theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > Technical Area > Build Projects

Old 13-10-16, 06:59 AM   #1
JOHNDQ

JOHNDQ is on a distinguished road
It the same basic shape but it doesn't have the area front and rear where the flaps on the flap version does to allow as much oil though by the looks. I did look at that one but I'm always a bit worried about buying from ebay as the quality is sometimes questionable. Cant imagine DVA would sell a inferior part tho but might order another one to compare
JOHNDQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-16, 08:09 PM   #2
JOHNDQ

Went for a change on the sump baffle changed over to the viton flap version on the right....

Old 10-10-16, 08:28 PM   #3
JOHNDQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skillen View Post
Jesus! Nice haul there

Think I'd have been to excited with the deal to make my fingers work.
Thanks good stuff the MK2 ZR/ZS is getting hard to find now so thought better get what I can when I can
Old 24-10-16, 08:19 AM   #4
Mark S

Mark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to all
how do they compare on cost, quality & functionality/purpose?
Mark S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-16, 09:41 AM   #5
JOHNDQ

Cost wise about £15 more for the flap version, as for quality the alloy thickness etc is 100% the same as is the main shape. Main reason I changed is because the one on the right will help to stop oil surge under braking as it as the 2 flaps and plate at the front which the original one doesn't so under hard braking all the oil could still go to the front of the sump. Only way could really compare tho is to data log oil pressure on track with both types
Old 24-10-16, 01:29 PM   #6
Mark S

Mark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNDQ View Post
Cost wise about £15 more for the flap version,
considering the cost of those flaps, that seems like really good value for money?

It must be better for oil returning to the centre on exit from a corner also?
Old 24-10-16, 05:20 PM   #7
JOHNDQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S View Post
considering the cost of those flaps, that seems like really good value for money?

It must be better for oil returning to the centre on exit from a corner also?
Well I guess for £65 its cheaper than the engine oil I use (millers 5w40NT) and considering what I spend on engine id like to give it its best change dont want to be doing anything to though 2017 I hope. Dave at DVA said with his one you may need to cut extra grooves into it if you needed more oil flow but in all honesty without logging how would you know but with the flap version that should be sorted. Apparently this type is what MG used on the 190 spec cars originally but I cant confirm that
Old 24-10-16, 06:34 PM   #8
Mark S

I think its alternative for the 190 cars as the original setup is no longer available, the original 190 version was more of a box but I remember Paul Luti saying that a bit was prone to come away/break off and it was over £250+vat when it was available.
I think the type you have was made as an alternative replacement for new 190 engine builds as it created a box in a similar way to the old style, controlling oil under braking and lat G (typically 1.25 mean ave) whereas accelerative G would be less than half that in 2nd gear and declining through the cogs.
Old 24-10-16, 07:31 PM   #9
JOHNDQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S View Post
I think its alternative for the 190 cars as the original setup is no longer available, the original 190 version was more of a box but I remember Paul Luti saying that a bit was prone to come away/break off and it was over £250+vat when it was available.
I think the type you have was made as an alternative replacement for new 190 engine builds as it created a box in a similar way to the old style, controlling oil under braking and lat G (typically 1.25 mean ave) whereas accelerative G would be less than half that in 2nd gear and declining through the cogs.
Yeah the people who made it said they based it on the original version which wasn't available any more and was crazy expensive but said they sell a lot to the MG Trophy boys and no one had any problems but I would think after a while of being in oil the flaps may start to expand. To be fair tho my ZR had 109k, was on original engine and I done 2 years of trackdays with slicks and big brakes all the bearings, crack, cams etc were all in really good condition when I rebuilt it so cant had any oil surge
Old 02-11-16, 10:43 PM   #10
JOHNDQ

Well only few days left till trackday and everything turning into made rush again, got sump off at weekend to fit the baffle only to find my sump was different to the normal k series so been on a mad hunt to find another sump.....

As you can see mine had another bit of cast on the right hand side but anyway that done now and thought i would try some Millers NT oil see what all the fuzz is about hopefully with give me another full HP....

Also noticed i had a split c.v boot so be a cold one after work tomoz night getting that sorted.