theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > theMGZS.co.uk > General Discussion

Old 14-10-08, 07:00 PM   #11
skyblueads

skyblueads is on a distinguished road
I'm very happy with it, it's almost like having a new car! Does anyone know if the headlight adjuster has to work to pass the MOT? If anyone's got any advice, that'd be great!

1973 MG BGT
2005 MG ZS 120+
skyblueads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-08, 07:12 PM   #12
Andyf

Andyf is on a distinguished road
Don't think it does, it checks the lights work and the aim is correct. They don't check the self levelling on HIDs so I doubt they'd check the manual adjustment, plus not all cars have them so it would be a bit harsh to fail a car that did but wasn't working.
Old 14-10-08, 09:02 PM   #13
stamford
Site Owner

stamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud of
Suits it well, bet you are pleased.
Old 15-10-08, 08:16 AM   #14
ZS
IT Administrator

ZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblueads1 View Post
I'm very happy with it, it's almost like having a new car! Does anyone know if the headlight adjuster has to work to pass the MOT? If anyone's got any advice, that'd be great!
I've done the conversion and my headlight adjusters work!!

Basically they are reversed, this is why they don't work currently... So what you need to do is, using a sharp Stanley knife or similar, carefully remove the "extrusions" on the headlight connector (not wiring loom - your basically making the plastic flat) then file down to a smooth finish and push the wiring loom on 180 degrees from normal, your adjusters will then work! - Does that make sense??

Note, the connector no longer "clips" into place, but mine have never come off! - To make it easier for you the units twist then pull off at an angle, just remember if you put them back again to ensure they clip into place before twisting them back into the headlight unit!

However, my car passed the mot before I fixed them!

Good Luck finding the brackets, according to the dealer network I got the last two in existance and they are not making any more!! (at least thats what they said!)

If you want a hand I'm happy to share my knowledge so either pop over for a beer/coffee/coke/whatever or PM/Post and I'll help out

I love it when people call me at 3 AM. "Hey, you asleep?" "No, I'm skydiving."

http://www.bexairbrushing.co.uk

Last edited by ZS; 15-10-08 at 08:24 AM.
ZS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-08, 08:23 AM   #15
ZS
IT Administrator

ZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyf View Post
Don't think it does, it checks the lights work and the aim is correct. They don't check the self levelling on HIDs so I doubt they'd check the manual adjustment, plus not all cars have them so it would be a bit harsh to fail a car that did but wasn't working.
They fail a car that has front fogs that are not working... not all cars have front fogs...

Oh and to add insult to injury My Land Rover passed its MOT with no reverse lights at all - Also doesn't have self cancelling indicators or fog lights and still passed with flying colours!

I love it when people call me at 3 AM. "Hey, you asleep?" "No, I'm skydiving."

http://www.bexairbrushing.co.uk
ZS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-08, 09:12 AM   #16
Phate

Phate is an unknown quantity at this point
See, it's very very tempting to do this. BUT where the front of my car is out of alignment then I'm worried it'll just look pap

Congrats tho!
Old 15-10-08, 05:21 PM   #17
Andyf

Andyf is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZS View Post
They fail a car that has front fogs that are not working... not all cars have front fogs...

Oh and to add insult to injury My Land Rover passed its MOT with no reverse lights at all - Also doesn't have self cancelling indicators or fog lights and still passed with flying colours!
They don't, mine has been through 2 MOT's now with my front fogs not working! They are not obligatory lights so don't have to work, you can't get fined for them not working either.
I retro fitted my front fogs and knew the ecu had to be re done to 'tell' the car it had the fog lights. I didn't want to pay for this so knew they wouldn't work so I researched front fogs and MOT's before I did it.

I take your your point though, not all cars have a high level brake light but if it is there it has to work but I can't see this applying to headlight adjusters.
Old 15-10-08, 05:24 PM   #18
grimmy

car looks nice mate,good job
Old 15-10-08, 09:43 PM   #19
talkingcars

talkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to behold
Headlights only have to be correctly adjusted, reverse lights if fitted have to conform to certain regulations, high level brake lights have to be fitted to cars after about 1998 IIRC.
Old 16-10-08, 07:10 PM   #20
Gazza

Gazza is on a distinguished road
Looking very nice mate

Dec07-Jan08 Feb08-Sep10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxxed_Ross View Post
So moral of the story kids, always drive something bigger than the other morons on the road
Gazza is offline   Reply With Quote