

2012 BMW 320d Sport
Old 01-12-13, 05:10 PM   #8
BUCKYDEVIL

BUCKYDEVIL has much to be proud ofBUCKYDEVIL has much to be proud ofBUCKYDEVIL has much to be proud ofBUCKYDEVIL has much to be proud ofBUCKYDEVIL has much to be proud ofBUCKYDEVIL has much to be proud ofBUCKYDEVIL has much to be proud ofBUCKYDEVIL has much to be proud ofBUCKYDEVIL has much to be proud ofBUCKYDEVIL has much to be proud ofBUCKYDEVIL has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by petet16 View Post

Not sure about the parking ticket the law was as I understood it was that unless it was issued by the council or the the five-o you could ignore them.
Yip exactly Right- best thing to do is ignore all contact made by them.
BUCKYDEVIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-13, 05:15 PM   #9
Jay-ZS+
Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUCKYDEVIL View Post
Yip exactly Right- best thing to do is ignore all contact made by them.
Apparently now you shouldn't the advice changed this year. Depends what they send you to how you respond just reading up on it now.

2012 BMW 320d Sport
Old 01-12-13, 05:38 PM   #10
talkingcars

talkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay-ZS+ View Post
Added to that got a parking ticket from UKPC. So got to find out what i need to do to tell them to stick it
Were you on the public highway?
Were you in a council car park?
Is it a fine or a charge?

You pay a fine, you ignore a charge.