theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > Technical Area > Build Projects

Old 29-04-16, 01:28 PM   #31
M.jenks

M.jenks is on a distinguished road
Right going to go over some of the stuff I have done already just want to add here that's it's not perfect I am not a mechanic the most I have done to a car before this one was my manifold replacement on a k series zs so here we go feel free to offer tips and tell me if it's crap

So started here with the fmic

I removed the crash rail cos my intercooler was bloody massive I know it's probably to big but swapped it for some old hairpins that where taking up space

Got it mounted thanks to come brackets I had in the garage and some odd bolts I found at the mother in laws

Cut the slam panel probably one of the most nervous things I have ever done

Cut the side out got it all tight and fitting nicely

Cut over side had it all fitted and test started the car it was perfect 1st time

Last edited by M.jenks; 29-04-16 at 01:31 PM.
M.jenks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-16, 01:45 PM   #32
M.jenks

So now where I am up to with the gt20

So thanks to ste Birch he managed to find a perfectly good gt2056s for me on eBay total cost of £130 which is a damn good saving for anyone that has looked into it

So next up adapter plate to fit the gt20 to the manifold which is on a little one unfortunately not being a mechanic my tools aren't great so ste sent me the drawing and this job will be out sourced to a fabricators

I managed to find someone getting rid of a discharge plate so grabbed that before it went however its going to meet modifying as I want to use the internal waste gate and this plate hits the wastegate and keeps it slightly closed

I got myself a flange and a 90 bend off ebay ready to get my downpipe welded

And here's the clutch that me and a mechanic friend will be fitting

So list of jobs left to do

Clock turbo
Get plate made
Downpipe welded
Swap actuator over
Fit the gt20
Fit clutch
Figure out the fueling issue
Get remapped
Find an Lsd that fits
Find coilovers or springs
New brakes

Any advice is great on either what parts fit or where to get them
Old 29-04-16, 02:07 PM   #33
Robzs

Robzs is on a distinguished road
Looks good mate
Robzs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-16, 04:21 PM   #34
talkingcars

talkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robzs View Post
Looks good mate
Hi and welcome to the forum.

James
Old 29-04-16, 04:25 PM   #35
talkingcars

talkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to behold
That intercooler install looks good but don't leave your keys on the floor, you'll stand on them!

If you don't have any decent tools have a look at the pro range in Halfords, 99% of the time they have a sizable discount on last years range.
Old 29-04-16, 07:36 PM   #36
Mark S

Mark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to all
may be able to get a plate laser cut from 10mm steel to mate the new turbo to old flange, can you dimension it up?
Mark S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-16, 09:34 PM   #37
M.jenks

The dimensions for you sir

Old 29-04-16, 11:52 PM   #38
M.jenks

Had both my kids today while the wife was at uni so could only do a tiny bit of work while my son had his nap so with help from my 3yr old daughter this is a little mock up

Old 30-04-16, 01:57 AM   #39
M.jenks

Also looking a different diff for the car would a Lsd from the t16 fit failing that there one on eBay for the pg1 box

So anything else I might need
Recommendations?

New diff
I have a clutch
Have a short shift fitted
And have new drive shafts on it
180 brakes front and rear fitted

Suspension?
Old 30-04-16, 07:07 AM   #40
Mark S

Mark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to all
the quaife diff would be the one to go for, they wear out but have a life time warranty (check terms)
the Torsten b as fitted by rover - most will be old and worn out by now, they wear open and become useless, whilst most people will argue with this and tell me how great it still is, most people are only using it on the road and have never hit the race circuit in real anger where the diff shows how good or bad it is.
my carbon plate diff is probably due a rebuild after 18months!!

not a fan of a quick shift on the pg1, it will wear out the synchros and isn't really that much faster at changing gear, it just forces things.

suspension tuning will always make a car faster

Last edited by Mark S; 30-04-16 at 07:10 AM.
Mark S is offline   Reply With Quote