AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > theMGZS.co.uk > General Discussion

Old 01-02-11, 06:56 PM   #11
rakester

rakester is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastmike View Post
To get the kind of power your after 240/260 I suspect you,l need a bigger turbo than a T28..and a lower (8.5-1) compression ratio.....an uprated fuel pump will deffenatley be needed along with bigger injectors.... not forgetting a knock sensor and an aftermarket ECU to keep the thing running.
BUT..... before even getting that far ...... I doubt theres enough room under the ZS bonnet for a KV6 and all the pipework for the induction/intercooler
Fuel pump won't need upgrading, people use 1.2 k series fuel pumps (albeit they are the same across the range anyway) on t16 cars up to 300bhp with no problems.

T28 easily enough for 240-260

Injectors also probably fine for 240-260 however I don't know much about standard KV6 injectors.
rakester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-11, 07:00 PM   #12
Ritchy
technically an expertish

Ritchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by big_wasa View Post
What about running a single turbo as a back box. There has been a few articals in the car mags about it.
you want a turbo fairly close to the manifold for maximum pressure
Old 01-02-11, 07:00 PM   #13
lawrence-zs180

lawrence-zs180 is on a distinguished road
Why am I trying it... because noone has managed to do it, everyone seems to be doing t16 conversions, and I want to try my hand at it but like I said there is still more homework to be done before I take the plunge.
Its gonna be a big enough pita to fit one turbo so a tt 180 is looking like its almost impossible haha.
This would happen over a year or so... or prob even longer due to cost etc.
Dan's does look epic and I cant wait to see it but its that V6 noise with a turbo im hunting for haha.
Old 01-02-11, 07:01 PM   #14
rakester

I know nothing about V6 engines either but due to there design I'd imagine a twin turbo setup would be easier anyway than a single turbo setup.

But yup go for it, I'm the first to admit I went T16 as it's the easiest option
Old 01-02-11, 07:02 PM   #15
Ritchy
technically an expertish

Ritchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to all
hats off to you mate!
Old 01-02-11, 07:04 PM   #16
Jay-ZS+
Site Supporter

Jay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by rakester View Post
Injectors also probably fine for 240-260 however I don't know much about standard KV6 injectors.
Believe Ross had the injectors flow tested and they were good for 300bhp,

Be worth speaking to Ross and George to find out the standard components that are the weak points with the KV6

2012 BMW 320d Sport
Jay-ZS+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-11, 07:05 PM   #17
lawrence-zs180

Remote turbos.... just as much hassle because of the extra piping and the armour you have to put round the turbo to protect it from stones etc and you end up with less psi.

Gonna give george a call/pm at some point and have a chat... or maybe go and see him when the missis goes to see her family.
Old 01-02-11, 07:10 PM   #18
rakester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay-ZS+ View Post
Believe Ross had the injectors flow tested and they were good for 300bhp,

Be worth speaking to Ross and George to find out the standard components that are the weak points with the KV6
Ah sweet, cool info

I'd think most components are good for 240-260, it's a well known fact that the ZS opens up well to a couple of breathing mods. The reason it was the 180 and not the 190 as it would have been stepping on the ZT 190's shoes.

So presuming the ZS started off as 190bhp, a 50-70bhp increase isn't massive figures to be pushing but getting on the brink of having to upgrade a lot of other components.

A couple of small fast spooling turbo's would be ideal for this application. However once it's up and running you can have the potential to go utterly mad on it if you desire and can upgrade others components and push big figures (forged pistons/rods, uprated head bolts, bigger turbo's etc). I think without a doubt you will need an aftermarket management system anyway, again ECU's are still very foreign to me.
Old 01-02-11, 07:17 PM   #19
coreygraham180
Lean, Mean and Green

coreygraham180 will become famous soon enough
I am very interested in this as it looks a very good idea and maby open the gates to future owners looking to do the same and I can imagine the v6 the the turbo wooooooosh lol

Quote:
Speeding has never killed anyone.........suddenly becoming stationary kills you.....Quickly
2010 Forza 3 OBTCC Table 2 Champion
coreygraham180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-11, 07:21 PM   #20
lawrence-zs180

Yea deff need a new ecu... even a piggyback might struggle with it.
Just been having a caht with Drew and he said the decomp plate would only be needed if I was after 10-12 psi but with a rebuild i could have 5psi with no issues.
I would seem about right that the internals of the 180 where good for 260bhp because of the supercharged version and I dont think they would have changed loads just to add a supercharger.
If there was room two t3 turbos would be epic but even with the battery and air box removed its still gonna be tight as fudge in there... gonna mean half the mod out if something daft fails in the engine bay as well haha.