theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > theMGZS.co.uk > General Discussion

Old 09-11-14, 07:22 PM   #1
caled

caled is just really nicecaled is just really nicecaled is just really nicecaled is just really nicecaled is just really nice
Coming up to insurance time again...

That festive time of year is nearly on me again, the one where I get to fork out a load of cash to the insurance broker.

Only this year, I'm looking at buying a second car to use for commuting as I've bought a house much further from work than I was previously (I've escaped to the country!), and the commute from that distance in the ZS was averaging a tank per week, ~250 miles (urban rush hour traffic).

So, I've been looking at economical diesels , particularly ropey old Saab 9-3 1.9 TiDs, but with my no claims tied up on the ZS, the insurance policies were coming out at >£800. "Hm", I thought, "thats a lot of petrol."

Then I thought, as the ZS is now 10 years old (04 plate mk2), "I wonder if this qualifies for a classic policy?". Gave Peter Best a call, and yes, it does! (just!). For a 5000 mile, SD&P (i.e. no commuting) policy, they quoted me £106!. A hundred and six quid! Best bit, as classic policies don't generate or require no claims, it frees up my NCD to use on the policy for the commuter car, which has halved the insurance quotes I'm getting for that. Result!

Moral of the story, if your ZS is only doing a few thousand miles a year (5000 miles is the maximum I could get on the policy), it might be worth your while to investigate a classic policy for our (regrettably ageing) cars.
Old 09-11-14, 08:33 PM   #2
peterzs
promoted bloke!

peterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to behold
Smile

Well done saved a few quid and kept the ZS!!!

Old 09-11-14, 08:48 PM   #3
top_man_eldo

top_man_eldo is a jewel in the roughtop_man_eldo is a jewel in the roughtop_man_eldo is a jewel in the rough
I'm 30 with 9 years NCB and my insurance with Aviva is £356 a year. That is fully comp', 10k miles a year and garaged. Mine is up for renewal, I just can't get it any lower! Alfa GTA was cheaper and that was four years ago!
top_man_eldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-14, 09:12 PM   #4
stamford
Site Owner

stamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud of
I posted the very same in the insurance thread. My modified 180 came in at £138, the limited 5k a year fitted in perfectly.
Old 09-11-14, 09:52 PM   #5
daytona365

daytona365 is a jewel in the roughdaytona365 is a jewel in the roughdaytona365 is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by stamford View Post
I posted the very same in the insurance thread. My modified 180 came in at £138, the limited 5k a year fitted in perfectly.

thats cos it never goes anywhere lol...
daytona365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-14, 07:07 AM   #6
stamford
Site Owner

stamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by daytona365 View Post
thats cos it never goes anywhere lol...
Exactly! I must admit this year it has been poor but only due to other things taking priority. The wife's MGF is due its time for some TLC before mine is readied for its MOT in the new year.
Old 10-11-14, 10:08 AM   #7
Maxfly
Site Ambassador

Maxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to all
Excellent, never thought about classic car policies. What are they like for mods?
Old 10-11-14, 10:45 AM   #8
stamford
Site Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxfly View Post
Excellent, never thought about classic car policies. What are they like for mods?
All mine were covered, remap, suspension, exhaust, induction, flywheel, wheels etc.

Also got breakdown included in the price.
Old 10-11-14, 07:02 PM   #9
caled

caled is just really nicecaled is just really nicecaled is just really nicecaled is just really nicecaled is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by stamford View Post
All mine were covered, remap, suspension, exhaust, induction, flywheel, wheels etc.

Also got breakdown included in the price.
Yup, stainless cat back declared.
Old 10-11-14, 08:03 PM   #10
Maxfly
Site Ambassador

Maxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to all
Cheers folks, will be getting a classic quote for mine then.