theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > Technical Area > Build Projects

Old 30-03-13, 09:00 AM   #11
fatdave

fatdave is on a distinguished road
really like this. will like it more without the stickers though interesting engine conversion too
fatdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-13, 09:42 AM   #12
peterzs
promoted bloke!

peterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to behold
Smile

Well done, all great work and looks better than when it came out of the factory.

Look forward to more updates.

Old 01-05-13, 10:11 PM   #13
Malteser

Malteser is on a distinguished road
So a quick update.

The brake issue that I had before was actually the store's problem because they gave me the front discs for a 420D instead of my 414. The only difference was that the hub is 3mm deeper and that made all the difference. They replaced those for me and voila, brakes work well again and no squealing from the front!

In the engine compartment I knew that my boost hoses were starting to crack and would soon split. I took my motto of "Don't replace. Upgrade!" and measured everything up and pieced together an aluminum and silicone set from an eBay seller.

So while waiting for this set, and still driving around, I all of a sudden here vroooooom PFSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS! Let off the gas, and back on and I here it again. This time, less vroom and almost immediate PFSSSSS. I get home and see this:

I looked at that and thought "I don't think that should be like that!" So then I used one of two of man's best friends. Duct Tape. That gave me this:

That was last week. This week I received this in the mail:

So I put it together, fitted it, and now the engine bay looks nice and shiny(er):

Now this coming week, I book some time at a garage to get a few things done. This includes a new CV boot, inner tie rods for the steering with boots, swap over the top wishbones to get the MG geometry, and also shorten my clutch slave cylinder pin because it is not releasing the clutch enough and letting it slip. Then an alignment and onto the next project!

That is all for now. Will keep updated as soon as I get more done to it!
Malteser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-13, 07:14 AM   #14
stamford
Site Owner

stamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud of
A much better upgrade, that hose was very old!
Old 02-05-13, 09:11 AM   #15
peterzs
promoted bloke!

peterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to behold
Got your moneys worth out of the old boost pipe, like the new set up.

My derv popped the clip off the bottom of the intercooler, OK up to 1500 revs then it would pop it off. Interesting drive into Silverstone, having to stop and push it back on, every so often.

Got a new clip and fixed it, least it was a excuse not to go round the track with all the big Jap boys, was raining and a Trax day.
Old 02-05-13, 09:17 AM   #16
Malteser

Quote:
Originally Posted by stamford View Post
A much better upgrade, that hose was very old!
Yeah, it looks to be really old but held well under the abuse until it kicked the bucket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterzs View Post
Got your moneys worth out of the old boost pipe, like the new set up.

My derv popped the clip off the bottom of the intercooler, OK up to 1500 revs then it would pop it off. Interesting drive into Silverstone, having to stop and push it back on, every so often.

Got a new clip and fixed it, least it was a excuse not to go round the track with all the big Jap boys, was raining and a Trax day.
Lol...that must have been some trip! Guessing it took a little longer to get there then usual!

I am going to go over all the other pipes soon and see if there are any others that look like they need replacing like coolant hoses and things but I think they are all fine.

Now that the turbo pipes are good though, I can boost with my mind at rest.

Last edited by Malteser; 02-05-13 at 11:29 AM.
Old 02-05-13, 09:41 AM   #17
peterzs
promoted bloke!

Smile

Left a lot of smoke across the road, thats why I had to stop and push it back on!!!!!!!!!!

I had passed a few on the way up, they then went by, all OK apart from a Range Rover who hooted his little hooter, all the way past. Tosser I reckon.

Or maybe I had just lost my sense of humour.

Trouble is when it pops you imagine the worse, engine blown up, or something.

Old 03-05-13, 08:55 AM   #18
p_b82
Site Supporter

p_b82 is a jewel in the roughp_b82 is a jewel in the roughp_b82 is a jewel in the rough
that split was impressive!

reminds me of the time before i have the the top pipe outwardly rolled (sorry can't think of the proper term) so that the clamp had something to push against not just slide off...

with the injectors my car was running at the time the smoke was insane when it popped off and I had no boost....

that pipework should outlast anything you throw at it though - as long as it does not rub through anyways
Dieselpowered
Fitting Custom Hybrid Turbo (1856GTBv) & controller; Remap, swirlpot, lift pump
AMW Motorsports
Custom exhaust manifold & downpipe
p_b82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-13, 02:13 PM   #19
Malteser

No, it shouldn't rub at all. There is enough clearance all the way around. The smoke behind the car was pretty excessive. Looked like the Pope died with all the black smoke! That could be due to the uprated injectors or my heavy foot. But most likely both
Old 10-06-13, 04:59 AM   #20
Malteser

Well it's been a while since I updated this post but I havent had much time to do much of anything to the car. Just started a new full time job as a computer tech so between that, the part time school teaching, private music students that I have and girlfriend, the car has unfortunately taken a backseat for the moment.

I did however take it for a good clean this week and was surprised at how well the paint still shines on this 17 year old car. This was just after a regular wash and wipe down in which I took about 2 hours cause I worked on both inside and out. Love the reflection on this car!

Last edited by Malteser; 10-06-13 at 06:45 PM.