theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > theMGZS.co.uk > General Discussion

Old 10-01-14, 05:41 PM   #11
talkingcars

talkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZRed View Post
BCU is a thing of voodoo. Not all features can be unlocked. For example, a non electric window BCU cannot be reprogrammed by any aftermarket diagnostic machine - including T4 - to allow electric windows to be fitted.
I thought only the drivers window went through the BCU as it has the 1 shot facility.
Old 10-01-14, 05:58 PM   #12
talkingcars

talkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatmg! View Post
snip.......Also, my daily driver is a Golf and I have a system called VCDS for that, which allows me to recode the ECU and add features such as comfort indicating etc.

Does the ZS have 2 ECUs and is it possible to change the coding to add new features?

Paul.
The mk1 ZS is very simple, it has an engine ECU, ABS ECU, SRS ECU and an alarm ECU which is basically the same design as used on the early 90's Rovers.

The Mk2 replaced the Alarm ECU with a more complicated BCU which has all the alarm related functions, the drivers window, front fogs, heated rear window. All these are fitted to the 180 as standard so no problem, on models with no front fogs these can be turned on with a compatible machine -
the main one is known as T4 but there are earlier versions, none are cheap to buy for personal use, many Land Rover garages have them if you can't find an equipped MG/Rover garage.

There is an alternative from Black Box Solutions who provide a number of alternatives, you can build a package that covers your model of MGR and your engine - https://blackbox-solutions.com/shop/

One feature that can be changed with access to the BCU is the speed locking.

The engine ECU can be remapped, Matt Reidy in Yovil is the man for this.

All petrol ZS's are OBD2 compliant (only mk2 for the diesel from 2004). This means you can check engine management warning codes and with a suitable reader access the data from the engine sensors, I don't think any of the other control units can be accessed with an OBD2 scanner.
Old 10-01-14, 06:02 PM   #13
talkingcars

almost forgot - other features such as heated seats are not controlled through the BCU so are plug and play.
Old 10-01-14, 06:42 PM   #14
Greatmg!

Greatmg! is on a distinguished road
Hello 'talkingcars'!

Thanks, that is a great post and extremely useful!

Paul.
Greatmg! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-14, 07:48 AM   #15
ZS
IT Administrator

ZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatmg! View Post
I think I'm starting to get the message that the MG isn't quite as user friendly as my other car!
You should try Volvo!!

My 1999 1.9D S40 is not ODBII compliant, does not work with the Volvo Vadis or DiCE systems and so far noone can tell me how to read the ECU and clear a few faults!! (one of which is an MOT failure... and even the MOT garage cannot clear it)

I love it when people call me at 3 AM. "Hey, you asleep?" "No, I'm skydiving."

http://www.bexairbrushing.co.uk
ZS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-14, 08:43 AM   #16
Maxfly
Site Ambassador

Maxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to all
As yours is a 180, I can't think of anything obvious that would need activating. Everything should be plug and play....
Rear electric windows
Reversing sensors
TM clock even though it has no use other than as a clock now
Heated seats provided you fit the relays etc as previously said

Can't think of what else you can fit that isn't standard?!?
Old 23-01-14, 04:20 PM   #17
Captain Slow

Captain Slow is on a distinguished road
Paul, that car won't have a BCU as it's a Mk1, so you won't be able to "switch on" any additional electrical functions.
Old 23-01-14, 05:12 PM   #18
talkingcars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post
Paul, that car won't have a BCU as it's a Mk1, so you won't be able to "switch on" any additional electrical functions.
Not quite correct - you wont NEED to "switch on" any additional electrical functions, as we have already said, they are plug and play on the mk1.