theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > theMGZS.co.uk > General Discussion

Old 01-02-11, 06:09 PM   #1
lawrence-zs180

lawrence-zs180 is on a distinguished road
Looking into Turboing a KV6

Some of you may have seen that Im looking into turboing a KV6 and I have been doing a fair bit of homework on the idea.
Its looking like I would be running a T25 or poss a T28 at 4-5psi with double decomp plates which would hopefully give me between 230-240bhp whilst keeping the standard internals.
I would keep the normal injectors but run a uprated fuel pressure reg and I'm hoping the standard fuel pump would cope.. I'm assuming they didn't change the pump for the supercharged version?
It would have a fmic in the space between the bumper and I would run the piping the same way as the t16's with fmic so I keep the engine bay as free from extra bits as poss, battery would go to the boot so I could lose that to.
Biggest issue's are finding somewhere to put the turbo and what to do about the inlet manifold... and I think I might have found a solution to the exhaust and turbo fitting.
A few yank companys do a turbo exhaust kit for the honda accord which has the same manifold bolt arrangement as the kv6 so im getting the full specs sent over and with it branching off right out of the front bank it might fit and save a hell of alot of hassle and expense.
The inlet manifold is going to be a issue because if I gutt a knackered normal manifold I will still have to blank off the vis and some other parts and I'm not sure if it will be good enough to take the extra pressure.
Is there another rover v6 manifold or is the metal one off the old rover v6 the only one?
I will have to get a custom ecu as well.. I have always been pointed towards emerald do you guys use one thats poss better suited??

Im on the hunt for a cheap 180 at the min so im not going to start a project thread till I have one, this thread is mainly about hearing your thoughts and ideas etc on the idea...
cheers guys
Old 01-02-11, 06:27 PM   #2
peterzs
promoted bloke!

peterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to behold
Smile

Have you seen Dan's, (carmadbaker) build thread, know its not a V6 but had the same problems to overcome.

Sounds fun.
Old 01-02-11, 06:27 PM   #3
big_wasa

big_wasa has a spectacular aura aboutbig_wasa has a spectacular aura about
Ive nearly finished my other toy project and am thinking of doing a turbo mk2 zed.

I still think the way forward is a four pot. Like the vag 20v turbo
big_wasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-11, 06:27 PM   #4
caled

caled is just really nicecaled is just really nicecaled is just really nicecaled is just really nicecaled is just really nice
Sounds like a fun idea, but curious as to why you've chosen to try and turbo charge the KV6?
Pushing boundaries?
Old 01-02-11, 06:28 PM   #5
Jay-ZS+
Site Supporter

Jay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of light
A twin turbo V6 would be epic but not sure the Kv6 is the best one to use.

Would be awsome if you can pull it off lawrence!!

2012 BMW 320d Sport
Jay-ZS+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-11, 06:35 PM   #6
Ritchy
technically an expertish

Ritchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to all
think main issue people bought up in the past was where to mount the turbo, ver the gearbox was one option and the other was in the passenger footwell
i think if your chasing power then Dan's car is the way to go, the best turbo build ive ever seen in any of the MG cars

for that could get a spares repairs zs, and a rover 420 for parts and rebuild the engine ect with aftermarket ecu and obviosly turbo manifolds turbo ect

but if you re going kv6 turbo il be very keen to see it built! sounds a cracking project
Old 01-02-11, 06:38 PM   #7
OllieZS

OllieZS is on a distinguished road
Fantastic idea!

You should definetly pursue it, this is something I have been planning to start researching myself, I personally would be looking into the twin turbo setup.

Im still a way off this myself as im sorting the chassis and brakes first!
But go for it!
OllieZS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-11, 06:40 PM   #8
rakester

rakester is on a distinguished road
This would be sweet but I hope you have deep deep pockets
rakester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-11, 06:42 PM   #9
fastmike

fastmike is on a distinguished road
To get the kind of power your after 240/260 I suspect you,l need a bigger turbo than a T28..and a lower (8.5-1) compression ratio.....an uprated fuel pump will deffenatley be needed along with bigger injectors.... not forgetting a knock sensor and an aftermarket ECU to keep the thing running.
BUT..... before even getting that far ...... I doubt theres enough room under the ZS bonnet for a KV6 and all the pipework for the induction/intercooler
fastmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-11, 06:55 PM   #10
big_wasa

big_wasa has a spectacular aura aboutbig_wasa has a spectacular aura about
What about running a single turbo as a back box. There has been a few articals in the car mags about it.
big_wasa is offline   Reply With Quote