theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > Technical Area > Build Projects > Smokey's site track day car

Old 06-08-12, 07:51 AM   #11
ZS
IT Administrator

ZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of light
I assume the engine will need to be drained of all fluids (including gearbox oil) before transport (as otherwise will leak everywhere anyway...)

Biggest problem for me is removing the engine (although it will be done in the timescales) - if anyone down this way wants to give a hand with that then I'd be most appreactiative - Means engine hoist and pallet needed I guess!

I love it when people call me at 3 AM. "Hey, you asleep?" "No, I'm skydiving."

http://www.bexairbrushing.co.uk
ZS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-12, 08:12 AM   #12
stamford
Site Owner

stamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud of
Not sure what I can do to offer as I have to watch my back and the fact that I am due in hospital very soon. Also hoping to go away end of the month on holiday, assuming the hospital don't cause any damage to me!

I could get a pallet, actually I think I have one tucked away from the last engine delivery!
Old 06-08-12, 08:15 AM   #13
Smokey
The Alan Gow of OBTCC

Smokey is a splendid one to beholdSmokey is a splendid one to beholdSmokey is a splendid one to beholdSmokey is a splendid one to beholdSmokey is a splendid one to beholdSmokey is a splendid one to beholdSmokey is a splendid one to beholdSmokey is a splendid one to beholdSmokey is a splendid one to beholdSmokey is a splendid one to behold
I'm so amateur, I don't have a rank! As said in text Sam, don't feel pressured to rush, as there is no hurry. I'm sure there will be someone near you as generous as the guys up here.

It's for the site track car after all!!

Plus if the car is up and running well for next years track days, I will have the time to organise a meet down there too!

2009 Forza 2 theMGZS.co.uk OBTCC 2nd Place Runner-up
2009/2010 Forza 3 theMGZS.co.uk OBTCC/Clio Cup 4th Place
2010 Forza 3 theMGZS.co.uk OBTCC/F500 Cup 2nd Place Runner-up
2011 Forza 3 theMGZS.co.uk OBTCC/Driver's Championship 3rd Place
2012 Forza 4 theMGZS.co.uk OBTCC/Driver's Championship 1st Place Winner
2012/2013 Forza 4 theMGZS.co.uk OBTCC/DTM Championship 3rd Place
Smokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-12, 08:18 AM   #14
ZS
IT Administrator

ZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by stamford View Post
Not sure what I can do to offer as I have to watch my back and the fact that I am due in hospital very soon. Also hoping to go away end of the month on holiday, assuming the hospital don't cause any damage to me!

I could get a pallet, actually I think I have one tucked away from the last engine delivery!
The Pallet would be great if possible Mick

Am I correct in saying the engine is 154kg and gearbox is 36kg... In which case its gonna be damn heavy... lol - Wonder where I can get a hoist from...

Old 06-08-12, 08:22 AM   #15
Smokey
The Alan Gow of OBTCC

Smokey is a splendid one to beholdSmokey is a splendid one to beholdSmokey is a splendid one to beholdSmokey is a splendid one to beholdSmokey is a splendid one to beholdSmokey is a splendid one to beholdSmokey is a splendid one to beholdSmokey is a splendid one to beholdSmokey is a splendid one to beholdSmokey is a splendid one to behold
I remember Corey, Jim and I lifted the last V6 into a sprinter van. Was not bloody easy but managed it! mick, is it better to leave the gearbox attached for on the pallet or will it need separated?

Hopefully youran will be able to cut us a deal too

2009 Forza 2 theMGZS.co.uk OBTCC 2nd Place Runner-up
2009/2010 Forza 3 theMGZS.co.uk OBTCC/Clio Cup 4th Place
2010 Forza 3 theMGZS.co.uk OBTCC/F500 Cup 2nd Place Runner-up
2011 Forza 3 theMGZS.co.uk OBTCC/Driver's Championship 3rd Place
2012 Forza 4 theMGZS.co.uk OBTCC/Driver's Championship 1st Place Winner
2012/2013 Forza 4 theMGZS.co.uk OBTCC/DTM Championship 3rd Place
Smokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-12, 08:28 AM   #16
stamford
Site Owner

stamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud of
With the hoist are you intending to remove the engine and box where the car currently sits? I only ask as it'll be tough trying to move said hoist over the stones! I found it tough enough on a concrete drive trying to get it moved.

Box 36kg dry
Engine 154kg dry

I could possibly borrow the works hoist again, but it isn't easy to get it into the car and awkward to move around in order to close the rear door. I said I wouldn't do it again as it nearly did my back in and damaged the car. It would also need to be done over a weekend as it'll be needed again the following week, it is used to move tooling around the machine shop.

Pity my trailer isn't road-worthy as I would use that to shift it.
Old 06-08-12, 08:33 AM   #17
stamford
Site Owner

Have emailed my mate this morning to see what the score is on the pallet load.

Would suggest trying to keep it attached as one if possible, assuming the hoist is stable enough and that'll depend on the ground it is on. Plus it'll be a tight squeeze on one pallet if assembled, if split it'll need two palllets I reckon.
Old 06-08-12, 08:37 AM   #18
ZS
IT Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stamford View Post
With the hoist are you intending to remove the engine and box where the car currently sits? I only ask as it'll be tough trying to move said hoist over the stones! I found it tough enough on a concrete drive trying to get it moved.
Was considering pushing the car onto the block paving, lifitng the engine out then pushing the car back again, then drop the engine direct onto pallet and strapping down there and then - would hope to do that withing a few days of delivery, unless I can find a way of moving the pallet etc

Old 06-08-12, 08:38 AM   #19
stamford
Site Owner

Once on a pallet you will find it hard to move it, been then! Shared drive can be a pain!