AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > theMGZS.co.uk > General Discussion

Old 19-11-14, 03:36 PM   #1
ZS Phil

ZS Phil has a spectacular aura aboutZS Phil has a spectacular aura about
Sorry...

... for the boring question.

So, suppose I was to buy another car which I plan to keep SORN. What is the best way to get it home legally in terms of tax?

I have read all the info online and it appears that to be completely above board I would have to buy the car, call the DVLA and tax it, drive it home and then declare it SORN as soon as I get back in the hope I get a tax refund.

My questions are:

If I do this, how much of the tax am I likely to get back? Do they take a cut or have an administrative type charge?

Seems a bit overkill for just one journey, was hoping somebody who knows a bit more about the new rules could suggest a simpler way of doing it legally.

Muchas gracias.
Old 19-11-14, 03:50 PM   #2
fastmike

fastmike is on a distinguished road
You could pay to have it transported to save all the agro
Old 19-11-14, 04:04 PM   #3
ZS
IT Administrator

ZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of light
How far is the journey?

Do you have breakdown cover? (How good is it?)

Is there MOT on the Car?

I love it when people call me at 3 AM. "Hey, you asleep?" "No, I'm skydiving."

http://www.bexairbrushing.co.uk
ZS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-14, 04:16 PM   #4
Dan1971
Site Ambassador

Dan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud of
You only get a return on the full months of tax left - not days.

Get the seller to come round to yours to look at it - then tell them to leave it and drop them back home.
Dan1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-14, 05:14 PM   #5
ZS Phil

ZS Phil has a spectacular aura aboutZS Phil has a spectacular aura about
Thanks for the replies guys, it really is a mine field out there with all the different rules.

The car is currently taxed and MOT'd however un-insured so not really an option for the owner to drive it round, plus it would be a 300 mile round trip!

The other option was to "borrow" the car with the owners consent and then do the deal when I had test driven the car home. I would have just left the value of the car with the owner in return for him letting me borrow it...
I asked the lady at the DVLA and unfortunately she "couldn't comment" however she did repeat the statement that I only have to tax or SORN it once the deal has been done.
Technically this could be legal but probably skating on thin ice should something happen.

Looks like I'm going to have to tax it myself then fill in a V890 SORN form as soon as I get home in order to get the refund (minus a month as Dan said).

It's just clicked... this new "environmentally friendly" no tax disc scheme is really just a way of gaining an extra month of tax out of people every time a car changes hands... clever.

Right, I'm off to pint out all the "environmentally friendly" paper forms which I will have to send to the DVLA to comply with their anti-paper campaign!

Last edited by ZS Phil; 19-11-14 at 05:16 PM.
ZS Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-14, 05:28 PM   #6
Mark S

Mark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to all
the car will need to be insured, your insurance only covers you to drive already 'insured' cars, unless you have a traders policy?
Mark S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-14, 05:29 PM   #7
shycho

shycho is a jewel in the roughshycho is a jewel in the roughshycho is a jewel in the roughshycho is a jewel in the rough
My answer would be, the DVLA won't know it has changed hands until a few days later when they receive the v5.

So if the seller posts the v5 off the same day you've still got time to get it home and then SORN it with the new owners slip before it hits the DVLA offices.

Obviously i'm not sure what Mr Plod would think of this if he stopped you on the way home, but the vehicle would still technically be taxed in the eyes of the DVLA computers.
shycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-14, 05:43 PM   #8
Cally180

Cally180 is on a distinguished road
Put a later date on the logbook when signing the papers, day or two later, leave the money keep it taxed and insured until home then let him know your home and get him to send off the book.

I done that when selling my rx8 I had, kept in insured and taxed for the boy to get home and then cancelled everything the next day
Cally180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-14, 05:58 PM   #9
talkingcars

talkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cally180 View Post
Put a later date on the logbook when signing the papers, day or two later, leave the money keep it taxed and insured until home then let him know your home and get him to send off the book.

I done that when selling my rx8 I had, kept in insured and taxed for the boy to get home and then cancelled everything the next day
This is what I'd do

except I don't have a RX8.
Old 19-11-14, 06:12 PM   #10
mattyprice4004

mattyprice4004 has a spectacular aura aboutmattyprice4004 has a spectacular aura about
Obviously I can't talk from a professional point of view, but I may or may not agree the 'leave cash with the seller while test driving the car' option sounds quite plausible.
mattyprice4004 is offline   Reply With Quote