theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > theMGZS.co.uk > General Discussion

Old 07-04-11, 09:35 AM   #1
zsserbia

zsserbia will become famous soon enough
Needing your thoughts on this one...

Since I got my ZS I've been checking out youtube for some official test drives from back when it was launched. All I could find was mgzeds part1 to 7 and I appreciated that Tiff confirmed my opinion that ZS was the best in the range. But sure was disappointed it was not compared to any other "driver's cars" of the time. Don't think it was so unique not to be compared with anything on the market for sure, nor I think it was the worst. Maybe some of you guys remember or have any links how it was marketed/tested for audience back then.

Another thing, as many of my friends and myself love "Top gear" for it's humor, apart from their unprofessional but still sufficient road/track tests, tell me one thing: How come they have chosen to mock the ZT V8 (which me also thinks it was rubbish but only because of it's rwd and not too many horses) by the fat guy Clarkson and not chosen to praise some better one such as ZS 180? Is it just being theatrical in rwd powersliding and not reaching fast times on the track or what?

Are they not allowed to praise any of the British fine motors directly - not even newer Aston's, Jags (I know for one thing that Jamie Langton loved the ZS) or is it just their sense of humor making other cars rubbish (German, French, American, etc) and at the end of the show saying that for example Range Rover is the worst car in the world, but at the same time the best car in the world (better than BMW X6 for one thing...)?! What do you think is the point there?

Sorry for the long post, but I hope it makes sense to you local guys...

Do have a nice motoring day
zsserbia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-11, 10:07 AM   #2
stamford
Site Owner

stamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud of
Have you looked in this section? http://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/forumdis...=68&order=desc

As for Top Gear, I take what they say with a pinch of salt as it is not the Top Gear of old with Chris Goffey, William Woollard, Tony Mason a very young Tiff et al when they really did carry out proper road tests and comparative reporting in a 30 minute slot. Today it is about ego's and going sideways until the tyres blow.
Old 07-04-11, 10:37 AM   #3
ZS Phil

ZS Phil has a spectacular aura aboutZS Phil has a spectacular aura about
This compares it to a type r and 172 http://www.break.com/usercontent/200...-Mg-Zs-393479#
Old 07-04-11, 10:46 AM   #4
caled

caled is just really nicecaled is just really nicecaled is just really nicecaled is just really nicecaled is just really nice
Actually, in fairness, Top Gear hasnt been that bad about MG. The ZT V8 was supposed to be the top of the range MG, but even the .org'ers admit that the V6 190 was probably a better car, and so back handed compliments are probably all it deserves.
The ZS and ZT were favourably reviewed by Tiff Needell (as youve seen on youtube), the SV was liked (especially as it tried to eat clarkson), and the ZS was favourably reviewed by Clarkson in his Times article. In one show I was amazed to see a couple of months back, he was stood next to an MX5, and MR2 and a Fiat Barchetta and declared he would rather have had an MG TF.

Another review you might want to look out for was a top gear review comparing the mk1 ZS 180 against the old civic type r and a clio RS. A rather dodgy quality video of it is here:
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x8t...-rs-mg-zs_auto (just seen this was posted above)

Also, theres this evo review comparing the mk1 ZS 180 with another civic type r, a clio 172 and this time also a Golf V5. It also contains this gem (spoiler alert):
Quote:
The MG ZS 180 is the surprise of the bunch, proving to be a thoroughly well sorted car with character and ability in equal measure.
So, overall, the reviews of the ZS especially were fair, but generally very positive. The only bit they picked on was the fact it was old tech, essentially, but then why change what works so damned well?
Old 07-04-11, 11:12 AM   #5
zsserbia

Thx mate, I've checked the media section, some of the things I haven't seen before. But still i have a dilemma is the Zed range shown by the presenters to be any good, or better or worse than others, all the humor, egoism and blown tires set aside. Sense of humor and modern trends I understand, but whilst not being in touch with you local people, it's the stuff behind the curtains I don't understand. Car companies are to present their motors in the best possible way, but when you don't get objective opinion from the TV presenters or Journalists then you don't get the clear image if the particular cars are any good. I understand why you guys love your Zeds now that I have one, but sadly no one was there to encourage me to actually buy one at home. As I didn't bump to your community before, I had to rely solely to me, myself and I and purchase the thing at my own risk (I have some motoring knowledge and I know my computers as well, so I did go for a thorough inspection and a good test drive). My point is I had to convince myself why should I have one and that is not much of a marketing if you know what I mean. My question is, was there any media out there to convince you beyond reasonable doubt why you should purchase yours ?

Hoping I'm not bothering you to much, but If I was local I would have understood all this without asking for second opinion...
Old 07-04-11, 11:30 AM   #6
stamford
Site Owner

stamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud of
I guess from experience we did have press releases here, the BTCC also promoted it as well as many racing circuits using the ZS helped raise the profile. However in the second hand market it is only forums like these that can assist people, like yourself, to make informed decisions. From new it is like any other marque, you make a decision based on what you see and drive, motoring programmes like TG rarely assist on buying an everyday car. At least with the likes of us on here you get both sides, those that love them for what they are and those that hate them for what they are! Granted they are not the best things since sliced bread, but on the other hand they are not a bad car when compared with similar marques, it's all about the overall package and experence.

I have owned around 60 cars in my lifetime, raced a few as well so for me to have owned this particular ZS for 6 years is making a huge statement! It is the longest I have ever owned a car.
Old 07-04-11, 11:39 AM   #7
zsserbia

Thank you Phil and Caled, the above was a reply to Stamford (I didn't quote because I was typing at the same time you were posting). Than you so much guys, you've been very helpful. But now I think you understand why people overseas are so ignorant and reserved about the zeds and why most of them never even heard of the and never seen the MG badge. For my ZS everyone finds it beautiful but starts to respect it only after having a ride with me. Suppose they think it's just another 45. Another fact is that there aren't so many of them to choose from at most popular lhd used car sites now that they're 6+ years old and forgotten. As for the lhd MK2 it appears to be only one in Belgium for sale at the moment, can you believe it? Maybe they didn't produced too many for export before they went bust... Anyways I love being original in sort of way and I don't care to prove to anyone back home that my zed is any good, as long as you guys know it actually is. Cheers for that
Old 07-04-11, 11:56 AM   #8
zsserbia

Quote:
Originally Posted by stamford View Post
I guess from experience we did have press releases here, the BTCC also promoted it as well as many racing circuits using the ZS helped raise the profile. However in the second hand market it is only forums like these that can assist people, like yourself, to make informed decisions. From new it is like any other marque, you make a decision based on what you see and drive, motoring programmes like TG rarely assist on buying an everyday car. At least with the likes of us on here you get both sides, those that love them for what they are and those that hate them for what they are! Granted they are not the best things since sliced bread, but on the other hand they are not a bad car when compared with similar marques, it's all about the overall package and experence.

I have owned around 60 cars in my lifetime, raced a few as well so for me to have owned this particular ZS for 6 years is making a huge statement! It is the longest I have ever owned a car.
Interesting point you got there, very much convincing... So what would be the conclusion, something like:

ZS'es are like Misses - not to be driven by the, charming as the, moody as the, can't live with' em can't live without' em, but still you' ve got to love them... Lol? or maybe something else, feel free to rephrase it, I'm not actually Shakespeare ya know
Old 07-04-11, 12:17 PM   #9
stamford
Site Owner

It is hard to compare the ZS to any other car as it is not like any other car. It is fairly unique due to its age and pedigree, however what they did to it to make it an MG was something special. The 'Z' range of MGs are not like previous BL or Rover badged MGs so those that knew the older 80s versions are most likely comparing it to them. The MGs of the late 90s and 2000s are a different breed altogether. Unfortunately Rover and MG were having a tough time and it was a case of too little too late and no-one took them seriously until it was too late. Only now do people realise what a decent car the ZS is, but it is only those that have driven them know this, most will dismiss it as a tarted up Rover. The winners being us who have them and enjoy them. Granted it's no Audi, BMW or EVO, but then again why follow the herd? Get yourself a copy of the original sales brochures off ebay on the MG range, some interestng reading in there.
Old 07-04-11, 02:01 PM   #10
zsserbia

Quote:
Originally Posted by stamford View Post
It is hard to compare the ZS to any other car as it is not like any other car. It is fairly unique due to its age and pedigree, however what they did to it to make it an MG was something special. The 'Z' range of MGs are not like previous BL or Rover badged MGs so those that knew the older 80s versions are most likely comparing it to them. The MGs of the late 90s and 2000s are a different breed altogether. Unfortunately Rover and MG were having a tough time and it was a case of too little too late and no-one took them seriously until it was too late. Only now do people realise what a decent car the ZS is, but it is only those that have driven them know this, most will dismiss it as a tarted up Rover. The winners being us who have them and enjoy them. Granted it's no Audi, BMW or EVO, but then again why follow the herd? Get yourself a copy of the original sales brochures off ebay on the MG range, some interestng reading in there.
I couldn't agree more, now that I fully understand the concept. On the other hand, there's nothing that impresses me at audi's or BMW's of the time...