theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > theMGZS.co.uk > General Discussion

Old 19-09-12, 08:35 AM   #51
carmadbaker

carmadbaker has a spectacular aura aboutcarmadbaker has a spectacular aura about
Hatchbacks look like rovers... Saloons look like MG's ;-)

-MK1 MG ZS T16 Turbo 2.1
-Lotus Elise S2 111

You Can't Spell Dangerous Without "Dan"
carmadbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-12, 08:41 AM   #52
ZS
IT Administrator

ZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkerDnB View Post
we should settle this with a top gear style challenge!!! saloon vs hatch
Wouldn't work unless you have two totally standard cars with the same service history and same tyres etc... otherwise one or the other will have an advantage! plus then there is driver ability...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete mufc bowker View Post
the hatch is better on handling and lighter...
If thats the case, why is the 75 Tourer better handling than the saloon version

I think it depends on the car, and in this case (in my experience of my 6 ZS's) the Saloon tips the handling stakes (unless you have upgraded suspension on the hatch) - then again it could just be down to the driver!

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmadbaker View Post
Hatchbacks look like rovers... Saloons look like MG's ;-)
Agreed. Solar Red Hatches with Sunroofs are Rovers, not MG's lol

I love it when people call me at 3 AM. "Hey, you asleep?" "No, I'm skydiving."

http://www.bexairbrushing.co.uk
ZS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-12, 08:45 AM   #53
petet16
Technical Expert R.I.P.

petet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to behold
The saloon shell is stiffer than the hatch so handles better, that's why the saloon went touring car racing.

The reason Ford didn't build the first Cosworth into a saloon shell is simple, the saloon Sierra wasn't available until 1987, the 3 door Cosworth was released in 1985

R.I.P. Peter David Scott 18.07.59 to 21.11.16
Will be missed by us all but we will always remember you.

Last edited by petet16; 19-09-12 at 08:53 AM.
petet16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-12, 08:51 AM   #54
Jay-ZS+
Site Supporter

Jay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by petet16 View Post
The saloon shell is stiffer than the hatch so handles better, that's why the saloon went touring car racing.
This ^^^ If the hatch was the better handling model it would have been used by MG in the BTCC.

2012 BMW 320d Sport
Jay-ZS+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-12, 08:53 AM   #55
Steven11

Steven11 has a spectacular aura aboutSteven11 has a spectacular aura about
I like to think of my Zed as a Montego on steroids.
Steven11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-12, 09:13 AM   #56
stamford
Site Owner

stamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud of
In the 80s and 90s it was hot hatch all day long as that was the pocket benchmark. Saloon hot versions were aimed at families and 30 somethings. The market for hot hatches were aimed at youngsters with alot of disposable income.

When it came to rallying they preferred hatches due to the space inside for accessing parts, moving trans and engines around and the fact they were shorter hence when going sideways through a tight forest there was less chance the arse kicking ripped off.

Saloons in racing are used as the arse can take a beating due to teh rubbing going on and still compete as by the end of the race it'll look like a hatch! Therefore the rear internal structure makes it stiffer, the boot is a crush zone. If a hatch took a rear end then the roof would probably creae as well if hit hard, then again a saloon would not fair much better if hit hard! Anyone remember Sopers BMW when he took out Cleland? That was more like a Compact when it finally stopped!
Old 19-09-12, 09:34 AM   #57
Craig-ZS180

Craig-ZS180 is a jewel in the roughCraig-ZS180 is a jewel in the roughCraig-ZS180 is a jewel in the roughCraig-ZS180 is a jewel in the rough
I think imo that both the hatch and saloon are good in their own ways. I have a mk1 hatch, only reason being that the weekend I went to look at the 2 possible zs's the saloon one was overpriced for what it had wrong with it. (or at least seemed it at the time plus an unknown major knocking from front put me off a little with no proof of belts from new) I would've happily walked away with either car as I think as said they both can and do look fantastic but at the time it was the hatch that came up trumps for me. Also a bonus now as is easy to get the boys bike in and out of the boot easily & all extra baby gear.

I would like a saloon as and when I can afford to have one as mates have the saloon versions but I think the hatch can also look as nice if not nicer.
At the end of the day though, as long as you like what your driving does it really matter what others say..
Just my little thought on it. ZS's rock either way
Old 19-09-12, 09:51 AM   #58
stamford
Site Owner

stamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud of
To be honest if I was looking to change my zed it would be for a mk2 and probably a hatch purely because of the use for a hatch over a boot and that I have dogs as well. I nearly bought a hatch before the saloon so not swayed either way.
Old 19-09-12, 10:30 AM   #59
Enright

Enright is a jewel in the roughEnright is a jewel in the roughEnright is a jewel in the roughEnright is a jewel in the rough
I own a Mk2 ZS hatch, and got a Mk2 R45 saloon for my Dad. They both have the same engine, so no issues there.
Before buying mine I thought that the hatch looked a bit sawn-off at the rear (a la Beemer Compact as someone else already said), but when you live with it you suddenly find yourself looking at the saloon and thinking it's a bit overly long and boat-ish!

What the ZS saloon may gain in handling due to stiffness it probably loses in practicality by the rear seats being fixed.
I also don’t like the lack of trim on inside of the boot-lid of my Dad’s 45 – it makes it sound a bit tinny and cheap when you close it.
You also have to bend down more to get stuff into and out of the furthest reaches of the boot, whereas large loads can be easily placed into and retrieved from the hatch. You can see them better too with the rear parcel shelf lifting up along with the hatch.

I have the hatch style Extreme spoiler on mine, but it can be a bit of a pain on the motorway because it goes right across your field of vision in the mirror and obscures the view of things behind. So I find myself scooching down or stretching up to try to see indicators etc (yes you DO have to be aware of what is behind as well as what’s in front)!!!

Edit: It's also nice to have the option of being able to clean your rear window to see out of it properly with the hatch's wiper - I miss it when reversing my Dad's car in the rain. And when I put mine in reverse with the front wipers on, it automatically clears my rear window for me - great when the car's covered in dew and I'm pulling out of my parking space first thing in the morning.

Mk2 MG ZS TD 115 with full 180 kit (and 2x Lotus Elan SE Turbos)

Last edited by Enright; 19-09-12 at 10:44 AM.
Enright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-12, 10:42 AM   #60
Craig-ZS180

Craig-ZS180 is a jewel in the roughCraig-ZS180 is a jewel in the roughCraig-ZS180 is a jewel in the roughCraig-ZS180 is a jewel in the rough
I think whichever one I was to have, if was a saloon rather than my hatch id love the car whatever.
I love my hatch for how useable it is though and the fact that being a hatch makes it slightly different to most local zs's as they do tend to be saloons.
Wouldn't think twice about buying another one as where others have previously said the hatches are so versatile for the medium sized car they are.