AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > theMGZS.co.uk > General Discussion

Old 10-01-14, 08:37 AM   #1
Greatmg!

Greatmg! is on a distinguished road
Code reader and adding features?

Morning!

I am looking for a code reader for my ZS and have been pointed in the direction of this from ebay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ELM-327-OB...70710351625%26

Thoughts?

Also, my daily driver is a Golf and I have a system called VCDS for that, which allows me to recode the ECU and add features such as comfort indicating etc.

Does the ZS have 2 ECUs and is it possible to change the coding to add new features?

Paul.
Greatmg! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-14, 09:29 AM   #2
peterzs
promoted bloke!

peterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to behold
Smile

Looks a good bit of kit, but all this electronic stuff is all magic to me, someone will come along that knows.

Old 10-01-14, 01:08 PM   #3
Enright

Enright is a jewel in the roughEnright is a jewel in the roughEnright is a jewel in the roughEnright is a jewel in the rough
Depends on what model ZS you have to an extent. I've got one of those readers and a Mk2 TD. It has 2 engine management lights and the code reader can't do anything about one of them if it gets lit.
On the other, it works fine. If I remember correctly the petrol models were fully OBDII compliant.

Mk2 MG ZS TD 115 with full 180 kit (and 2x Lotus Elan SE Turbos)
Enright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-14, 01:57 PM   #4
Greatmg!

Ok, I have a ZS180, which is OBDII compliant, I guess a better question would have been:

'What software do I need to recode the BCU for adding new or amending existing features?'

Am I correct in assuming the ECU and BCU are totally separate and that the BCU controls everything to do with electrical gizmos while the ECU just controls the engine and ABS?

Paul.
Old 10-01-14, 02:06 PM   #5
petet16
Technical Expert R.I.P.

petet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to behold
Only T4 can change/add features in the bcu.

R.I.P. Peter David Scott 18.07.59 to 21.11.16
Will be missed by us all but we will always remember you.

Last edited by petet16; 10-01-14 at 02:23 PM.
petet16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-14, 02:07 PM   #6
ZS
IT Administrator

ZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of light
You will need Rovercon software IIRC and if its even still around...

I have the bluetooth version of that ODBII reader and it will only do the basics with your 180.

I love it when people call me at 3 AM. "Hey, you asleep?" "No, I'm skydiving."

http://www.bexairbrushing.co.uk
ZS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-14, 02:08 PM   #7
Enright

Enright is a jewel in the roughEnright is a jewel in the roughEnright is a jewel in the roughEnright is a jewel in the rough
Ah right. The OBDII diagnostic tool won't help at all for that - it's simply used for reading and resetting error codes. There are some basic monitoring functions too, but no re-programming is possible.

I think you need an MG/Rover T4 tool and interface to do reprogramming - and I believe the tool is the size of a small cabinet (although a modern smartphone is probably more powerful)!

On Mk2s the BCU/BSI lives behind the climate control panel, and is simply a central interface into which all the other systems (e.g. central locking, windows and ECU) plug via the wiring loom.

Mk2 MG ZS TD 115 with full 180 kit (and 2x Lotus Elan SE Turbos)
Enright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-14, 03:18 PM   #8
ZRed

ZRed is a jewel in the roughZRed is a jewel in the roughZRed is a jewel in the roughZRed is a jewel in the rough
BCU is a thing of voodoo. Not all features can be unlocked. For example, a non electric window BCU cannot be reprogrammed by any aftermarket diagnostic machine - including T4 - to allow electric windows to be fitted.
Old 10-01-14, 05:18 PM   #9
Greatmg!

I think I'm starting to get the message that the MG isn't quite as user friendly as my other car!

Ok, I'll look at getting the diagnostics cable from ebay and leave it there for now.

If I ever want to 'upgrade' with things like heated seats etc, I'll ask about and see what needs to be done on a case by case basis.

Thanks for all the replies.

Paul.
Old 10-01-14, 05:40 PM   #10
petet16
Technical Expert R.I.P.

petet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to behold
Heated seats are easy, just plug 'em in and add the switches and relays.

R.I.P. Peter David Scott 18.07.59 to 21.11.16
Will be missed by us all but we will always remember you.

petet16 is offline   Reply With Quote