theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > theMGZS.co.uk > General Discussion

Old 01-12-12, 07:59 AM   #11
sneekyparrot

sneekyparrot is a jewel in the roughsneekyparrot is a jewel in the roughsneekyparrot is a jewel in the roughsneekyparrot is a jewel in the rough
Angry

just found the guy i bought mine from still selling these on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.ie/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...m=261082015315

i have mailed him and will await a response.

P.
Old 01-12-12, 08:00 AM   #12
petet16
Technical Expert R.I.P.

petet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to behold
I'd noticed that the Black series are satin black, and also that they have serial and part numbers on them, although the Gold and plain metal ones don't.

The ones Rob supplied don't have the numbers on them either, but skunk2's website is showing pictures of current items, the ones supplied may be older stock, the whole thing is a minefield tbh and short of having an arm analyzed to establish the metal content it's going to be very difficult to tell fake from genuine.

R.I.P. Peter David Scott 18.07.59 to 21.11.16
Will be missed by us all but we will always remember you.

petet16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-12, 08:05 AM   #13
petet16
Technical Expert R.I.P.

petet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneekyparrot View Post
just found the guy i bought mine from still selling these on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.ie/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...m=261082015315

i have mailed him and will await a response.

P.
Hard to tell, the pic is very likely not the actual items he's selling, he probably lifted them from Skunk2's website, his f/b isn't great either.

Old 01-12-12, 08:11 AM   #14
sneekyparrot

sneekyparrot is a jewel in the roughsneekyparrot is a jewel in the roughsneekyparrot is a jewel in the roughsneekyparrot is a jewel in the rough
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by petet16 View Post
I'd noticed that the Black series are satin black, and also that they have serial and part numbers on them, although the Gold and plain metal ones don't.

The ones Rob supplied don't have the numbers on them either, but skunk2's website is showing pictures of current items, the ones supplied may be older stock, the whole thing is a minefield tbh and short of having an arm analyzed to establish the metal content it's going to be very difficult to tell fake from genuine.
ummm be interested if rob comes back with supplier details?

kinda puts a serious doubt about fitting these unless rob can confirm supplier and that they are 100% skunk.

my fault with mine i should of checked his feed back first, no wonder they were cheap!

i have logged a complaint with pay pal and will contact eBay but doubt much will come of it :-/

P.
Old 01-12-12, 08:14 AM   #15
Nobrainer

Nobrainer has a spectacular aura aboutNobrainer has a spectacular aura about
I emailed the ebay guy a couple of data ago asking for some pictures including close ups of the bushes as I was considering them. He hasn't replied and boy am I glad I haven't done it! Funny thing is I'm paranoid about buying anything of ebay but was reassured by sneakyparrots dealing with him!
Nobrainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-12, 08:22 AM   #16
petet16
Technical Expert R.I.P.

If you buy from an authorized Skunk2 dealer in the US they're $247 a set, so anything much cheaper than that are suspect, there are only 2 authorized dealers in Europe in Holland and the Ukraine, which kind of makes you think most if not all the ebay ones are knock offs.

Rob appears to have dismissed peoples fears about them being copies as a joke, I'd like to know where he sourced them from.

Old 01-12-12, 08:49 AM   #17
stamford
Site Owner

stamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud of
Had alot of trouble getting onto the RT website last night and this morning it is offline for maintenance.

Personally they look good, the bushes are 8 groove but could be an old batch. There is nothing there that would make me think fake, no poor machining, no porosity of the alloy which tells me it is forged perhaps? If anything it may be a general grade alloy like 6082-T6 which isn't a bad alloy just not as structural as 2014A, however 6082 is not suitable for anodising so it can't be that. What grade did you say it was Pete, was it 2024? If so that is probably a newer version of 2014.

I am confident they are genuine and the alloy is okay.
Old 01-12-12, 08:52 AM   #18
petet16
Technical Expert R.I.P.

2024T6 Mick, mine look fine quality wise, but I would like to know where Rob sourced them from.

Old 01-12-12, 09:05 AM   #19
stamford
Site Owner

stamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud of
I may check to see if our metallurgists at work are able to carry out any tests.
Old 01-12-12, 09:17 AM   #20
petet16
Technical Expert R.I.P.

Further reading on skunk2's website reveals that a pair of genuine arms weigh 5lbs, and nearly all the fakes are heavier, I weighed mine at 4lbs 15.4ozs which is slightly underweight but I have taken some metal off the lower shock mount which would account for that.