AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > theMGZS.co.uk > General Discussion

Old 19-01-11, 12:49 PM   #1
LouZRBabe

LouZRBabe is on a distinguished road
MPG ZS Diesel

Hi everyone,

Some of you might know me over on theMGZR.co.uk. Signed up on here because I am looking at getting a ZS. Obviously I have my ZR and also have a Fiesta as my daily runner which is getting to the point where I need to replace it. So what better time to grow my MG collection and get a ZS

I would love a MK2 but don't really have that much to spend on my daily runner so am looking at getting a MK1, I would be happy with a clean MK1. Not too fussed on engine either.
I know it's the same for everyone but I am spending a fortune in petrol at the moment, I do about 30-35 miles a day which will increase quite alot later this year when I go to college. To try and cut down on the fuel costs I am thinking about getting a diesel. I was wondering if anyone can tell me the MPG on a MK1 ZS Diesel? And a petrol actually.

Anything else I should know while hunting for a ZS would be great

Thanks
LouZRBabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-11, 12:53 PM   #2
stamford
Site Owner

stamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud of
Firstly diesels are becoming popular due to continual rising costs of fuel and thus becoming hard to source a good one and at a good price. The buyers guide may help a little. Any other questions, just fire away.

Guide in here, 3 parts iirc http://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=26

Last edited by stamford; 19-01-11 at 12:54 PM. Reason: added link
stamford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-11, 01:04 PM   #3
chrismyatt82

chrismyatt82 is an unknown quantity at this point
Best to check on Parkers...

Heres the link for the ZS hatch

http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/specs/...spx?model=1112

And the saloon

http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/specs/...spx?model=1113

Click on More info for the MPG

If you want more detail such as Urban, Extra Urban etc... just do a search on Autotrader for a car you want, then on the ad itself, it has tabs to check the Performance and Economy... should tell you urban, Extra Urban and Combined...

(Also the 0-60 times too hehe)
chrismyatt82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-11, 01:16 PM   #4
ZS
IT Administrator

ZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of light
Hey Lou

Hows things, did you ever get the rear screen filled in or do you still have the gromit in place of the wiper?

My bit of advice would be to stear clear of any Le Mans Green Diesel ZS's on a 52 plate... if you end up with my old one you'll regret it! lol other than that they are fantastic cars to own, what is your preference Hatch or Saloon?

I love it when people call me at 3 AM. "Hey, you asleep?" "No, I'm skydiving."

http://www.bexairbrushing.co.uk
ZS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-11, 01:59 PM   #5
LouZRBabe

LouZRBabe is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the excellent info already
I have been looking around recently and it does seem the diesel models are quite hard to come by, which is understandable. I don't mind travelling to get a decent one so that might help. Drove up to Birmingham from Cornwall to buy my ZR!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZS View Post
Hey Lou

Hows things, did you ever get the rear screen filled in or do you still have the gromit in place of the wiper?

My bit of advice would be to stear clear of any Le Mans Green Diesel ZS's on a 52 plate... if you end up with my old one you'll regret it! lol other than that they are fantastic cars to own, what is your preference Hatch or Saloon?
Hey you, I'm good thanks, you?

Nope not yet but the car is going into the bodyshop in the next couple of months to get a few things done ready for the show season so might just add that to the list!

I like Le Mans Green
Saloon or hatch but prefer a hatch, would still consider a saloon though
LouZRBabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-11, 02:10 PM   #6
chrismyatt82

chrismyatt82 is an unknown quantity at this point
My aim is to buy a Diesel MK2 ZS when my compo comes through for my whiplash when some idiot rear-ended me

Trouble is finding them!

And even if you do find one, you have to make sure its a good one
chrismyatt82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-11, 02:11 PM   #7
andys1981

andys1981 is a jewel in the roughandys1981 is a jewel in the roughandys1981 is a jewel in the rough
heh lou hope you can find a good one,get a saloon there nicer lol
andys1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-11, 02:12 PM   #8
ZS
IT Administrator

ZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by LouZRBabe View Post
Hey you, I'm good thanks, you?

Nope not yet but the car is going into the bodyshop in the next couple of months to get a few things done ready for the show season so might just add that to the list!

I like Le Mans Green
Saloon or hatch but prefer a hatch, would still consider a saloon though
Yeah I'm okay its been a while since the Wickstead event, thought you might have done the work by now

I like LeMans green as well... but my old ZS TDi really was a dog and everything that could go wrong went wrong with it! - however it is the only unreliable diesel I have found or heard of so far (which is a good thing)

I love it when people call me at 3 AM. "Hey, you asleep?" "No, I'm skydiving."

http://www.bexairbrushing.co.uk
ZS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-11, 02:31 PM   #9
peterzs
promoted bloke!

peterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to behold
Smile

Hi and , had my derv, Mk2 about 3 years, great cars, was getting around 50 mpg but after looking at more economy, its nearer 40 mpg but much more fun.

Mk 2's of all types suffer from soggy sounder, where water gets in to the sounder and fires off the alarm when it likes. Easy fix, look in search. Only trouble I've had was a sticking rear caliper which needed new rear disks and pads and a big hammer to free off the sliders.

Check the belts have been done, the MAF sensor seems the only other weak part on the derv, but there are cheaper replacements now.

Car should pull from 1500 in all gears as the turbo kicks in. Plenty of cheapish mods to make it go better.

I'd get another one, good laugh with all the 180 kit and the derv rattle.

Old 19-01-11, 02:34 PM   #10
roverdave81

roverdave81 is on a distinguished road
zs diesel

Hi ive had my mk2zs diesel for 2 month and get around 38/42 mpg round town and 48/52 on a long run that with a tunning box fitted air filter and boost set at 19psi but standard you will get 48/50 round town
roverdave81 is offline   Reply With Quote