theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > theMGZS.co.uk > General Discussion

Old 08-04-15, 09:19 PM   #1
Supercharged_Z
KV6 Supercharged

Supercharged_Z is just really niceSupercharged_Z is just really niceSupercharged_Z is just really niceSupercharged_Z is just really niceSupercharged_Z is just really nice
RIP Rover (MGR) 10 years

Hey all

Surprised there wasn't more posts on this, 10 years to the day (yest) rover went pop.

I remember it very well, I was working for dunham and haines Rover MG in Luton as a parts adviser, I was young and the job suited me well as i was an enthusiast so i really tried. It was a small parts department with only me and the parts manager who also took car of warranty input, so he was gone for 50% plus of the time. I ran that little back room myself making good margin, when i joined parts turnover was around 28k a month at 22% margin, when i left it was 38k a month at 33% margin, just shows what can be done .... the mark up was 30% from Rover so that was RRP. I used to bump prices up where i could etc.....

The day rover went to the wall I was on annual leave but i went in as I had no idea what to expect or what it meant, it was the weirdest feeling.

3 Months later the dealership closed we were all made redundant or moved on within the motor group to other dealers and the rest is history.

10 years flys

Ross

Last edited by Supercharged_Z; 08-04-15 at 09:21 PM.
Supercharged_Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-15, 09:20 PM   #2
Stephen
Yeah defo back now...

Stephen will become famous soon enough
Its been a quick 10 sad years!! 10 Years ago my Aurora was sitting in the sales centre!

Moonshine ZS 180
Glacier ZS 180
Twilight ZT 190 SE
Sunspot ZT-T 180
Dark Fantasy 75 Tourer
Blue MG5 EV
Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-15, 09:33 PM   #3
stamford
Site Owner

stamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud of
Come to think of it yes! It's nearly 10 years since I purchased my ZS. Very sad when you think back.
Old 08-04-15, 10:13 PM   #4
MG ZS STE
Site Supporter

MG ZS STE is just really niceMG ZS STE is just really niceMG ZS STE is just really niceMG ZS STE is just really niceMG ZS STE is just really nice
MGR, but the legacy lives on.
Old 09-04-15, 03:10 PM   #5
Gott

Gott is on a distinguished road
I was in Year 5 at Primary School.

I didn't really understand but I do remember being sat around the TV with my Dad and Grandad as they shared their disgust to the end of British Motoring.
Gott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-15, 04:48 PM   #6
grimmy
its ginger its phenomenal

grimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud of
If it hadn't went belly up I would never have been able to afford my mk2 180 and would probably have moved on long ago as my mk1 120 would have been long dead.silver linings and all that.it was a still a sad day. right enough.
R.I.P mg/rover.
Old 09-04-15, 05:02 PM   #7
M17TT180

M17TT180 is a jewel in the roughM17TT180 is a jewel in the roughM17TT180 is a jewel in the roughM17TT180 is a jewel in the rough
I passed my test the same year as MGRover died

Lots of second- hand parts click HERE
Project Typhoon
M17TT180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-15, 08:27 PM   #8
daytona365

daytona365 is a jewel in the roughdaytona365 is a jewel in the roughdaytona365 is a jewel in the rough
We had a MGR dealership open opposite my garage, I remember it had a TY mk2 in the showroom, I asked the salesmanager to keep an ear out for a TY mk1......three weeks later it shut.............
daytona365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-15, 08:53 PM   #9
BRMFUN

BRMFUN is on a distinguished road
A bit late, but very sad, I remember all the family and workers crying on a road run past the factory just after it closed, and ironically the Police keeping us in check with their Volvos and BWMs (I can't bring myself to put those letters in the correct order as they rapped and pillaged MGR). Gone but not forgotten!
MG ZTT 135
MGB GT 1973 original automatic
BRMFUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-15, 09:36 PM   #10
peterzs
promoted bloke!

peterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to behold
I still remember the Phoenix Four, promises of a fighting fund for the workers came to zilch, while they made millions and by the sound of it are still reeling the money in.

The “Phoenix Four” agreed to being disqualified as directors following a Government investigation that found they had extracted more than £42m in pay and pensions in the five years they ran the car maker. Local campaigners in Birmingham have called for them to give the MGR Capital money to former workers.

All the story. ---------------- http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/n...n-1m-each.html

Such a shame that it couldnt be turned round.

Last edited by peterzs; 09-04-15 at 09:38 PM.
peterzs is offline   Reply With Quote