theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > theMGZS.co.uk > General Discussion

Old 12-05-12, 12:26 AM   #1
vanishing days

vanishing days will become famous soon enough
mondeo diesels help

for some reason i have agread to go and have a look at and 04 diesel mondeo sunday morning with a friend as he has no taste you should see his misses

anyway after telling him i no nothing about them apart from id rather shoot myself in the face with a 12 guage shotgun than drive one he still seems to want me to come. does anyine no of any common problems to look out for or even beter reasons not to by it

cheers
Old 12-05-12, 12:32 AM   #2
Lukeus101

Lukeus101 is a name known to allLukeus101 is a name known to allLukeus101 is a name known to allLukeus101 is a name known to allLukeus101 is a name known to allLukeus101 is a name known to allLukeus101 is a name known to all
Just found an owners review on another problem:

I thought I'd share my experience of the Mondeo MK3 with those looking to buy one, and give the kind of information I wish that I had before buying.
I'll keep it short and not so sweet:
• If you're looking at an early MK3, there was a handbrake cable fault which causes the rear brakes to stick (Discs Not Drums). It's a really common problem. In fact the design of the rear brakes is quite poor. There's a self adjusting spring on the enormous handbrake cable which doesn't allow the caliper to release properly, causing the brakes to bind. When you test the car; listen for squeaking it may not bind until the brakes are hot so make sure you get them hot. The handbrake cable may travel excessivley and braking under speed may be poor. Once you've given the car a good run, feel the two rear wheels for excessive heat. Getting these brakes sorted has been a nightmare, not even Ford have been able to resolve it.
• Alternator went after 112k. The alternator belt is around 12ft long and pig to change. Left stranded.(UPDATE: Replacement Alternator failed after less than a year, turns out that a fuel pipe had chafed and allowed diesel to leak into the alternator)
• Rear suspension bushes gone at 112k, looks a nightmare to sort.
• Poor and discontnued EGR valve turbo hose design causes excessive smoking on TDDi and TDCI models. had to have the car plugged in to find fault. Get someone to follow you whilst you test drive.
Above are the faults I've had in the last 3 months of ownership of a 2.0l Y Reg Mondeo LX.
Parts for this Mondeo seem quite expensive in comparison with other models.
Other general tips:
Check that the service history ties in with the car, it could have been faked as it's easily done for a few quid.
Do an HPI report, it's worth the 20 odd quid. Accident damaged cars can be dangerous and it'll give you an idea of the correct mileage.
Check things like the Air-con work, are there any oil marks on the engine (the cover just flips off) or on their driveway.
I have since found this excellent site which has a forum discussing a lot of common problems Ford mondeo. Org
Beware, do your research and if it seems cheap it's probably for a very good reason!!

ZS Appreciation Facebook Group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/475756782447499/

> ZR 105 (Broken) > MK2 ZS 180 (Sold) > MK1 ZS 180 (Sold) > ZR Replica (Dead) > MK1 ZS 180 (Broken)
Lukeus101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-12, 12:45 AM   #3
grimmy
its ginger its phenomenal

grimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud of
Not a clue really but my mate had the st version which cost him a fair bit when the egr valve went so ask if its been changed common problem apparently.
Old 12-05-12, 06:08 AM   #4
dida4g

dida4g has a spectacular aura aboutdida4g has a spectacular aura about
Just Google 'Mondeo Injector problems'.........not good.
My neighbour has the Jag Xtype D (ford engine)on a 54, It's been stood for 4 weeks.

Last edited by dida4g; 12-05-12 at 06:12 AM.
dida4g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-12, 02:54 PM   #5
andy-81

andy-81 has a spectacular aura aboutandy-81 has a spectacular aura about
as dida said you need to watch for the injectors these are a major flaw on these cars, just for the part your looking at 450 then the fitting charge. to be fair i wouldnt touch one with a barge pole, if i had one
andy-81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-12, 06:06 PM   #6
vanishing days

vanishing days will become famous soon enough
cheers guys will let you now how it is
Old 12-05-12, 06:15 PM   #7
zsserbia

zsserbia will become famous soon enough
Tddi is less painful to own than tdci, having no dmf and no electronic injectors, these things alone are going to eat your wallet. Diagnostics check is a must before buying any (genuine ford diagnostics equipment which monitors the fueling in real time). Tdci must run perfectly smooth at idle and deliver the power perfectly smooth otherwise steer clear of it.
zsserbia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-12, 06:20 PM   #8
Quadcam24

Quadcam24 is a jewel in the roughQuadcam24 is a jewel in the roughQuadcam24 is a jewel in the rough
i had a 53 reg tdci 130 ghia......great car , went very well, handled very well, build quality to shame any mg, great economy and very practical, never had a single problem with it.
Only reason i got rid was because it felt a bit old mans car, and i wanted something more exciting.
Quadcam24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-12, 07:58 PM   #9
Jem

Jem is on a distinguished road
My dad had no end of problems with a Diesel Mondeo about 5 years ago,He had to get shot of that one as the warranty was nearly out and it would of cost big money to fix it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me View Post
How can I be so thirsty in the morning, when I drank so much last night?:
Jem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-12, 03:46 PM   #10
daytona365

daytona365 is a jewel in the roughdaytona365 is a jewel in the roughdaytona365 is a jewel in the rough
Injectors, EGR valves handbrake cables and the rear subframe bushes all MAJOR probs. We get through loads at out garage, either through workshop or sale to trade...

One of the probs is the injectors have to be coded, so not a stright foprward swap job!!
daytona365 is offline   Reply With Quote